Author Topic: 1st gen wireing harness  (Read 3538 times)

Baconcks

• View Profile
1st gen wireing harness
« on: December 14, 2015, 04:28:11 AM »
So I just reinstalled my sub frame in my RS SS BIG BLK and I'm looking forward to putting the car back together from a rotisserie restoration. I'm restoring this car for value and want to try to keep everything original as possible . The car had huge rust issues and leaked so bad the previous owner quite driving it during the winter. Do you experts thing reinstalling a 47 year old harness is worth the hassle or will a new harness devalue the car. Thanks for you help

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: 1st gen wireing harness
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 05:29:47 AM »
 You have to evaluate the interior and external harnesses separately. The interior should be fine providing no previous fire from a short or no butchery (radio swaps, old CB radio, etc). All that may need to refresh is a rewrap with the correct tape unless the original can be cleaned up. Try to preserve any tags if they exist.
  The engine harness is exposed to a lot of heat and may get some brittle wires especially on the harness section that runs to the starter motor. If that is too brittle then you can get a repo for that one section. The ignition wire also needs to be checked closely.
I still have my original harnesses on my 67 but I did change a few burnt wires from a donor harness so if you can find a donor you can just replace what needs replacing.
  The trunk harness is usually in good shape providing no external damage. I would try to keep as much of the original harness as possible providing it can be safely done.

How does the fuse box look as far as corrosion?

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

L78 steve

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 05:06:09 PM »
You can also send your original harness pieces to AAW and they will repair and re-wrap as needed.
69 Z/28 Dover White. SOLD
67 SS/RS Mt. Green 1W,2LGSR,3SL,4K,5BY,07C. SOLD
70 Nova L78 Blk. Cherry,Sandalwood,M21,02B

Baconcks

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 04:11:46 AM »
The fuse block is not that bad, the rust ate the upper cowl but the original owner covered the car during the winter. Also the 396 has the smog still on it will it devalue the car if I remove it and save it. I'm going to take your advice and fix the harness if I have to I can splice in wires I can do that.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 03:20:10 AM »
The fuse block is not that bad, the rust ate the upper cowl but the original owner covered the car during the winter. Also the 396 has the smog still on it will it devalue the car if I remove it and save it. I'm going to take your advice and fix the harness if I have to I can splice in wires I can do that.
I'd give that some more thought as it might be a wise decision to replace and then change out a few connectors from the originals harness to the new one.
So I just reinstalled my sub frame in my RS SS BIG BLK and I'm looking forward to putting the car back together from a rotisserie restoration. I'm restoring this car for value and want to try to keep everything original as possible . The car had huge rust issues and leaked so bad the previous owner quite driving it during the winter. Do you experts thing reinstalling a 47 year old harness is worth the hassle or will a new harness devalue the car. Thanks for you help
A new harness from AAW along with changing some connectors from the orig harness to the AAW harness prior to installation would not de-value the car and depending on the harness condition it might be the prudent thing to do.
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

Baconcks

• View Profile