Author Topic: Rally Wheels  (Read 4647 times)

DyRally-Z1986

• View Profile
Rally Wheels
« on: December 27, 2013, 08:01:18 PM »
Alright guys if this topic has been visited I apologize but I've gotten into a debate with My Dad and Uncle about the color of the back side of the Rally Wheels on my Z/28. They said they are supposed to be Gray, and Silver on the front side. If I read the Revised edition of the Definitive Book correctly it states semi gloss on the back side. Anyone have any input...

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Rally Wheels
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 09:08:43 PM »
Alright guys if this topic has been visited I apologize but I've gotten into a debate with My Dad and Uncle about the color of the back side of the Rally Wheels on my Z/28. They said they are supposed to be Gray, and Silver on the front side. If I read the Revised edition of the Definitive Book correctly it states semi gloss on the back side. Anyone have any input...

They're semi-gloss black on the back side - they were flow-coat primed black first, then the outer face was sprayed argent silver (with some silver overspray visible on the back side).
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 09:44:05 PM »
John,

Did the silver over spray cover the tire bead contact area of just up to the edge of the rim.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

DyRally-Z1986

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 03:18:06 AM »
Thanks John I appreciate the info.

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 03:52:57 PM »
Were some of the service replacement Rally wheels gray like "paint as required"? I thought I've seen some that way.
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 07:55:40 PM »
John,

Did the silver over spray cover the tire bead contact area of just up to the edge of the rim.

Mike

The wheels were mounted on a rack hung from an overhead conveyor, five wheels to a rack, with each wheel on a rotating hub, leaned back at about a 15* angle from vertical; very little silver (if any) got on the tire side of the rim - just on the wheel face.

Service replacement rally wheels came from Kelsey-Hayes to the dealer painted gray, so they wouldn't rust in storage.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG