Author Topic: Tail light gasket recomendations.  (Read 7973 times)

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
Tail light gasket recomendations.
« on: October 17, 2014, 05:14:54 PM »
I am looking for suggestions for tail light gaskets on my '68. Both the gasket between the tail light bezel and the tail panel.......and also the gasket between the tail light bezel and the galvanized backing cover.

I have some new Soffseal gaskets for the galvanized backing covers that I have had sitting in the package for a few years. When I test fit them, it seems they are not thick enough. When I lay them in place in the galvanized backing cover and then lay the cover on the bezel with the lenses in place, you have metal to metal contact before the gasket touches anything. You would think you would feel the gasket compressing before metal touched metal but you don't.......Or do you have to put sealer on the gasket. Looks like they did at the factory.....See the pictures of my original.....It looks like brown glue to hold the gasket to the cover and then a black sealer on the other side of the gasket where it contacts the bezel and the lenses......

I also have molded rubber gaskets for the bezel to the tail panel  that I got from CHQ over a year ago. I don't know who manufactured them but they look absolutely awful. Ragged edges everywhere and the outside surface very porous. I am used to getting pretty good stuff from CHQ but am very disappointed in these. If I had made them, I would be embarrassed  to let them out the door. See the pictures.....I don't want to use them. I do want molded rubber though as opposed to foam.

So looking for suggestions on who makes quality ones of these gaskets and if sealer should be used between the bezel and the backing plate.

Thanks.....Dave

vtfb68

• View Profile
Re: Tail light gasket recomendations.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 07:49:03 PM »
Dave,
  I faced the same problem when repainting my car, nothing was worth using. I used the original born with gaskets that were still on my tail lights when they were removed, needless to say they fit and looked perfect. IMO there is nothing worse than seening a otherwise nice car with gaskets hanging out of the door handles, mirrors, side markers and tail lights, but it is so common. BTW there was nothing holding the gaskets, they seprate from both the car and the housing without damage. I never split the tail light housings. Hope you still have the originals to use.
    Good luck,
        VT
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

68camaroz28

• View Profile
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 01:19:07 AM »
My originals tail light bezel to body gaskets are shot with no chance of reusing them so I'll have to go with repros.

I am still hoping someone will chime in with recommendations for a good quality molded rubber tail light bezel to body gasket....and a bezel to galvanized backing plate gasket that is thick enough to compress and seal the way it is supposed to.

Thanks....Dave

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 02:50:13 PM »
Find a used set of bezels and carefully remove the bezel to body gasket. My lights with original gaskets have been removed numrous times since '84 and still seal fine. A customer put the repro gaskets you have pictured on his lights and they need to be trimmed. They look awful if this is not done. This was against my suggestion of reusing his good original gaskets.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 01:38:05 AM »
My originals tail light bezel to body gaskets are shot with no chance of reusing them so I'll have to go with repros.

I am still hoping someone will chime in with recommendations for a good quality molded rubber tail light bezel to body gasket....and a bezel to galvanized backing plate gasket that is thick enough to compress and seal the way it is supposed to.

Thanks....Dave
Thought I did Dave on team Camaro but again the molded rubber tail light bezel gaskets are being sold my many and purchased mine from Heartbeat but the first set were horrible but the subsequent set looked pretty close to my originals which I'm using.
My originals I'm re-using:
Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 01:51:21 AM »
Yes, I did get your reply on TC. Thank you........I hadn't got any brand recommendations yet on this forum and thought maybe someone would throw in another choice to add to my list of possibles.

I will also keep my eye out for some originals in good shape.

Thanks.....Dave

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 09:27:57 AM »
Yes, I did get your reply on TC. Thank you........I hadn't got any brand recommendations yet on this forum and thought maybe someone would throw in another choice to add to my list of possibles.

I will also keep my eye out for some originals in good shape.

Thanks.....Dave
On the molded ones I doubt your going to find different suppliers as the rule is normally one mfg. supplier selling to the retail houses (Rick's, Heartbeat, etc.) for sale to us customers. Look for some used bezels as many times the seals are still on. When removing I used a heat gun to soften the gasket material to ease off the gasket. If not, one risks tearing as mine were stuck pretty good to the bezel. Good luck Dave!
Chick
67 L89 Corv Tribute
07 Corv Z06

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 02:13:52 PM »
Yep, not knowing at the time that this would be a problem in the future, pieces of my original gaskets are still stuck to my original bezels.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 02:50:26 PM »
Yep, not knowing at the time that this would be a problem in the future, pieces of my original gaskets are still stuck to my original bezels.

Problems with any repro part should always be anticipated, that's is why all GM parts are reused if possible. Many have been in the same situation as you. Many customers toss GM sheetmetal that needs repair because they think repro tin iis plug and play.

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 03:11:37 PM »
As a first time restorer, I have certainly learned my lessons over the last three years or so about repro parts. If the UPS truck pulls up on Friday, now I don't open the box till Monday so that my weekend isn't ruined by what I find inside.

I have tried from the start, however,  to save every original piece of my car that I could unless it was just too far gone.