Author Topic: Installing Exhaust System  (Read 4434 times)

1967RS/SS

• View Profile
Installing Exhaust System
« on: November 22, 2013, 07:07:17 PM »
1967 SS/SS 350.  I will be installing D&R Classics 2-1/4" exhaust kit and have some questions and looking for any tips to make the job go smoother.   

First off, are hand tools (and a torque wrench) enough or do I need air tools?  I noticed the in/lbs torque specs in the AIM.

According to the 67 AIM, the tailpipe hanger bolts were threaded into the coupe frame with riv nuts.  Do I need them?  Heartbeat city has some listed but for the LH side only.  My current set up does not have them.  Both hangers were threaded directly into the frame with screws (pictured) but no riv nuts.  I know the exhaust system has been replaced in the past by the previous owner, but I believe the tailpipe hangers and screws are originals.  Here are some pics if anyone can verify if they are originals.

Tailpipe hanger screws:

Tailpipe hangers:
pass side

drivers side:

The original muffler hangers and screws were missing when I removed the exhaust system currently installed.  I am sure this bracket is wrong?  Also looking for the correct location of the muffler hangers, and type of screws if anyone has any.  Here are where mine were mounted

1967 RS/SS L-48
Van Nuys 01C
Joseph

jeff68

• View Profile
Re: Installing Exhaust System
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 05:01:37 PM »
Joe-
I know this might be a little late, but...

When I installed my Gardner system, I only used hand tools, including a torque wrench.  No need for air tools.

If the original tail pipe hangers were attached with screws, that's what I would keep.  No need to install riv-nuts if the screws are holding.

The hangers in front of the muffler install using the 2 holes on each side where the small L-shaped brackets are now.  They are relatively tall hangers, and they drop down & pick up the pipes that go into the muffler.

I don't know your location, but I have a set of 4 new 'correct' reproduction bolts for the front hangers and a set of nice shape repro front hangers left over from my exhaust install - PM me if you're interested.
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 07:46:48 PM »
kEEP IN MIND air tools are to increase speed/efficiency. Nothing wrong with hand tools, especially when working with small/rare fasteners on the toy.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 04:46:11 AM »
My 67 RS/SS does not have riv nuts. It is the same set up as yours. Jeff is right, Gardner is the way to go with exhaust. But do not use air tools.
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251