Author Topic: 1969 deluxe comfort weave interior originality, recommendations wanted  (Read 5230 times)

Bryan302

• View Profile
Looking for suggestions and recommendations from past experience, on which vendor has the most correct and accurate deluxe comfort weave seat covers.  I ordered a sample from Al Knoch.  Although the sample looked good, I had nothing to compare to.  My butt had worn the seat slick enough, well, just say the grain was not comparable.  I wanted Al Knoch first choice, P. U. I., O. E. R. also considered.  Please give suggestions on your "been there, done that" knowledge.  The correct grain of the insert, and overall detail is most important.  I would like input on deluxe door panels also, who's got the best?  I just want this car as accurate and nice as possible. 

Thanks for your input,
Bryan
Bryan S.
1968 RS Z/28, 12E, PNT R2, TR 749
1969 Z/28 X33, 05A, PNT 52 52, TR 719, endura bumper

Frosty69

• View Profile
We used the PUI interior to redo the front and rear seats last year, close up picture of the comfort weave is attached. I found the first owner had covered the seats long ago so I have a fairly good example of the original material. There is a huge difference but my understanding is the original material is not available. I didn't get samples to compare the different brands out there now but the seat covers we got fit well and all things considered we are happy with them.

Bryan302

• View Profile
Thanks Frosty69,  May I ask if the grain, or the tits in the grain were larger or smaller in the original material, than in the P. U. I. material?  What was the main difference in appearance of the insert?

Thanks,
Bryan
Bryan S.

KevinW

• View Profile
Bryan, the original material is an ACTUAL weave, all the repros so far are a pressed material that approximates the original. 

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Bryan, the original material is an ACTUAL weave, all the repros so far are a pressed material that approximates the original. 

I didn't know that Kevin...   One of the reasons I always liked the comfort weave upholstery is the 'breathability' of the material... sounds like the repros have forsaken the 'comfort' in favor of a 'simulated weave'....  :(     (I'm certain that cost was the primary issue, but.....   :(   )
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

clm69z28

• View Profile
I looked long and hard for some original black comfortweave material for my Z28 and I even tried SMS'  "NOS" material. Go over to Camaros.net and search for comfortweave material- the whole story along with photos of the "comfortweave" material is there.  Found 1 yard of real NOS material from another supplier which is just enough to do my seat bottoms and a small patch in the rear seat back cushion.

Bryan302

• View Profile
Thanks clm69z28!  I went to camaros.net and found several interesting discussions, good and bad, which is what I was looking for.  I think I will order samples from Legendary Interiors, they had several good comments on the forum, saying their weave was closer to original and not stamped. We'll See!  Thanks for the help.

Bryan 
Bryan S.

anything