Author Topic: U46 Light Monitoring  (Read 7908 times)

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
U46 Light Monitoring
« on: September 05, 2006, 01:48:48 AM »
I'm looking for more information on the U46 Light Monitoring option.  I know it appeared in Camaros in 1968 (standard on Vette) and was actually pretty advanced since it was fiber optic.  I've seen the option sheets in the AIM and the description of how the system worked in 12-2 of the 68  Service Manual.  Does anybody have any further information or know where I could find it?
Appreciate the help!
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
Re: U46 Light Monitoring
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2006, 04:29:27 AM »
The '68 Assembly Manual (blue and white cover) gives excellent details and part #s, Phil. The '68 ashtray lights were also fiberoptic and drew light from the heater control light socket. Last time I checked, the fiberoptic cable for the ashtray was still available from GM--I have one for my '68. I think Rick's sells repro stuff. Hope this helps.
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 01:51:30 PM »
Thanks.  Ddin't catch the ashtray being included.  Like I said above, I've seen the obvious stuff (Assembly, Service, etc.).  What I'm hoping to find is GM info. on their use of fiber optics.  Guess I need to search the Vette info. from that time.  I do understand it was standard in Vettes by 1968.

I have found that sort of stuff may not have been as cutting edge in the 60s  as I thougt.  Apparently, Alexander Graham Bell held the first US patent.

So, I guess my question is:  "Does anybody have any tech info. on GM's use of fiber optics?"
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 01:35:07 AM by lakeholme »

68L30

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 03:13:41 AM »
There is a nice description of the system in the 68 Finger Tip facts book.I don't really know what info you need.......Each indicator had three jewels. Front fender units used the center clear for the parking lights and the outer green for the headlights.The other jewel was not used..this could also have been red on a dealer installed unit.This red jewel was used on a four headlight system to indicate high beam operation.Buicks used this... only the jewel was blue not red....not correct for a Camaro application though often seen.The front fender bezels also used no  mounting gasket.Again the Buicks did....often seen on Camaros...Not correct.The correct front bezels were cast by Pemco..which is cast into the bottom of the bezel.There is a left and right bezel and unit....The repop bezels are not correct in the mounting stud size..they are thicker.The rear indicator uses three jewels as well....two for the tail lamps and one for the license plate light.All marker lights and the license plate light  housings are different from the std units.They all have a provision for the fibeer optic cable and a grommit with a jewel to send light.The front markers use a amber jewel and the license plate unit is clear...All other sockets use the center hole for the cable. The locations in the AIM are correct dimension wise....I used a original fender for comparison.Let me know if you need any more info......I have this option on my 68 coupe....

FYI.....the ashtray light is a seperate option all to itself & and not part of the U46....although it is Fiber-Optic...

Steve     

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 01:41:21 AM »
Thanks a bunch Steve!
The jewel information was what I was looking for... but I really didn't know the lingo.
Do you happen to know the RPO on the ashtray option?
I've not seen the 68 Finger Tip Facts book.  Obviously, I need to get one.

Appreciate it.

68L30

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 01:56:16 AM »
It's part of the ZJ9 option....Good luck on finding a Finger Tip Facts...It was produced by GM for the 68 year and is reproduced but does not contain the Feature Details section at the rear of the first printing....

Steve