Author Topic: does this cowl tag & VIN match?  (Read 6037 times)

ggtsvnv

• View Profile
does this cowl tag & VIN match?
« on: December 01, 2013, 07:06:53 AM »
  I was checking the decoding numbers section of this site and couldn't find an answer, maybe I missed it but I was wondering if the VIN number and cowl tag date  match up?

VIN nor500026

Trim tag date of 08A

Thanks

ZLP955

• View Profile
Re: does this cowl tag & VIN match?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 10:55:51 AM »
The end of month reporting for approximate highest assigned VINs is only listed from September of 1968 for the '69 model year, but one of the core CRG guys will know. But that VIN denotes an extremely early build; do you own the car?
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 02:16:59 PM »
That's a real early car. I haven't seen that build date before, but it is probably real. Got a pic of the tag?
Any drivetrain original?
Kurt S
CRG

Mark

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »
Check that cowl tag build date again, probably not a A after the 8.  I have one vin lower than that, and several between that one an 500100, and none of them are 08A build week tags.  Don't have a single Norwood built 08A car.   Maybe a pilot car?  Would need to see a picture of the tag itself.

Is the number above a body number (its in that format but there is no 500000 series body numbers) or a VIN which would just be N500026?
Mark C.
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

ggtsvnv

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 07:02:28 PM »
That's a real early car. I haven't seen that build date before, but it is probably real. Got a pic of the tag?
Any drivetrain original?

Sorry my bad!   It was late last night when I was typing in the numbers and the trim tag date should be 08D  not 08A

The whole VIN is 12437NOR500026:  I'm got this from the owner of the car over the phone so I have not seen it myself.

I don't own the car and it is VERY rough but the color and deluxe interior peeked my interest. Then I seen the O8D build date which I knew was early and it just kind of caught my attention.  It does have an engine(small block), trans (auto) and 10 bolt rear in it but I have no idea if they are the born with drive train.  It looks as if the rivets for the tag has been changed was the main reason I was asking & even as rough as it is I might try to make a deal and restore it.
  I have a picture of the trim tag as a word document but I'm not sure how to attach it on here.

thanks again!

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 07:33:25 PM »
email it to me (my email address is in my profile to the left) and I'll post it for you.

Ed

ggtsvnv

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 07:41:26 PM »
  Thanks Ed! 

I sent it to your e-mail.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 08:05:05 PM »
Here's the tag. By the way, I'm going to move this tread to the Decoding Numbers section.

Ed

anything