Author Topic: Firmer Shock Absorber?  (Read 19963 times)

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
Firmer Shock Absorber?
« on: December 31, 2014, 12:27:29 AM »
 I would like to put a firmer shock on the front of my '67 Smallblock Camaro.  I am currently running Monroe Sensa-tracs, anybody got some advice?
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
Re: Firmer Shock Absorber?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 03:42:40 AM »
I'm a real fan of QA-1's.  I've ran Koni's, Comp engineering. Currently I have a set of regular Monroe's in the front which offered a good street ride...

I became a QA-1 fan with the Anglia. We were running coil overs in the rear , Koni's in the front with springs dialed in to the weight of the car. Experimented with springs some to get the front end to launch "lazy" (car hits very hard). Frustrated I went with a set of coil overs in the front, single adjustable shock. Night and day. Never had bad harmonics during deceleration from the get go(springs) When the car is on a hard run is where the difference in shock quality is felt. This is a tube chassis, body welded to frame, engine plate, 89" WB drag car. Very good seat of the pants feel. I run anywhere from 125-140mph,depending on dial in, and the car just handles wonderful, even if peddling. No purposing, or erratic lifting. Wanna guess what's going on the Z when it gets buttoned up?

Simple turn of the knob adjusts compression/rebound. 16 clicks I think off the top of my head. So.. If you want to play at the strip you can lighten the rebound and keep it nose up like a 90-10, or play with it some and get the feel you are looking for on the street. BTY-tech department is great.

68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 03:58:25 AM »
some connection to the Z, that 400 block was in the Camaro for around 15 years, the 302 was in the Anglia while it was a street rod.

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 09:02:18 AM »
Has anyone here used KYB shocks?
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

Stingr69

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 09:49:46 PM »
I tried KYB, Monroe, and Bilstein on my '69.  The Monroes were last and best.  They are on the front now but I have a new project in mind to replace my poly control arm bushings with regular rubber style and will report back after I re-evaluate them.  Didn't like the KYB's much so I ripped them off.  I absolutely LOVE the Bilsteins on my C3 Vette and would not trade them for anything else on that car.  On the '69 Camaro the Bilsteins were not as impressive when used with the poly bushing setup.

Gotta replace the control arm bushings and try again....

-Mark.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 12:54:07 AM »
KYB Gas-A-Justs give a very hard, uncomfortable ride. Not bad if the road travelled is tabletop flawless and no irreguler, bumpy backroads are driven. KYB also makes factory replacements that provide a soft, comfortable ride.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 02:14:36 AM »
That Anglia has got to be a fun ride down the 1320.  I also have to say the QA1's are the best shock I have ran.

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 03:04:44 AM »
Launch is a little hairy, after that car/engine really feel like they are not even working. Very smooth. Short WB cars are a different beast though, quite an experience.

Back to the shocks, what's a"good ride" is a matter of opinion based on the driver's preference. This is the beauty of an on car adjustable shock. You don't have to do coil overs, standards are available.

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 11:20:16 PM »
Decide on a shock yet?