Author Topic: Help please, decoding car  (Read 18736 times)

KERR

• View Profile
Help please, decoding car
« on: December 15, 2013, 03:45:14 AM »
So I picked up a 69 that I mentioned last week. Car is pretty nice but not perfect, 

So far I've found they color is correct, at some point some dyed the interior from white to black, and changed the top from white to black
Along with the racing stripes.

Anyway I understand that vin doesn't tell us a lot,  the trim tag will tells some info but not everything.

I searched on here and it said a build sheet could be under rear seat,  I took that out and didn't find anything but a lot of dust lol

Next I looked under the cowl tag but I can't see any numbers under there.  Everything looks stock just no numbers. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place or something has been replaced at some point

I also read that maybe there is a tank sticker?  I know my vette has a tank sticker but wasn't sure if the camaros did.

Reason I'm curious is this a 30k actual mile car,  it's a x11 with AC, disk brakes on the front v8 350 ( not sure if original)  cowl hood , dual exhaust.   But it has a column shift , 

So any tips on what else to look for or how to figure out what I have.   

My game plan was to do a copo clone but with. 632ci  6 speed manual,   However If this car is something nice I'll just restore it and put it in the garage with my other stuff and look for another rust free car

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help please, decoding car
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 03:20:35 PM »
Which 350?  Check the numbers on the front pad of the engine block (in front of the passenger side cylinder head) and let us know what the numbers and letters are there.  Post some pics of the car if you can.

Some cars had a column shift.  It is a manual or automatic transmission. Which rear axle?  There will be a code there on the front edge of the middle of the passenger side axle tube.
Bryon / 1968 Camaro SS 396 coupe - now old school 468 big block
1967 Camaro RS/SS 396 coupe L35/M40 - 4 generation family project
Looking for 68 Camaro with body # NOR 181016

KERR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 04:32:54 PM »
It's a turbo350.  The shift has been moved to floor.   It's a total pos.  I'd like to toss it in the trash  it's one of those slap shifter things and they did a very bad job at install  you pull up to get out of park. Then press Down for reverse  to get in drive you have to pull it up then back then something click then push it down

As for the column shit everything is there but the gear selector arm? / stick.  ( the thing you move to put it in gear).  The display say P R N D 2 1. 

I'll post up a bunch of photos tomorrow from work.  The body is straight but the paint is shot.  Picture rat rod / parked at the sun

1slow64

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 09:25:44 PM »
pic of cowl tag and info off rear plus vin will help
69 X66 RALLY GREEN BLACK COMFORT WEAVE

KERR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 02:06:12 PM »
Thanks guys,

I told you wrong on the shifter on the column,  its P R N D L,    So im assuming that is power glide?

Vin is
124379N643537

trim tag,
ST69 12437 N "O" or "G" P326079 BDY
TR 727   53 E PNT
O5A       X11

I could not get you in numbers off the trans or rear end.  Only jacks i have at home at 5 ton,  and nothing will go under the car

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 02:40:30 PM »
Thanks guys,

I told you wrong on the shifter on the column,  its P R N D L,    So im assuming that is power glide?

Vin is
124379N643537

trim tag,
ST69 12437 N "O" or "G" P326079 BDY
TR 727   53 E PNT
O5A       X11

I could not get you in numbers off the trans or rear end.  Only jacks i have at home at 5 ton,  and nothing will go under the car

ST 69 12437NOR326079

Ext Paint is Glacier Blue With Parchment vinyl top (if it had stripes they would have been white as well)
Interior is Ivory/Black

First week of May build which falls in line with the vin.

X11 means style trim.

If the engine is out of the car get a pic of the firewall.

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 03:14:35 PM »

Yes, it appears the original transmission was a Powerglide.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 03:26:09 PM »
colors would make it a pretty car
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

KERR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 04:07:42 PM »
Thanks guys..   I couldnt remember on the transmission.   The man i got it from said its a Turbo350.  So if the car was born as a PG then that rules out a true SS for sure.. 

I agree the color is pretty,  but at some point they painted the car with blue spray paint from lows... :( and sprayed the seats as well,  maybe even the top. 

The paint is so bad, i was embarassed to drive it!  And i still ride a suburban thats been threw 2 tornados, a major hair sortm a few blizzards and huricane..  There isnt a stright body pannel left on it.    Its not that paint is "bad" that bothered me,  Its the " lazy work done" to get that paint job.. 

So we started wet sanding it.  My thoughts where crap cant look worse,  So bunch of time, some hurting arms later i have very very smooth faded out, camaro now..   Even thought it look real bad its better than it was..

To all the 100% perfect guys,  Grab a trash can you might need it ;)

what looks like reflections in the stripes are runs..

trunk,  the stripes would just flake off..  if you look close you can see it in the bottom left,  also you can see where they tried to fix it with tape.

about 20 min of work and the stipes are gone.    I didnt get that lucky on the hood

Next day  i repainted stripes back on with spray paint,  The hood burned threw as soon as i started wet sanding.  I didnt want to look like a dumb ars with racing stripes on the hood and non on the trunk. Flat black with sand paper

Motor,

ideling

wet sanding with one of my hellions.

rough looking but a lot better than the smurf blue with runs... 

It hasent been washed so all of that little stuff will come off.

passanger side

This crap will have to go,  no clue why the want that much spring,   The gas is stiffer than my clutch in the corvette..

more shady work

I guess now ill just, plasti dip it clear,  or maybe that KOI orange,  then wait and see what you all can help me figure out..  With out a known owner, or any paper work its pretty much a shot in the dark,  Besided color and V8 thats about all i have to go on.   It does have disk brakes, but i only see one fuel line going into the fuel pump,   I also cant see under the car for the second bracket as the web page shows.

If it turns out to just be just a " regular " camaro instead of a SS,  Im going to continue down the road of changing stuff..   But if its a True SS,  which i doubt it going by the column shift,  Ill sent out for a factory repaint and all new interior.  Then put it away.   

Bottom line is i dont want to go do a Motor, trans, rear end, color swap, on a 30,000 original mile car if its a true SS...

bcmiller

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 05:47:20 PM »

You really don't need a jack to see the rear axle code. You can see it from just crawling under the car in most cases.  See this link.
http://www.camaros.org/drivetrain.shtml#axle

Did you check the engine code?  See this location.
http://www.camaros.org/drivetrain.shtml#PadStamps

More specifically, here. In front of the passenger side cylinder head.
http://www.camaros.org/images/pages/decoding/1967-69_V8engine_stamp_location.jpg

What makes you this is a 30,000 mile car?  Service records?  Other documentation?

And you mentioned "under the cowl tag" a few times.  There are no numbers in that location.

KERR

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 07:17:38 PM »
im just going by the title and paper work from the dmv and the odometer

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 10:54:27 PM »
10 or 12 bolt?
Post the engine code and axle code and that will tell us alot.
Kurt S
CRG

click

• View Profile
    • Our 69 RS
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 11:34:53 PM »
If someone said it already I missed it..but easy way to check for 'possible' SS is behind the driver's side rear wheel, along the frame rail at about 1 o'clock see if there are 2 holes OR a steel plate apox. 3x5" welded onto the frame rail there with 2 holes in it. If its just 2 holes drilled thru the frame, its NOT an SS.  If that plate is there, it 'MIGHT' be an  SS.  The plate indicates dual exhaust from the factory which SS had. BUT any V8 could be ordered with dual exhaust. Its just another part of your puzzle to add to. :)
Click is Jim , central Minn.  Moderator at Team Camaro www.camaros.net

KERR

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 08:30:36 PM »
awesome,

Ill check all that tonight,  i dont think i have to take the kids anywhere..  last night was two hours of basket ball...whoo hooo  ::)

KERR

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 11:09:33 PM »
Ok the rear end says
Gm 70
3894859 nf

I see two holes on the outside of the frame but nothing on the inside

I also only see one fuel line out of the tank. 
As for motor numbers I can't see anything with this brake booster and crap in the way lol

anything