Author Topic: 69 upper ball joint rivets  (Read 17177 times)

Camarocards

• View Profile
Re: 69 upper ball joint rivets
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 04:09:20 AM »
Chick,

Still no activity on e-bay. I've sent him an e-mail approximately two weeks ago. No reply. I'm not sure if he is still offering this service.

Bob
Bob
'68 SS L35 01D

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 12:53:09 AM »
Cheater kit from a Corvette supplier.
https://www.paragoncorvette.com/p-361675-lower-ball-joint-rivet-kit.aspx
I used this w/ my PST kit. a big compromise.

I like the set up pictured above better.

Jim

I ordered a kit from Heart Beat City like the one you mentioned. I had originally ordered the rivet kit from HBC, but when the guy at the shop went to install them, there was a problem and he installed bolts instead. I was on a time crunch so now my ball joints are bolted in. I am planning to swap mine out with the new kit. Just curious how you tighten them and if the top heads spins or grips enough to get really tight.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 04:53:46 AM »
They tightened up just fine. There was a fair amount of friction between; the mating surface of the domed head, the shank thru the ball joint and the a arm seemed to hold the bolt and provide enough resistance to allow sufficient torque. Additionally you can use the strike method (Slugging wrench) to make darn sure they are tight.

These bolts were a fair compromise. I wonder how many tons it takes to clinch the real deal rivet?

Jim
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

69Z28freak

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 05:10:43 AM »
They tightened up just fine. There was a fair amount of friction between; the mating surface of the domed head, the shank thru the ball joint and the a arm seemed to hold the bolt and provide enough resistance to allow sufficient torque. Additionally you can use the strike method (Slugging wrench) to make darn sure they are tight.

These bolts were a fair compromise. I wonder how many tons it takes to clinch the real deal rivet?

Jim

Thanks Jim that is great info. Just what I was looking for.
Mike 1969 Grandma Camaro

anything