Author Topic: Quarter Window Vertical Chrome  (Read 7887 times)

gkweber3

• View Profile
Quarter Window Vertical Chrome
« on: December 15, 2013, 02:57:42 PM »
I purchased a set of OER chrome moldings for my quarter windows. I am looking for some expertise on installing them (glass is in the car). I have looked at all the posts on the subject, and still have questions - I know the originals were pressed on with a tar like paper. The Aftermarket come with rubber channels, but by themselves do not hold the molding on firm enough. If I use urethane to glue the molding, do I glue the rubber channels to the glass first and then glue the chrome molding over the rubber channel with another bead of urethane? If I use urethane, can I just eliminate the bubber channels and glue the glass directly to the chrome piece?

68camaroz28

• View Profile
Re: Quarter Window Vertical Chrome
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 11:33:16 PM »
Sorry I cannot directly answer your question but I have read and was told my restorers that the fit for that chrome is terrible. I have mine being re-chromed currently. Just you info supplied stating "by themselves do hot hold the molding on firm enough" would concern me for fit. Hopefully someone who has used and ran across this issue can supply needed insight.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Rufcar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 11:37:51 AM »
I tried several adhesives and operated the window and they would move. Id clean them and start again. I settled on the same adhesive used to install windshields. Filled the gap, pressed on tight let dry 2 days then used a single edge razor to scrap off excess off the glass and there on forever! I actually saved my severly scratched 1/4 glass as it was original and I used a 3" felt pad and a special powder and spent hours removing most scratches. There still slightly noticeable but Its not a show car. Good Luck. Jim

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 12:08:34 PM »
 I've also used the glass polishing kit to remove vertical scratches in the door glass with very good success. Only with certain viewing angles can you see faint smooth lines.
I'd rather keep the original glass for sentimental value that put in repro glass.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 03:37:14 PM »
When my original chrome came off I don't remember any adhesive being on them, only a plastic or rubber insert. When I reinstalled them, I cut strips of a truck inner tube and wrapped them over the glass before tapping the chrome back on. The chrome went on tight and the rubber sort of squeezed out as it was compressed. I ran a razor down the edge to trim the excess. Seems to be working well.
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

-vellu

• Camaro 1969 (08C) Vantaa - Finland - Europe
    • View Profile
    • Camaro Club Finland
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 03:57:07 PM »
When my original chrome came off I don't remember any adhesive being on them, only a plastic or rubber insert. When I reinstalled them, I cut strips of a truck inner tube and wrapped them over the glass before tapping the chrome back on. The chrome went on tight and the rubber sort of squeezed out as it was compressed. I ran a razor down the edge to trim the excess. Seems to be working well.

I did just the same way a few weeks ago.

anything