Author Topic: Car show judging  (Read 24408 times)

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
Car show judging
« on: September 10, 2006, 05:44:20 PM »
I put my car in a local show this weekend.  I got beat by a 67 SS that had these modifications that I saw.

1. Front and rear spoilers
2. ZL-2 hood
3. 15  inch wheels
4. 327 emblems on the fenders
5. Extensive chromed out engine, and engine compartment.
6. Manual 4 wheel drum brakes

One of the judges was a  female high school student that was asked what she was looking for and she stated she didn't know. 
My question is should I have been upset, and would you consider the 67 modified?

Fireman John

Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
Re: Car show judging
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 06:00:15 PM »
Yes Modified... but the brakes could have come like that from the factory
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 07:15:12 PM »
Not worth getting upset at a local show...
Modified --yes; or even worst, imporperly restored.
At a local show (or any show), you need to know what the judging standards are.  Which organization sets the standards?  Some give feedback, some don't!  What are the categories of judging?  Who decides which category? The worst thing in the world is to put your car in a show where the standards don't match what you have tried to do with the car.  Sounds like that's what happened to you.
Although in this case, it was probably folks who like "old cars" and they "liked" the other car more than yours.  By most anyone's standards that's not judging...  It's just a good afternoon... And that's not worth being upset...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 07:17:40 PM by lakeholme »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 07:34:50 PM »
Judging at local shows, in my opinion, is almost always a joke - geared to what someone thinks looks good as opposed to what is correct.  A very correct base car will rarely judge well against a highly (but incorrectly) restored SS, BB or Z28.  The over and incorrectly restored "muscle" overwhelms any sense of correctly judging the cars for what they are.

That being said, I've also been to some shows where the judging was supposed to be "knowledgeable" but at the end of the day, the same still seems to hold true - a non SS, BB, Z28 will loose every time, regardless of how correct or original the car is.

. . . . and I couldn't agree more with Phillip - not worth getting upset over.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 07:39:26 PM by rich69rs »
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

TStone

• 1968 Droptop #'s Matching - 327
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 04:40:52 PM »
definitely not worth getting upset over - most of our local shows are a joke when it comes to stds (there aren't any) you pick your own catagory and the other participants judge you. The only one that i'd been to that had a regional board put out this - * Original Restored Classes may have a maximum of three modifications: 1. Wheels & Tires. 2. Non-OEM paint or color (no custom metal-flake paint, stripes or flames). 3. Cosmetic Engine Dress-Up: All Judged Cars must have OEM body parts or exact reproduction Aftermarket Parts for their Year. Aftermarket Sound systems must be located in original factory location. ** Modified Classes will have more than the three modifications allowed in the Original/Restored Classes. I just go for the fun of it - usually the FOE or VFW shows cause the bar's open at 11am :)
Classics only cost alot if you keep track of what you spend. :)

5th Annual Michigan FBody Association Meet & Greet 2009
-= Meet & Greet Official Forum =-
- [url="http://www.mifbody.com/vbullet

Mark's 68 L78 RS SS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 01:34:49 AM »
Was she at least cute  ::)
Mark
Skaneateles, NY
68 L78 RS SS M22

Chris_Pisane

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 01:53:17 AM »
Been through this.

If you are a member here you are probably know your camaro back and forth.You know whats right on it and what isnt. Its probably very correct since you are here.Only most people dont have a clue.

I have read every piece of info I can about 69  Z/28s, and I know that most Zs didnt have the ducted hood factory.Most people believe all Zs had the hood, the spoilers,trim etc.We all know they didnt.Do the Zs look bettter with all the goodies? You know they do.A dressed up fake Z will out score a true stripper X77 Z if they were restored the same way at a local show.

Ata local show," pretty, pretty" beats a correctly restored one.Heck about 9 years ago the President of a car club saw the 302 emblem on my hood and asked if I had a ford engine in the car.HE WAS SERIOUS.He didnt know any better.

I entered in factory muscle class and came in last,Im not bragging but my car was far superior.When I asked what the deal was they said " small blocks cannot be muscle cars, and the only true muscle cars are the big block Chryslers". I got pissed and Never went back to that show.I got over it and  I had many good years telling people what an Idiot the guy is.

Just remember,any idiot can start a car club and have a show.Any organization can have show and have idiot judges.Some people really believe that a good car is one that was built out of a JC whitney calalog.When I used to show, I found out quickly which clubs and organizations know there stuff and who to avoid.

If you dont want to get pissed, never enter a contestant judged one,thats a really bad deal,trust me.

I can tell you this though,I really only know Camaros and chevy stuff.A bogus ford or chrysler or any thing else could fool me.

Basically,dont get upset, just avoid the bad shows and enjoy the good ones.In a couple of years you will get burned out on shows,you will have a room full of trophys you  really dont care about. And when someone talks you into going to a show you will want to leave in an hour because you are so bored, but you still have 4 more to go.

My experience and my opinion,Chris
Chris Pisane....Fathom green 69 z/28 ,Lemans blue 69 JL8 Z/28 http://cpisane.photosite.com/

67L48

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 07:35:08 PM »
If you want to win, paint it red (or some other wild color), make sure it has spoilers, put a big stereo system in it, make sure it is dressed in SS and/or Z/28 clothes, and put the biggest motor you can find in it.  That's it.  Really quite simple.

No one wants to see a correct 1st gen camaro.  Sorry. ("No one" = judges & majority of fan base).  Bring your car so that the 2% of the public that recognizes it for what it is.  Make some visual aids -- for instance, what a cowl body tag is and why that's important.  Why the SS-327 across the aisle is an abomination.  Etc.  Then, leave before the awards are handed out, 'cause you aint gettin' one.

Here's the order of preference:

1)  Rodded out, tubbed, and chopped.  Camaro body with less than 1% original parts.  Most combos impossible.  No effort to restore anything (e.g., leather front seats, 20" aluminum wheels).  Basically the Foose approach to car building.

2)  Sort of the poor-man's version of #1.  Less flashy upgrades, but probably still features some sort of modern interior -- instrument panels, seats from 1980+ car, etc.  Probably tubbed to fit very wide tires and might be on slicks.  Probably a 454 or 502 motor with lots of chrome detailing.  Paint is red or some wild scheme.  May have remnants of Camaros -- Z/28 stripes or SS nose stripe.  Some sort of cowl hood, of course.

3)  "Clone."  Note that this is in quotes.  To be a real clone, the car had to exist -- the thing sitting in front of you must represent something that at one time existed.  In fact, most "clones" are not, in fact, clones of anything.  If anything, these are concept cars or idealisms of what the creator wished had existed in 1967-9.  So, we're talking about some random motor again -- 383 is a popular choice.  Probably dressed up and maybe with multiple carbs.  Paint is probably a normal color (primaries), but not representative anything factory.  Interior is probably half-and-half.  Maybe some factory seats with an Autometer gauge panel, for example.  It's hodgepodge -- some stuff from deluxe interior + some stuff from standard interior + some stuff totally custom.  Wheels and tires could be anything from 14" ralley to 22" aluminum, but won't be representative of factory.  The best you can hope for is "period correct" with the ralley or maybe some Cragars.

4)  Clone.  This is pretty close to accurate.  Nice cars.  People who took a 6 and built it into a SS-396 with the right accompanyments.  These cars are cool because, even when being true to what was available at the time, you can build a monster.  1967 SS-396 convertible, deluxe interior, disc brakes + 15" rally wheels, RS package, deluxe exterior, deluxe seatbelts, etc.

5)  Original.  With few exceptions, the original just isn't as nice as the "original on steroids."  No tri-power carbs. No shiny Edelbrock components.  No paint jobs that pop.  Impressive cars, for sure, but not the car you'll remember later that evening when you're having dinner ... or when filling out a judging card.

Now (1) is usually a work of art.  I don't like those styles of cars, but I can at least appreciate the art that went into building it.  The cars in the (2) category are iffy for me.  I don't like strip cars and these usually just look like wanna-be type cars.  Usually it's just a huge blown motor + fancy paint.  However, I'm definitely in the minority, because lots and lots of people prefer this look. 

(3) is the real abomination.  It violates every standard of decency because of the presentation.  At least categories (1) and (2) are honest about what they are: some modern supercar built on the 1st gen platform.  But this one is the one that makes us all want to scream.  These are much cheaper to build, especially for the backyard mechanic who's good at building motors or painting autos.  However, this makes the cars more "accessable."  Few of us can drop $100K or more into a supercamaro or blown street racer.  However, many (read: judges) can more easily see a base car with a crate motor, fresh paint, some interior upgrades, and "correct" stylings such as the z/28 badges on the 1967 car.

There will always be a bunch of (3) at the show and in varying levels of execution.  Outside of the masterpieces, these are the ones taking home the awards.  Count on it.

(2)s can also be annoying. The same way that pretty models get to stay fit because instead of going to work every day, they spend 4 hours in the gym working out.  They get to be more beautiful than the rest because they don't follow the same rules.  And, hey, don't like your nose?  Then get some surgery and make it prettier.  Don't like your headlights? Then, get some auto-surgery and become an RS.  Still, at least these people are following the basic laws.

That leaves (1).  This is the only category that has limited potential.  Doesn't matter how good you're car would look with a candy-apple red paint job, once you cross that line, you've vaulted into category (3).  Unless you have some freak of a car (COPO, Yenko, RS/SS 396 convert, etc.), you're car is just going to pale in comparison to any number of like cars from the above categories.

Good luck.

67L48
1967 Camaro SS 350
PG, factory air, console, fold down rear seat, PS, PB, butternut yellow, #s matching, original manual/warranty/POP, <60K miles
Northeast Iowa

Greg69gg327

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2006, 04:01:41 PM »
John,
  It was good to be parked next to your real Z-28 at the last two car shows.   I agree with the common thread above.  We go to our local shows and pay our $25 and up for registration in hopes of taking home a $10.00 trophy...only to be outjudged to a clone...kind of ironic huh.  You have the nicest real 69 Z I have seen.  I am going to keep my regular breed 327 2bbl Camaro original and it will stay that way.  I'll just keep going to go to the shows to meet other owners and revel in the Camaro camaraderie.   On a side note, it's interesting to search the web auctions and other sites for 69s for sale to see so few original regular breeds as apparently most are being turned in to Z-28 and COPO clones...therefore mine must be getting rarer by the day.

cheers,  Greg

cheers,  Greg

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2006, 04:50:11 PM »
Car shows..... I have a real 69 Z/28, and every car show I've been to seems always have an "original" 69 COPO 427 or a pace car.
They'll win every time over a measly 69 Z.  Having been around in 69, I know how unusual Z's were to see. You'd seem them from time to time, but they were rare enough that you usually would remember them. I don't know if I ever saw a 67 Z back then; With a total production of 600 something, it isn't likely. I do remember seeing one 69 Firebird Trans Am when it was new back in 69 (production 600 something); it was white/blue with spoilers and fender flares, etc. I have never seen another one since, even at car shows. Yet it seems every car show these days has COPO's, Yenko's, ZL-1's etc. How'd that happen?

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

Ron C.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2006, 07:01:51 PM »
This is a pic of my 71 SS 454 chevelle engine compartment,I was beat at a local car show by a car with rusty chrome valve covers and regular hose clamps and a big msd ignition coil screwed to the firewall. So dont feel bad,sometimes its not worth bringing your car out to a half assed judged car show.
67Z/28,67RSZ/28,71SS454CHEVELLE.

Ron C.

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2006, 10:48:54 PM »
This is a pic of my 69Z engine compartment and I didnt even place at the camaro gathering in Vinland NJ,The yenko with a puddle of oil on his intake manifold got first place!
67Z/28,67RSZ/28,71SS454CHEVELLE.

jdv69z

• 69 RS Z/28 52E
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2006, 08:12:46 PM »
69RSZ,

Nice looking engine. It's a winner in my book.

Jimmy V.
Jimmy V.

Gramps69Z

• 69 X33 D80
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 03:59:54 PM »
Greg, thank you for your kindness.  I think it's ironic that we got beat again by the improperly restored 67 SS.
I guess it helps if you bring your wannabe "restored" classic car to a show, and help judge.
I think the next show, there's gonna be a protest.

Fireman John ;D
Captain John Wykoff
Destin Fire:   October 31, 2015 at 0700--Officially Retired

rich69rs

• LF7/M35/Z22/Z87
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2006, 10:37:12 PM »
....and you guys have the muscle - imagine my dilema - nickely restored base 327 - my poor ride hasn't got a chance
Richard Thomas
1969 RS

anything