Author Topic: Car show judging  (Read 24410 times)

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
Re: Car show judging
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2006, 06:46:02 PM »
Hey 71 Chevelle... your Cowl induction seal is on upside down...
It took me a while to figure it out as well...
Lay the ring on your lap... up side down.... then set the seal on the ring and roll the seal over to the topside... the L in the seal will go into the lip of the cowl ind ring.

You will have to hold one side with an elbow or knee until you get it worked on enough where the tension across the seal will hold it in place.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

Ron C.

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2006, 08:22:05 PM »
ya know i have been wondering about that LOL but some people have problems with the hood pushing up.I will turn it around Thanks!.And that 327 cars engine compartment looks great,being stock and trying to put it back the way the factory did it is harder than hot rodding an engine with all chrome stuff.hats off to ya for putting it back stock! ;D
67Z/28,67RSZ/28,71SS454CHEVELLE.

sam

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2006, 05:59:49 AM »
This is a pic of my 69Z engine compartment and I didnt even place at the camaro gathering in Vinland NJ,The yenko with a puddle of oil on his intake manifold got first place!

NICE car my man! 8)

Pacecarjeff

• View Profile
    • pacecarjeff.com
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2006, 08:54:18 PM »
If you want to win, paint it red (or some other wild color), make sure it has spoilers, put a big stereo system in it, make sure it is dressed in SS and/or Z/28 clothes, and put the biggest motor you can find in it. That's it. Really quite simple.

No one wants to see a correct 1st gen camaro. Sorry. ("No one" = judges & majority of fan base). Bring your car so that the 2% of the public that recognizes it for what it is. Make some visual aids -- for instance, what a cowl body tag is and why that's important. Why the SS-327 across the aisle is an abomination. Etc. Then, leave before the awards are handed out, 'cause you aint gettin' one.

Aint that the truth...
Local shows always prefer the "pretty one".  ::)

You should know that going in - unless they are judging for originallity.
The hot rods always do better.

67L48

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2006, 08:59:10 PM »
... unless they are judging for originallity.
The hot rods always do better.
Nope, sorry.  Judges don't know what "original" is.  Even if they are trying to give an award to a "stock" car, the candy-apple red 67 RS-SS 396 with a cowl hood, front/rear spoilers, and deluxe interior complete with "factory" AC is going to win.  As long as it has period correct dressing.  So, your correct SS-350 or Z/28 still isn't getting an award.

If you're in a situation where the judges are competent enough to really know the Camaro, then it's probably a pretty big and/or prestigious show.  In that case, there probably will be some actual/documented rare COPOs, supercars, and other monsters ... and your SS-350 or Z/28 still isn't getting an award.

67L48
1967 Camaro SS 350
PG, factory air, console, fold down rear seat, PS, PB, butternut yellow, #s matching, original manual/warranty/POP, <60K miles
Northeast Iowa

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2006, 09:55:56 PM »
Whoa... wait a minute...  Some judges do... and it depends on the judging standards.  There are some groups that judge the car more against itself than the other cars.  There are some categories where the COPO is not in the same group as the SS-350.

Like I said before:
At a local show (or any show), you need to know what the judging standards are.  Which organization sets the standards?  Some give feedback, some don't!  What are the categories of judging?  Who decides which category? The worst thing in the world is to put your car in a show where the standards don't match what you have tried to do with the car. 
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

erb2820

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2007, 07:58:08 PM »
DOES ANYONE KNOW ABOUT THE BRIGHTER MODERN HEADLIGHTS FOR 67 CAMARO'S? WHAT THEY ARE, AND WHERE YOU CAN GET THEM?

Pacecarjeff

• View Profile
    • pacecarjeff.com
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2007, 08:16:29 PM »
Yes, they are called Halogens - you can get them at Pep Boys. ;)

Flowjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2007, 03:57:46 AM »
Yes, they are called Halogens - you can get them at Pep Boys. ;)
Now that was funny

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2007, 09:40:04 PM »
I learned many years ago that when attending local shows, it's best just to go and have a good time and make new friends.  Doing that will also help you learn what they are looking for.  But again, it's not worth worring about.  Just enjoy the show.

If you attend a national event like the Camaro Nationals, there are many more classes to choose from, and that helps you get your car in the right class.

Jerry

camaronut

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2007, 05:33:21 PM »
Local car shows are just that.....a local car show....

I agree...go to the show and have some fun and meet new people........personally I get a laugh at the awards...to see who get pissed.....

Long ago, I got screwed at one of the local shows here in Maryland...got mad.....and finally laughed at the whole scenario....

The only true judging gauge of your car should be done by folks who know Camaros...like at the Nationals in Carlisle.

Besides that....everything else is BS....

Dave69x33

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2007, 01:15:35 AM »
This is all interesting and a pertinent topic for me.  I spent four years restoring my ’69 RS Z28 back to as original as possible.  We all love and know our 1st Gen Camaros very well.  I often was disappointed if I did not score awards at some local shows but I now just have fun being at the show!  I have come to realize that a so so day at show in the nice, warm and sunny weather is still better that a good day at work!!! 

I don't know why I bother taking my collapsible lawn chair to shows because I hardly use it!  It’s too much fun checking out all the other cars and "talking cars" with the owners. I really get a kick talking with owners, who either still have the car they dated in, or had in high school, or found another car just like the one they had many, many years ago.  These people have great stories and share a common bond for our hobby!  I also love to see and photo document the survivor cars that I find at shows, dirty or otherwise, and THEY never win at the local shows.

It’s true that certain colors and custom mods catch the judges’ eyes at local shows.  These cars often catch mine eye also.  As many of you have pointed out, many/most judges at local shows don't know our "hard-core" restored cars as well as we do, or what it takes to get our cars to be near perfect 1000 point cars.  The show for those of us seeking this kind of judging, where the judging score sheets really count, are the Camaro National events with judges who do know our cars, and what it takes to restore a 1st Gen correctly.  Not all national shows are perfect; judges do make mistakes and politics do play a part in decisions; however, these are the shows where everything from our ZL1's to base model L6 Camaros all stand out, and are judged on their own merit instead of against each other.

I scored a Gold Award (973 out of 1000 points) back in 2000 at the Camaro Nat's in Columbus, Ohio.  I have made many improvements and corrections since then and hope to get my car judged again the next time when a Camaro National show is back in the Mid-West.  Show plaques and trophies do boost my pride but it’s my Gold Award that I most proud of.  Personally, I would rather have my one Gold Award than a dozen local show awards.  With a several year old restoration, I now compete against many other very nice 69’s that are either fresh restorations or never driven.  I DRIVE mine to local shows so my fun factor is just that much higher.

Keep the faith and try to enjoy those sunny days with all the other “car crazy” people (borrowing Mr. Barry Meguiar’s words, of the Meguiar’s Automotive Wax products fame) at our local shows and events.   

Let see, ….. It’s February and only about 2 – 3 more months in Indiana before the car show season starts again…..and I can hardly wait to fire up that solid lifter 302!!!

Jerry@CHP

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2007, 02:55:01 AM »
One thing I will comment on is the feedback that we've received at the Camaro Natiionals in Carlisle, PA.  Over the past few years, there has been very little, if any at all negative feedback about this event.  There is a class for everyone and if you have any questions, there is always someone there to answer.  Many people have told me that they feel very much at home during these events.  Just nice to know that you can put together a great Camaro show and keep most of the people attending happy.  Not an easy task in today's world.  There were always problems and complaints years ago at the USCC events.  I'm glad we are through those times. 

Jerry

Pacecarjeff

• View Profile
    • pacecarjeff.com
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2007, 04:19:24 PM »
Here are some of the pictures from a local show here this weekend.
Jay Leno supported the event at the Boca Raton Resort and CC

We didn't win anything - did not expect to.
Pretty fancy event - they gave us lots of goodies. :D

Very fun

click here--->Boca Car Show

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2007, 07:25:48 PM »
I still say you need to know what the standards are before you enter... or yes, just go and have fun!

Jeff,

Like your Vette!  They didn't want your pace car???

Jerry,

Amen.  Making people feel "at home" is very important!  It's equally important that no one come away feeling "beat up" from the judging.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 07:34:19 PM by lakeholme »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

anything