Author Topic: Top post vs side post batteries.  (Read 12237 times)

jpfanne

• View Profile
Top post vs side post batteries.
« on: December 13, 2013, 06:57:38 AM »
Hello everyone.  My first post here and my first 69 Z-28 a week ago!  This forum has been a great collection of information for a first time owner.  I did some searching on the site and did not seem to find any information on the availability of the top post vs side post batteries on the 69 Z.  Mine has side post cables and a Delco replacement battery.  I don't think this would be the correct cables for the car, but thought I would ask here.

Thanks,
Jeff

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: Top post vs side post batteries.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 01:06:58 PM »
What is the build date?  Post a pic of the trim tag.  Congrats on becoming a 1st gen owner.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 01:43:07 PM »
Hello everyone.  My first post here and my first 69 Z-28 a week ago!  This forum has been a great collection of information for a first time owner.  I did some searching on the site and did not seem to find any information on the availability of the top post vs side post batteries on the 69 Z.  Mine has side post cables and a Delco replacement battery.  I don't think this would be the correct cables for the car, but thought I would ask here.

Thanks,
Jeff

Beginning around June of 1969, Camaros were fitted with side post batteries.  if you have original GM part numbered side post cables be careful with them as they are 'in demand'... :)     check the build date on the trim tag, or provide this list with your VIN and we can answer your question with more certainty.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 04:42:13 PM »

Thanks,
Jeff

You might want to read this....

http://www.camaros.org/underhood.shtml#Batteries
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

jpfanne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 05:55:59 PM »
It's an April 69 build date and sold date of May on the PoP so I'm certain it should have top post.  One more project to add to my list to make this car closer to "original"!  Thanks everyone.

jpfanne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 06:01:48 PM »
Well now hang on.  I just read that link a little closer and since my build date was late April, it might have been one of the first batches to be fitted with the side terminal.  I guess there is no exact day/month when the change occurred?

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 08:30:39 PM »
It could go either way on your car.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 04:57:42 PM »
congrats and welcome to the CRG!
If you can post a picture of the battery and terminals and we could tell you if they are replacements or original to the car. There are a couple of us still looking for an original cable for our cars, if you have the originals that would be great for you. (I have been trying to find an original negative side post for mine for a little while now).

We all love pictures though so please post some pics of the car for us to enjoy. thanks!
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 04:27:37 AM »
Post the VIN and I probably can tell.
Kurt S
CRG

Hans L

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 10:52:38 PM »
My 04B has side posts as well.  (LA build).  Car was sold first week of June.  I've been told it should have top posts...but I have always wondered.   I will inspect the cables to determine if I can decipher any part numbers.    Car still had the original heater hoses and belts when I aquired the car, so I would have been surprised the battery cables were replaced.  Obviously possible, but.

Last VIN # are L529307.
https://www.instagram.com/69camarorsz28/
'69 Camaro RS Z/28 Van Nuys Built
'69 Chevelle SS 396 4 Speed

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2013, 02:53:49 AM »
Hans,
Yours is easy. The broadcast sheet clearly shows Y55 cables. :)
Kurt S
CRG

Hans L

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2013, 03:45:52 AM »
Kurt - I know.  Just find it weird prior owners switched it out.   Happens of course. 
https://www.instagram.com/69camarorsz28/
'69 Camaro RS Z/28 Van Nuys Built
'69 Chevelle SS 396 4 Speed

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 04:12:56 AM »
There could be a time period when the broadcast codes weren't updated on the printout, but the new batteries were in-house.
Or the dealer changed them out due to parts availability.
Curious what you find....
Kurt S
CRG

Morris

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 05:01:51 AM »
I am the original owner of a 69 Z28 with a build date 03B and it has side terminals.
Regards
Morris

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 05:16:53 AM »
Welcome to the sight Morris. Good info can you post a pic of your original cables for us ?

Since you are the original owner,  at one point did you have to switch out the negative side post bolt? thanks

:)
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 01:54:53 PM »
I am the original owner of a 69 Z28 with a build date 03B and it has side terminals.
Regards
Morris
We'd love to hear MORE about your car and you..   Not sure we have any other ORIGINAL purchasers who still own their cars.. Do we?  or is Morris the only one?
Morris..   please tell us more about your car...color options etc..   Did you special order it? or buy it off a lot? etc...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Morris

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 02:18:12 PM »
My cable still has the original bolt.  The cables are loose so I can take some pictures.
The car is being totally restored, body and frame are all painted and assembled.  Now the hard part,  the shop that the body work dismantled it without giving me any pictures.
Now I have to figure out where all these boxes of parts go, fuel lines, brake lines and parts, electrical etc.  Which brings me to this forum mining for detail pictures of un-restored Camaro's to find out where for example the voltage regulator mounts and what screws were used.  I spend more time looking than assembling. but I will know the car well when done.  I cannot be in a hurry as it's taken me 40+ years to get to this point.
Regards
Morris

I see a new post has been added asking questions about the history of the car, this evening I will fill in the details and try to post a early picture of the car.

anything