Author Topic: Are the reproduction wheel well moldings any good yet?  (Read 4282 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
Are the reproduction wheel well moldings any good yet?
« on: December 29, 2013, 09:36:23 PM »
hey guys,

Looking to replace a EO wheel well molding that was damaged.  I remember years ago trying to fit a reproduction set, and they were horrible.  I see them supposed GM approved ones for sale on ebay.  Are they any good?  How to they fit and compare to OE?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camaro-69-Wheel-Opening-Molding-set-4pc-OE-GM-Restoration-Part-In-Stock-/150732564733?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1969%7CModel%3ACamaro&hash=item23185c68fd&vxp=mtr#ht_219wt_1127

Thanks,

Steve

scoop

• View Profile
Re: Are the reproduction wheel well moldings any good yet?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 12:29:09 AM »
I like you have purchased about every brand out there for my 1968 Camaro to find out they are junk. I did purchase a set like you posted from D & R Classics and they fit  and look as close to the originals as any I have ever seen. I would recommend them.  Scoop

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 05:26:35 PM »
I see them supposed GM approved ones for sale on ebay.  Are they any good?  How to they fit and compare to OE?

Remember that there's no such thing as "GM Approved" restoration parts. When you see the "GM-Licensed" hologram sticker, that just means that the supplier has applied for and paid for the GM license and pays a per-piece royalty fee to EMI (Equity Management Inc.), the outside third party that handles GM licensing for them. If they're lucky, they may get access to the original tooling (if it still exists and if they have the machinery to install it in). GM isn't involved in the manufacture, distribution, or sale of the parts, or in any quality checks or approvals.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

ban617

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 06:46:35 PM »
  I thought the Classic Headquarters ones were supposed to be exact thickness and finish ?

1slow64

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 11:28:12 PM »
I just received mine from SS396 but don't have any oe's to compare with....
69 X66 RALLY GREEN BLACK COMFORT WEAVE

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 05:50:32 PM »
I found I was missing one of mine after 20 years. I bought "concourse grade" from Ricks - total Skit - unusable. Then I bought one from Classic - not much better - but usable - had to make a couple relief cuts at the bolt holes to get it to bend right at the bottom. Otherwise it does kinda look like the three OEM's already on the vehicle. It is a bit thinner which actually helped because if it was original thickness it would have never formed right without a few wacks of Thor's hammer.
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

anything