Author Topic: Correct top of door window opening dimension ???  (Read 2273 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Correct top of door window opening dimension ???
« on: December 14, 2013, 08:24:28 PM »
I am hoping someone can verify the dimensions I have marked with red arrows in the attached pictures. I have new AMD door skins on my original shells. My car is getting close to going in the paint booth. We are still doing some final fitting. When the doors where fitted back on the car, I noticed the window opening gap at the top of one door was wider than the other with more curvature on the outside top of the door

I measured the window opening gap in the center of the doors on both sides.........Sure enough, one side was 5/16 inch wider than the other. One side measured 1 3/4 inch and the other side was 2 1/16 inch. A 5/16 inch difference.

The 2 1/16 side looked awfully wide so we pushed a few times on the outside of the door and and finally got the center of the window opening to about the same distance as the other side. In hindsight, maybe we should have worked the outside of the doors to match the curvature of the windows. I don't know.

So anyhow, I am wondering if the dimensions I am showing are what they should be, and if not, what the correct dimensions should be.

Thanks......Dave

jvb6648

• 716-796-5263
    • View Profile
Re: Correct top of door window opening dimension ???
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 10:50:42 PM »
Dave

My original door measures 1 9/16 on either end and 1 13/16 in the center. The door has the curve to it. I would install the windows and the weather strip along the door skin to be certain. Also the top of the glass at the roof since you pushed the inner door, wind noise sucks.

Jim
Jim
68 Z/28

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Re: Correct top of door window opening dimension ???
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 02:09:23 AM »
Jim, thanks for the dimesions. It's a relief to know that my dimensions now pretty much match an original door.....and that I didn't change the wrong door. We pushed the outside face of the door to reduce the curvature and close the gap. We didn't touch where the inside of the window touches the door.

Dave

anything