Author Topic: Back up light switch 4 speed help.  (Read 8299 times)

Rufcar

• View Profile
Back up light switch 4 speed help.
« on: December 18, 2013, 08:07:47 PM »
My 69  spent a lot of its life as a drag car, so when I got it I didnt know that and alot of little things were missing like my entire Ebrake cables, and much more. That all said I have no evedence of a back up light except the white lens in the tail lights and wiring to them. The assembly manual only shows automatics or column shift manual. I saw complete kits available of 67 amd 68 but not 69 that I could find. I have no bracket or wires near or around the tranny. The plug in under the dash on the column (as mine was a 3 on the tree when new) is gone so is the bracket on that said column.
What all parts will I need and where will I plug it in at? Tkx Jim

william

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Back up light switch 4 speed help.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 08:27:08 PM »
For '69 the back-up lights were activated by a switch at the base of the steering column inside the car. With the reverse lock-out system, placing the trans in reverse rotated the column, activating the switch.
Learning more and more about less and less...

Rufcar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 10:29:58 PM »
William, Thats how the manual states it too but that was for column shift cars. I thought with 4 speeds there was a switch and bracket near the back of the transmission and when shifted into reverse the reverse shift rod hit the switch button which activated the rear back up light?

1968RSZ28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 11:17:43 PM »
I thought with 4 speeds there was a switch and bracket near the back of the transmission and when shifted into reverse the reverse shift rod hit the switch button which activated the rear back up light?

Jim,

It sounds like you're describing the Hurst backup light switch...

http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=3332.0

Paul

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 11:42:24 PM »
William, Thats how the manual states it too but that was for column shift cars. I thought with 4 speeds there was a switch and bracket near the back of the transmission and when shifted into reverse the reverse shift rod hit the switch button which activated the rear back up light?

Rufcar, it's as William stated, and you know the manual is always correct, and it is this time too.  When your engine is ON/running, and you put the transmission into reverse, the linkage shown in the ebay ad here...  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/69-72-Chevy-BB-4Spd-Muncie-Reverse-Lock-Out-Linkage-Set-/390337793522?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1969%7CModel%3ACamaro&hash=item5ae1f20df2&vxp=mtr

sold by many repro houses, and made of unobtanium if you want an original.. :)  and which connects from the transmission linkage, thru a bellcrank mounted to the frame, up to a lever on the lower part of the steering column, which rotates and changes a switch position in the column as shown in the pix below:
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Rufcar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 02:02:25 AM »
After working on rolls.royce cars where  20 parts works as good as 2! I like the hurst arrangement better. How is that wired in? Tkx for the great pic.

Everett#2390

• ^Bess
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 01:36:21 AM »
On the picture shown, one terminal gets a fused ign or reverse power lead and the other terminal gets the light green wire to the b/up lights.
The bellcrank moves the silver tab on the right of the switch, via the turning tube of the column, and slides the internal switch connection over to complete the path for power.
A flashlight is a case for dead batteries.

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 05:07:20 AM »
Rufcar, is your car now a floor shift?  Or are you returning it to original?  If it is a Floor shift the switch down at the back of the Trans. will probably work much better for you.  As for power to the switch, if you're not concerned about original, you could splice to any wire under the Dash that is "hot" only when switch is on.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 01:03:42 PM »
If you have headers, good luck trying the bell crank and linkage. That is why so many are missing. My headers blocked the bellcrank and the rod from the column. After a day of trying I gave up.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

Rufcar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 09:15:50 PM »
myred, the was originally was a col shift 3 speed and that was long gone. Now a 4 speed console car.
Kelley, yes I do have shorty headers to accomadate my vette side mounted exhaust. Once I replace the trunk harness next week. Ill get that switch and see how I can wire it. I want to check again under the dash and see if theres any remants of the original. I know theres zip on the column. I just had the entire dash out to install console gauges and Tach and didnt notice anything unusual but then again I wasnt looking!

jcabuilder

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2020, 11:37:45 PM »
Seven years since this topic was posted it is still relevant.  Restoring a 69 Z28 with headers and just installed a new under dash harness from AAW. I see there is a Hurst back up light switch on the tranny and no linkage to the steering column.  Now I understand how the switch is wired.  Thanks for helping me figure out how this set up works years after it was first posted.
1969 Z28 X33 Tuxedo Black
2007 BMW Z4 Sapphire Black Metallic
2016 Ford F150 King Ranch Shadow Black

anything