Author Topic: new restoration endevour  (Read 24777 times)

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
Re: new restoration endevour
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 12:22:39 PM »
Some guys will say leave it , "survivor"---I understand. If you try to repair , you will never blend the paint in without it showing. I had mine touched up for stone chips around 20 years ago---all I saw when the sun hit it. Many strong opinions but mine is fix it right. I hung my hat on original paint survivor for many years. Say what you will ,it is in a state of dis repair. But I guess one man's rust is another's "patina". Bottom line your call, if everyone felt the same every car in here would look the same.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 02:21:02 PM »
How bad are the rear wheel wells?  If they are rusted bad then I would go ahead with a restoration..  But that is just me..  I havent seen the car in person so I can not say 100% what I would do.  Regardless you have a very nice starting point of an american classic.  In the end its your car and you can do what  you want and in the end whatever makes you happy is what counts..  Right!!??!!

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 02:28:31 PM »
And, even if you decide to restore it, it would behoove you to take *hundreds* of photos of all the details, even the 'bad' parts, BEFORE you begin the restoration, to document the car prior to restoration.  you may think your car is 'bad' with the rust around the wheel wells, but compared to some of the 'restored' cars before they were restored, your car is extremely nice.. and that would make a big difference to me if I was looking for a restored Camaro!
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 06:54:04 PM »
Agree 100% of the fore mentioned--shoot pics of everything, and what you find under the paint---proof. We are at about 400 and counting ( they add up)! half are the painters.

g8ts

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2013, 04:10:45 AM »
ok thanks for all the comments and reply's....my plan right now is to detail the interior and engine bay. I would absolutely love to keep her a survivor but the back wheel wells would be a problem (see pics).

They need to be totally cut out and replaced...If someone could give me some insight to ...if I do that can I match the paint ...aged survivor look...or have to re-paint the whole body. I would love to redo the wheels and buff and clean the rest and clear coat...I'd be good for another 20 yrs and in the end I am just preserving for the next owner anyways! In the meantime scrubbing cleaning..ordered windshield and engine bay wiring harness...pull front fenders, pull cracked windshield, grind and repaint...pic's to follow. The PO drove it year round so obviously winter salt rot...actually the inner wheel wells are in pretty good shape. Some kind of weather proof tar on inside.
Thanks again for comments...

1969 Z28 X33 Rally Green black stripes

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2013, 04:29:06 PM »
I believe I'd save as much of the original panels as I could, cut the rust out and replace it. It's only going to get worse - rust never sleeps - this car is a keeper in my estimation, so bite the bullet and get 'er done. I had the opportunity to work on a true survivor car several years back - there were some imperfections in the 100% original paint (quarter panel at the rear window scratches, front stripe, door stripe, front header panel) - a 7000 mile '68 SS 350/295, Corvette Bronze - the then-owner decided to touch it up, and it actually worked - you really could not see the areas that were repainted, the overall effect was outstanding. True, it should have been left alone, but the owner wanted perfection. Point is you can fix the issues without detracting from the car, and help preserve it for the years of enjoyment to come.

The rest of the story - fix was not cheap, $1100 in 1995. Painter was well renowned local guy, painted many of a local collector's Yenkos and others, one of the best I have seen. With color matching today as high tech as it is, color blending shouldn't be a concern if you use the right guy.

Just my 2 cents -

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2013, 07:28:37 PM »
I, too, have been asking the same questions of others, as well as myself, about what to do with this car needing similar work. I would certainly love to be cruising around in a fully restored and shiny silver 69 RS SS but, for me, the financial responsibility of a proper restoration and the upkeep afterwards is way too much right now. I love using the car...getting in it and driving it. I like the fact that it is an old used car that happens to be a cool Camaro. Rarely do you see a "beater" first gen on the road anymore. A car like this attracts a lot of attention too, mostly from other car enthusiasts...non enthusiasts don't really appreciate them. The question "Is it for sale?" is asked very often because, I guess, a car in this condition is viewed as obtainable...like, I'm not doing anything with it. Most, it seems, are "flippers" looking to make some cash.
The rust in various areas is getting to me and has to be dealt with. I'm struggling with this because it is sort of a "survivor" and I don't want to be just hanging new panels all over it because not only does it decrease its survivor value but is crosses that restoration line...(like, where do you stop?). Some have suggested that if I can't afford it I should sell it. :-\ In fact, most body shops I talked to had more interest in trying to buy the car from me than help me fix it. Recently, I've been in touch with a body man in my area (does some work for Ken Lucas) that understands my predicament and has expressed interest in fixing what I have and maintaining the appearance. I trust his knowledge of Camaro body work and he has an artistic eye for custom work that I think will be good for my application. I am an auto mechanic by trade so I'm able to do all "mechanical" work myself. Also, I am fortunate enough to own a 68 RS with a recent makeover and a few custom goodies which fulfill my shiny fast car fix. That has an influence on my decision to leave the 69 alone.
Regardless, this has been a tough decision for me to find a balance between whats right for the car (because I love Camaros and the hobby) and whats right for me financially and for my enjoyment. I think knowing what you want and what you will enjoy is the key. If you want a survivor, we will help and support you. If you want to take on a restoration, we will help and support you. Of course, you could throw that engine in there, cruise the countryside and think about it for a while. :)

John
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

g8ts

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2013, 08:45:26 PM »
Quote: Of course, you could throw that engine in there, cruise the countryside and think about it for a while. Smiley

Best thing I've heard all day...she's a driving, survivor, work in progress !!! I want to get her on the road and just take my time and have some fun...would rather put money into a nice carb. and Mallory distributor right now.
1969 Z28 X33 Rally Green black stripes

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2013, 09:42:50 PM »
Hey ,you answered your own question " have some fun " After owning this car 25 years in March--my fun is learning to Phosphate ! Dad owned it 13 years before me so its been in my life for ever. Clean interior ,detailed engine compartment ,black out the rust with inhibitor, it really is a great looking car the way it sits---best part your name's on the title !  And I've posted " the build really never really ends "  And $$, I got a kid in college--does tend to slow progress down a bit ! Keep the pics coming.

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2013, 11:53:28 PM »
Have fun with the car but as others have mentioned if you restore document everything.
Example of my documentation on our 68Z we have owned for over 30 years.
http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2013, 09:20:01 AM »
Quote: Of course, you could throw that engine in there, cruise the countryside and think about it for a while. Smiley

Best thing I've heard all day...she's a driving, survivor, work in progress !!! I want to get her on the road and just take my time and have some fun...would rather put money into a nice carb. and Mallory distributor right now.
X2!! (I also like the flat hood and color)
I think you'd have a smile from ear to ear just driving it as is.
My car is not a show car has rock chips and the like, the previous owner had some paint touched up in the rear quarters where the salt was starting to impact, like yours. The number of cars out there with mostly original paint I have to think is pretty low, and every time one of those gets restored/repainted it just means the originals are little bit more rare. Buff it out and detail as is, would be a cheap start, and awesome look.
Welcome to site & good luck with it!
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2013, 09:25:02 AM »
I, too, have been asking the same questions of others, as well as myself, about what to do with this car needing similar work. I would certainly love to be cruising around in a fully restored and shiny silver 69 RS SS but, for me, the financial responsibility of a proper restoration and the upkeep afterwards is way too much right now. I love using the car...getting in it and driving it. I like the fact that it is an old used car that happens to be a cool Camaro. Rarely do you see a "beater" first gen on the road anymore. A car like this attracts a lot of attention too, mostly from other car enthusiasts...non enthusiasts don't really appreciate them. The question "Is it for sale?" is asked very often because, I guess, a car in this condition is viewed as obtainable...like, I'm not doing anything with it. Most, it seems, are "flippers" looking to make some cash.
The rust in various areas is getting to me and has to be dealt with. I'm struggling with this because it is sort of a "survivor" and I don't want to be just hanging new panels all over it because not only does it decrease its survivor value but is crosses that restoration line...(like, where do you stop?). Some have suggested that if I can't afford it I should sell it. :-\ In fact, most body shops I talked to had more interest in trying to buy the car from me than help me fix it. Recently, I've been in touch with a body man in my area (does some work for Ken Lucas) that understands my predicament and has expressed interest in fixing what I have and maintaining the appearance. I trust his knowledge of Camaro body work and he has an artistic eye for custom work that I think will be good for my application. I am an auto mechanic by trade so I'm able to do all "mechanical" work myself. Also, I am fortunate enough to own a 68 RS with a recent makeover and a few custom goodies which fulfill my shiny fast car fix. That has an influence on my decision to leave the 69 alone.
Regardless, this has been a tough decision for me to find a balance between whats right for the car (because I love Camaros and the hobby) and whats right for me financially and for my enjoyment. I think knowing what you want and what you will enjoy is the key. If you want a survivor, we will help and support you. If you want to take on a restoration, we will help and support you. Of course, you could throw that engine in there, cruise the countryside and think about it for a while. :)

John
Hey John I would like to see more pics of your car as well, start a new post for those of us that are fans of " the unrestored" to see some pics please  ;D

6667ss138

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2013, 01:41:02 PM »
I second that. I would love to see as many pictures of both unrestored cars as you both would be so kind to post. I love these unrestored cars!

Azure1969Z/28

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2013, 11:04:29 PM »
My thought is that neither one of the cars pictured in this post look like they have "SURVIVED" anything. I think that these cars can be repainted and reconditioned at a fraction of the cost of complete restorations and the owners shouldn't feel bad rehabbing them. In fact they should feel good about improving the car's quality of life.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2013, 12:07:21 AM »
I would respectfully disagree: they have both survived numerous decades of weather and good/bad storage and still retain 95% or more of their original paint, and it appears most of the interior sheet metal also survived and possibly a lot of the upholstery. The other aspect to consider is both of these cars have survived their owners instincts to take advice from others to repaint or restore. IMO it is examples such as these that give the rest of us a clear "picture" of how the car left the factory, and works as a guide for all those restoring cars what would have been correct. (colors, fitment, part numbers etc)
I wouldn't say anyone is trying to make a fellow CRG member feel bad, we are (as you are) just giving friendly advice.

anything