CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2014, 01:42:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
97263 Posts in 11694 Topics by 4578 Members
Latest Member: ronhill
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Mild Modifications
| | |-+  Voltage Regulator - Solid State - Ammeter Needle Vibrating
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Voltage Regulator - Solid State - Ammeter Needle Vibrating  (Read 514 times)
jeff68

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2013, 04:17:01 PM »

I converted my original non-working voltage regulator to solid state using a Wells VR715.  Refer to this thread:
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=561.0;all

The VR seems to work as it should and the battery is charging properly.  However, I have noticed that the ammeter needle seems to vibrate - not a lot, but it's definitely moving back & forth around 1/8".  I checked all the connections, and everything seems to be good.

Any suggestions on what could be the culprit?

68 L30 / M20 Convertible
Ash Gold
Ed Bertrand
CRG Member

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 05:21:02 PM »

Was it doing that before you converted it?

Ed

Ed Bertrand
CRG Member
jeff68

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 06:27:32 PM »

No, it wasn't.  I'm wondering if there is something about the solid sate VR that isn't playing nice with the ammeter.

Right now my plan is to, in the spring:
1)  Try a NOS mechanical VR that I have (date code very close to my original).
2)  Try a solid state VR715 "as-is".

I would really prefer to stay with a solid state unit, so if 2) fixes the vibration then I will put those 'guts' into my existing VR and see what happens.  If the needle still vibrates with 2), then I'll install my NOS unit.  If the needle continues to vibrate, then I guess I will need to triple-check all my connections & grounds.

68 L30 / M20 Convertible
Ash Gold
69pace

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 05:01:55 PM »

The solid state VR should have nothing to do except turn charging on and off on a as needed basis. Since the gauge is wired between the main bus on the Horn Relay and the main junction block I would clean up all those connections and grounds and see if it goes away. If not run your multi-meter across your battery and see if you have any storage issues - bad cell or other issue there.

1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
jeff68

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 06:59:23 PM »

It's a brand new battery - no charging or storage issues at all as tested with a multi-meter.

I'll give all the connections another once-over this winter.

I only noticed the issue after the installation of the solid state VR.  So, I figured that the way the solid state VR turns charging on& off is different than the old mechanical VR, possibly causing the vibrating ammeter needle.

68 L30 / M20 Convertible
Ash Gold
Everett#2390

^Jake

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 08:19:09 PM »

I would try another known good battery, maybe one from a daily driver, before discounting the VR reg.
Ensure the ground strap from the mounting bolt of the mech VR is also in place with the new VR.
Might even try a separate ground strap from the new VR chassis to the alt case for an experiment.

A flashlight is a case for dead batteries.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: