Author Topic: ring and pinion mesh  (Read 4491 times)

sam81663

• View Profile
ring and pinion mesh
« on: November 11, 2013, 06:36:00 AM »
1969 Camaro 12 bolt, 4.10 Richmond gears
I have been back and forth on pinion shims and can't seem to get both the drive side and the coast side patterns perfect.
Drive side can be good and coast side will be off or the other way around. I need opinions.
First pictures, .037 on pinion and .010 BL
Ron                                                                                   Restoring 69 coupe-? Kurt S. knows more about my car than i do!        Once owned 68 ss 350 powerglide on column - 69 396 ss rs 4 speed - 69 307 auto on console

sam81663

• View Profile
Re: ring and pinion mesh
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 06:39:14 AM »
second two pictures are with .035 on pinion and .010 backlash
when I go to .033, the coast starts to pull away from center towards the top of the tooth
thanks everyone
Ron                                                                                   Restoring 69 coupe-? Kurt S. knows more about my car than i do!        Once owned 68 ss 350 powerglide on column - 69 396 ss rs 4 speed - 69 307 auto on console

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 01:03:59 PM »
Richmond gears are the worst to setup from my experiences..  Ive always had better luck out of GM and Yukon gears..  Is this a stock housing or aftermarket?  Do you have the ability to get 0.36 on the pinion and drop your BL down to 0.006"?  IDK what you plan on doing with the car but Im not a big fan of the larger BL..  Main reason is that if you are replacing all the bearings over a few hundred miles things will settle and the BL will move slightly..  may not be but a thou or 2 but if you are on the high side and add the couple thou and compound it with a 4-speed then that could spell failure..  If auto it will be ok but still I do not like running them that loose.  Just my $0.02

sam81663

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 07:22:00 PM »
Hi Darrell,
Stock housing, yes. I don't have that many shims. Either 37 or 35.  It is all I can come up with.
Richmond gears says minimum back lash is printed right on the gear and mine reads .010.
Is this gospel or can this be played with?  yes four speed car
appreciate the help.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 08:26:55 PM »
I have stuck with the GM spec of 0.005 - 0.009" for every rearend I have had my hands in...   :o

In all seriousness though I would play with the BL to see if you can get it closer to a better gear mesh..  Worst case call Richmond and see what they suggest..  They are the experts.  I am only a backyard engineering mechanic..   ;D  lol  I kidd..

Seriously call them and see what the cause and effect of running a tighter BL..  As I see it is if the mesh is good and nothing is binding then how can that be bad..

anything