Author Topic: 67 Metal dashboard? 2 color reds?  (Read 5948 times)

guyfere

• View Profile
67 Metal dashboard? 2 color reds?
« on: November 16, 2013, 03:57:00 AM »
Does anyone know the about dashboard colors? The 67 we're restoring has 2 tones of red. The upper deck (speaker grill) is darker than the lower area.
 My research shows no mention of 2 colors separated under the vinyl pad.

jeff68

• View Profile
Re: 67 Metal dashboard? 2 color reds?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 01:38:12 PM »
I think what you are seeing is the difference between the 2 different paints used.  For the upper deck area, a paint with a suede additive was used to achieve zero gloss.  The lower area did not have the texture additive and was not zero gloss.
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 07:26:51 PM »
I'm going through the same thing with my red interior chevelle. The upper is the zero gloss suede paint as Jeff mentioned. On my 66 chevelle there were two different interior colors used. The upper is a darker red suede zero degree that matches the dash pad. The lower dash, console, tops of the doors, seats etc were a medium red semi gloss. You can contact Jimmy Chips atTCP global and he will be able to look up the correct Ditzler or Dupont paint codes you would need if you are trying to put your interior back to the correct factory color. He worked at Ditzler back in the 70's when they supplied the paints to GM. He is a very knowledgeable, friendly guy that loves the old car hobby. I have his number and direct extension if you want it.

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 07:40:42 PM »
Also to add. On my chevelle with the top of the dash the darker suede that matches the pad and the rest of the interior a medium red semi gloss, I sent off to Legendary for a seat sample so I can double check to make sure it will match with the medium red semi gloss Ditzler paint number that Jimmy gave me. I'm not positve 67 Camaro would have followed the same two interior color scheme as the Chevelle's but I'm thinking they did. Which would explain the two different colors you are seeing on your dash. Hope this helps.

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 01:49:54 AM »
All you need to do is provide your jobber with the paint codes and have it mixed just as shops do. Unless you have a mixing system and mix in house. Interior hues varied within the car and codes don't lie. Here are links that you can use for reference.  You can also contact your jobber or call the color library for the paint company you use. http://documents.clubexpress.com/documents.ashx?key=Mn9lNR5oNp9Osk1Oybo9zXiUl8H2ZPEfYNR%2fojqMOY6daTf3pOKmoYhGMkL2rkQ%2f

http://www.worldwidecamaroclub.com/pdf/tech/paintcodes.pdf

http://camaroattitude.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?manuf=GM&model=Camaro

guyfere

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 01:06:45 AM »
Thank you, for all your help! Didn't even notice the different shades of red until the entire interior was removed and the body was on the rotisserie. This was a stunning revelation and I know this car is all original. Again, thank you for all of your help! This was puzzling me for months. You have helped me immensely and I truly appreciate you taking the time to help.