Author Topic: Pilkington Glass  (Read 7605 times)

JJs 67 Camaro

• View Profile
Pilkington Glass
« on: November 10, 2013, 04:28:36 PM »
Hello everyone- I went to a glass company that is highly reccomended on many of the forums. As of right now, I am being told by them that the temper stripping is normal ( see photo). When I tilt the glass up it lessens but is still visible. It is good in direct sunlight.

Here is my problem/ question. Is this as good as it gets?  I would expect some of this on back glass but not side. Is Pilkington glass better?  Has anyone purchased Pilkington glass lately? Does it look the same. If so, can you share the DOT number off the side glass. This glass is made in Thailand.

I really appreciate the help. I don't want to purchase the Pilkington glass and it be the same.

Thanks,

Jerry
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 05:21:42 PM by JJs 67 Camaro »

JJs 67 Camaro

• View Profile
Re: Pilkington Glass
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 05:05:58 PM »
Hello everyone- I know the topic of glass has been discussed quite a few times but I would really appreciate your opinion.  Are the spotting/temper marks normal? 

Thanks,

Jerry

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 12:20:04 PM »
Jerry I really can't see any flaws in the glass from these pictures. Do you have a better example of what you are trying to point out? George

JJs 67 Camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 03:01:49 PM »
Hi George- thanks for the reply.  It is hard to see in the small photos.  However, in person it is evident.  It resembles "tiger stripes" or a bad tint job, but only in shade or cloudy days.  It is on all the tempered glass but more evident on the side glass.  If you send me a message, I can e-mail you a much clearer picture. 

Thank you,

Jerry

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 03:50:08 PM »
 This is an interesting thread because I have seen that too and often wondered. So, I did a web search and found this interesting thread on the topic and what is is called and reading through it, it does mention the differences between the side glass vs. the windshield. http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/yr3gc/why_do_i_see_rippling_patterns_on_car_windows/

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 08:17:09 PM »
If all else fails, check with "Car Talk"!  Look HERE.

As you suggest in your post, when you tilt it up (as it would be when in place on the car) or in direct sunlight, it is better.  As it says in the article that Mike posted and the one from "Car Talk", that's because of the polarization of light waves.
I've got a fantastic pair of prescription sunglasses, which I carry around in my Camaro because of glare.  They are a yellowish-orange shade, that really reduces glare and actually makes everything look brighter on shady days.  But, when I look back out the side windows at a certain angle, the "diamonds" in the glass are more pronounced.

Sorry, I've still got original side windows, so I do not know much about replacement glass brands...
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 10:39:11 PM »
Jerry sent me a bigger picture I cropped that might show the lines he is referring to. I don't see those in my new windshield recently purchased from Auto City Classic. I talked to them and they stated it is due to the cooling process of tempered glass, only used on the side & back windows. He also stated if you don't see those it is not very good tempered glass. Here is a link to the explanation of the quench marks www.pilkington.com/resources/ats157quenchmarksinheattreatedglass20130114.pdf George

rsr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 02:19:13 AM »
 I see what spots/shading you are talking about and have seen it on lots of tinted repo glass.?.I've got Mexican made Pilkington glass that's so far off from fitting the correct shape/curve the spots are minor! I'd take the glass that fits any day!Do you mind telling who made the glass?

JJs 67 Camaro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 01:44:55 PM »
Not a problem. The DOT number is 516. The company is KPM out of Thailand. I don't suspect any issues with fit. The curvature and shape seem to match up pretty good. 

anything