Author Topic: console gauge lights  (Read 4259 times)

Rufcar

• View Profile
console gauge lights
« on: January 16, 2014, 10:09:54 PM »
I have installed the gauge tach set and everything works as it should. That said I noticed today that the console gauge lights are on when every the car is running, is that correct? I thought the lights would only be on when you pulled out the light switch?
Jim

Everett#2390

• ^Bess
    • View Profile
Re: console gauge lights
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 12:25:30 AM »
No, OE design has the gray wire attached to INST spade on fuse panel, or tied into radio harness.
I would probably leave well enough alone as the gauges light up when the ign sw is in IGN or ACC.
Not a bad thing, my own personal preference as I wire the 'dash' lights with incoming ign power.
A flashlight is a case for dead batteries.

Rufcar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 04:52:33 AM »
Thanks for the input, I thought that's where I had it plugged. Ill ck it out tomorrow as I prefer the bulbs on only when dash is on. With the copper line I ran to my oil press gauge its a lot of work to take apart the console to replace bulbs. Tkx jim

Rufcar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 08:55:02 PM »
Everett. I pulled the grey wire plug moved it and now all is right with the world!~ Tkx Jim

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 07:24:47 PM »
With the copper line I ran to my oil press gauge....
Yikes. We lost one test car when it burned to the ground due to a copper line - could still see the marks on the highway for years later. Melted the wheels off of it.
I personally almost burned up a test car that had a copper oil line.
I'd never use a copper oil or fuel line.....
Kurt S
CRG

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 05:48:03 PM »
With the copper line I ran to my oil press gauge....
Yikes. We lost one test car when it burned to the ground due to a copper line - could still see the marks on the highway for years later. Melted the wheels off of it.
I personally almost burned up a test car that had a copper oil line.
I'd never use a copper oil or fuel line.....

Correct!  Copper tubing work-hardens with vibration, then fatigue-cracks and fails (and it's used in a lot of aftermarket kits); that's why GM used copper-PLATED steel oil pressure lines before they changed to nylon - they look like copper, but they're steel.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

anything