Author Topic: Delco Script Color on Battery  (Read 33318 times)

enio45

• View Profile
Delco Script Color on Battery
« on: November 30, 2013, 04:41:03 PM »
Has anyone matched the orig color on the DELCO Script and the Caps ? 

I'm going to paint the text and caps on my repo battery to look like the original and
would like to get a color match if anyone has this available?

Thanks a lot Lloyd (Edgemont)  for giving me extra work to do!!
Eddie  Montini

69Z28freak

• View Profile
Re: Delco Script Color on Battery
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 12:56:20 AM »
Has anyone matched the orig color on the DELCO Script and the Caps ? 

I'm going to paint the text and caps on my repo battery to look like the original and
would like to get a color match if anyone has this available?

Thanks a lot Lloyd (Edgemont)  for giving me extra work to do!!

Hey Eddie are you referring to the Yellow colour on the "Y" series batteries? As you know red is for the "R" series batteries.  I think Lloyd knows a guy who knows a guy!
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

enio45

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 01:11:16 AM »
yes, correct - I need the color match for the yellow and the red - 2 cars to do!

ok, ill ask Lloyd - thanks for the reply
Eddie  Montini

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 01:13:34 AM »
yes, correct - I need the color match for the yellow and the red - 2 cars to do!

ok, ill ask Lloyd - thanks for the reply

Are you painting the caps and the script by hand. I plan on doing the same. I am going to go with a R55 and paint the caps and the script as I prefer the yellow to the red and it is more correct.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

enio45

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 01:18:14 AM »
Im thinking of getting a stencil made so that u can overlay it and spray it on with adhesion promotor so it will stick and last. 

I need to check to see if the DELCO lettering is the same on all the batteries that we are doing - If you want to send to me your exact height and length of the wording and a pic, ill check with my other ones and see if I can get the stencils made up.

You can email me at edm@montiniaz.com
Eddie  Montini

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 01:36:38 AM »
Im thinking of getting a stencil made so that u can overlay it and spray it on with adhesion promotor so it will stick and last. 

I need to check to see if the DELCO lettering is the same on all the batteries that we are doing - If you want to send to me your exact height and length of the wording and a pic, ill check with my other ones and see if I can get the stencils made up.

You can email me at edm@montiniaz.com

I don't have the battery yet. If I was to send you any pics I would just take a picture of Llyod's battery. I like the stencil idea.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 08:24:14 PM »
Ed, it was great to talk with you at the show, you do amazing work, however, after hearing what Lloyd had to say....  I just have to see more of the Italians!  ;)

From what I can determine the originals appear to have been "rolled on" as indicated by the marks I have seen in the paint on the NOS ones.
I made a roller using a paint roller and some 1/8" thick foam from the craft store, then mixed some paint and tried a couple of passes on an old raised letter license place then went at it.

If you mask around the script to keep it off the case you will not get paint down in the letters, although if I remember correctly Lloyds does have paint running into one of the letter knockouts.  
The surface is not porous it does not take much paint to fully coat the letters.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 10:36:26 PM »
James,

Not meaning to change the thread, but I can't help notice your fender inner sections don't have full coverage of blue paint (I can see primer along the metal folds).
That looks pretty 'factory' to me and nice. Was it like that originally on the one you restored? Being they were sprayed by hand I can certainly understand how that final finish came about.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Edgemontvillage

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 10:40:17 PM »
Eddie, the battery I currently have in my car (below) is a repro Restoration Battery (R59).  I replaced the red filler caps with original, vintage Y series Delco caps so it has the appearance of a Y55. The give-away of course is that the terminal polarity is conventional with + positive on the left (drivers) side. On the original Y55s the terminal polarity was reversed. The second and third photos are of a vintage NOS Y55 battery that I sold earlier this year. As James noted you can see how the paint was applied on the embossed DELCO Energizer letters, showing runs especially on the large D, C & O.  

My engine compartment with a mock Y55

Original NOS Y55

As your car is a late production, long after late April 1969, it would have been spec'd with a side terminal Y77.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 11:00:27 PM by Edgemontvillage »

enio45

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 11:49:27 PM »
thanks guys, nice work -

I don't think they repo the y77 battery, however  ill get the paint job done on the script and cap on the battery in the car -  nice touch for my car as well as the red rs ss we did this yr as well.

thanks James for the comments and nice to meet you too
Eddie  Montini

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 11:54:47 PM »
I'm confused but been there before  ;D
I did not remember any original Y55 batteries back in the day with the Delco painted yellow and the NOS one I have (yea, it's a later service replacement) needed to have the caps painted yellow which I completed. I checked my archives and found this picture Jerry had posted from the GM archives showing a 68 Z/28 from the factory. It shows no yellow Delco script.
Not saying it's wrong but what are we using as a base that is the way they came from the factory?
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 11:58:54 PM »
I'm confused but been there before  ;D
I did not remember any original Y55 batteries back in the day with the Delco painted yellow and the NOS one I have (yea, it's a later service replacement) needed to have the caps painted yellow which I completed. I checked my archives and found this picture Jerry had posted from the GM archives showing a 68 Z/28 from the factory. It shows no yellow Delco script.
Not saying it's wrong but what are we using as a base that is the way they came from the factory?

Nice pic chick. Yours seems to match Lloyd's battery. He used the Yellow Caps, but left the script black. I suspect that is correct. However like you said, what are we using for reference. I plan to do my battery like Lloyds. However from a personal perspective, I do prefer the look of the yellow Delco script.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

enio45

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 12:02:24 AM »
If that pic is org achieves, look at the heat riser position....there has been much discussion on this from the point of what is the correct position. 
Eddie  Montini

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 12:08:49 AM »
 The info on http://www.restorationbattery.com/gmproducts.html     is wrong for '69?
It mentions the R79S battery for a late '69 and also shows the side posts
http://www.restorationbattery.com/r79s.html

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 12:14:25 AM »
If that pic is org achieves, look at the heat riser position....there has been much discussion on this from the point of what is the correct position.  

Also note unpainted fewer clam for heater hoses.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

anything