Author Topic: Re-coding an original door lock  (Read 5910 times)

Adz28

• View Profile
Re-coding an original door lock
« on: November 04, 2013, 05:29:58 PM »
My ignition switch (repro) key is different than my door locks. I would like to keep my original door locks, so I was wondering if it is possible for a locksmith to recode them using just the ignition key.

Everett#2390

• ^Bess
    • View Profile
Re: Re-coding an original door lock
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 05:11:08 AM »
No, if you look at the ends of the ign key and door key, one is a mirror image of the other key.
Ign key does ign switch and glovebox, door key does doors and trunk lock.
A flashlight is a case for dead batteries.

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 05:41:41 PM »
No, if you look at the ends of the ign key and door key, one is a mirror image of the other key.
Ign key does ign switch and glovebox, door key does doors and trunk lock.

I think you'll find that on a '69, the square-head key works the ignition and doors, and the oval-head key works the glove box lock and the trunk.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

DAVEN1256

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 01:54:02 PM »
On my '68, the same key is used for the doors and the ignition and the other key fits the trunk and glove box.

You've got nothing to lose by calling a couple of locksmiths. I am not 100% sure but I think they can be recoded.

Dave

Oaklyss

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 09:08:52 PM »
Yes, they can be re-coded if the ignition key fits into the door lock. About $25each.
69 RSSS ZL-2 4 speed, mint unrestored 04A LA built-SOLD
1968 GTCS mint unrestored original paint
1972 AMX 401 4 speed, cowl induction, twin-grip, A/C, unrestored, original paint
1963 Oldsmobile Jetfire factory Turbo and Methanol injection, 4 speed, posi, 1 of 4 known to exist

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 09:50:28 PM »
Read THIS explanation of how one guy did it.  It has to do with the grooves in the different keys....
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 01:34:32 AM »
The short answer for a 69 and later is yes*

*locksmith has to actually be a locksmith with training and then they can match the pins in the ignition tumbler to the same as the doors.
Even easier if you have the original keys with the key code not knocked out.
Or documentation with the key codes, but they can work from the key you have if it is not too worn.
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 06:04:25 AM »
67 also the Ignition and Doors should be the same.  And the Trunk and Glove Box.  My car has all the original Locks, and 1 set of original keys.  There is a 4 digit code  #L##,  #=number L=letter.   A good locksmith can cut you a set of keys from just the code.  As has been stated, it has to do with the grooves, if the Ignition key will go into the Door locks (or vice versa) then yes they can be recoded to match.  Also all of the locks and original keys have this 4 digit code stamped on them.  I would recode the Ignition to match the Doors, that way you are only recoding 1 lock.  If you recode the doors to match the Ignition, then you have to do 2.  Just my 2c's.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 07:31:13 AM »
Back in the 70's I took the cylinders from locks on my corvair to a local lock smith, and had him redo them. When I reinstalled them that afternoon, I had what I wanted. One key worked every lock and switch on the car. Kind of like they build them today. Wasn't real expensive, but some people thought it was stupid. I just wanted it simple.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

anything