Author Topic: Pilkington Classics glass thickness and quality ???  (Read 10860 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Pilkington Classics glass thickness and quality ???
« on: December 31, 2013, 03:23:36 PM »
I was on the phone with Pilkington Classics Glass asking questions and they tell me their glass is thinner than original but could not tell me exactly by how much.

Just wondering if anyone who has used Pilkington Classics could see a noticeable difference in the thickness.

Also wondering if anyone could comment on their quality vs. other stuff available out there.......and it it worth the extra cost.

Thanks.....Dave

rsr

• View Profile
Re: Pilkington Classics glass thickness and quality ???
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 12:39:20 AM »
Pilkington only sells the glass as a kit they put together from different suppilers.A database with DOT #s will tell you who and where made it. A back glass and both doors could be from thailand and quarters from ohio and windsheild from mexico.Each glass will have a DOT number.Look and listen closely if who you are buying from anyone...Just my thoughts!

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 01:14:00 AM »
After getting some positive feedback on Pilkington from the Team Camaro forum, I ordered the glass directly from Pilkington Classics. I spoke to them on the phone and asked many questions before placing the order. I was told their windshields were made in Mexico and that all the other glass was made in the USA.

I also asked that if you ordered the correct date coding and "LOF" logo (which I did),  would there be any other markings on the glass. I was told that would be no other markings. We'll see what is on them when I receive them and I'll report back .

Dave

rsr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 02:15:09 AM »
The clear set I got for a 69 dated with correct logo has DOT 516 under the logo on the doors and rear but DOT 243 on quarters. A quick search on DOT numbers came up with some database sites showing numbers up in the 800s.Places all over the world. I'm waiting for another rear glass from a different supplier with the same DOT # in hopes it will fit better than the one I have now.

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 02:36:35 AM »
Can you explain what the DOT numbers mean? I am not that familiar with them.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 07:06:12 PM »
Can you explain what the DOT numbers mean? I am not that familiar with them.

Compliance with Federal regulations - identifies the glass manufacturer and glass plant location.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 07:25:05 PM »
Does this mean I should expect my Pilkington glass will come with current DOT markings that are visible in addition to the old LOF markings I am having etched.........in spite of what the guy from Pilkington told me?

I am going to call Pilkington on Monday and go over this again.

Dave

scoop

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 01:16:54 AM »
The DOT number is in a spot that is not visible when installed in the car. On the quarter windows and door windows it is on  lower end which is not visible, and the windshield and back glass it is on the lower edge and is covered by the sealant. You can only find the dot numbers if you remove the glass.  Thanks, Scoop

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 01:27:11 AM »
Thank you. That's good to know. The can put anything they want on it as long it is not visible.

By the way, is there a listing of these DOT codes so that I can decipher my glass when I get it?

Thanks.....Dave

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 03:05:44 AM »
Thank you. That's good to know. The can put anything they want on it as long it is not visible.

By the way, is there a listing of these DOT codes so that I can decipher my glass when I get it?

Thanks.....Dave
I'm considering replacing my windshield with a new Pilkington coded glass, and I'd love to see a photo of the markings they put on your windshield when you get it... :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 04:10:18 AM »
I'll send some along.

rsr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 04:50:51 PM »
 carwindsheilds.info/dot