Author Topic: Power Top Problem/Questions  (Read 3900 times)

gkweber3

• View Profile
Power Top Problem/Questions
« on: November 09, 2013, 08:07:27 PM »
I am in the final stages of my restoration and am putting the convertible top on. I have now found two problems.
1. the cylinders are leaking - can the they be repaired/rebuilt? Is it worth it? Who does this type of work? (they are $170 at NPD)
2. while raising and lowering the top, the power cuts out half way, like there is a circuit breaker getting too hot. After waiting a couple of minutes it works again. I cannot raise or lower it all the way without it cutting out. I replaced the switch - no good. It does not feel like it is getting hot anywhere. Any thoughts?

Mike S

• View Profile
Re: Power Top Problem/Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 09:33:55 PM »
  If the motor doesn't smell like it's burning -or- it is not laboring due to too much air in the system,  then I would try to jump the breaker to see if that is the source of the power interruption. I suspect that is the cause and it may be bad being so old now.
 As for a leaking cylinder, I have one that is leaking too. I looked at the reproductions and they look dead on accurate i n shape. But, I may send mine out to get them resealed unless I can find the seals in a kit and do iot myself. I want to keep the original ones being that after so many years, one gets a sentimental attachment to the car plus its original parts.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 01:43:06 PM »
The rams are not really repairable. They are pinched around the top and do not come off without cutting and ruining it.  If they are leaking around the fittings, mostly likely is the hose fittings that leaking.  Replace the hoses first if that is the case.  If they are leaking out at the top seal where the chromed rod comes out, then replacement is usually required.  Your curcuit breaker is mounted behing the brake master cyl on the firewall.  you need to inspect all the wiring from the horn relay, back to the motor to see if there are any corroded or poor connections. The motor may need a rebuild as well.     

gkweber3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 02:39:26 AM »
Thanks guys - the leak is at the seal, not at the fitting........looks like a bunch more money required. I have not tried "jumping" the breaker yet - will this week to see if that is the issue. Thanks for the insights. George

KevinW

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 11:59:20 AM »
Here is a good post on what is inside a ram and efforts to fix them and the pump. :) http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=207485

anything