Author Topic: OT- Ceiling mounted garage heater placement  (Read 3897 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
OT- Ceiling mounted garage heater placement
« on: November 01, 2013, 06:36:30 PM »
 I'm installing a 5KW electric heater to the ceiling in my attached and insulated 1 car garage (no windows) to keep the Camaro's and my ageing bones semi-warm. Not having any friends who heat their garages, I am having one heck of a time determining the correct location.  Facing the garage door or away. I have done a LOT of web browsing and see too many conflicting opinions and manufactures documentation is vague. One thing is for sure is it will be scraping the outside wall. It's just to face the garage door or away.
  Any folks here have heaters?

Thanks you,
Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Re: OT- Ceiling mounted garage heater placement
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 06:51:24 PM »
My father in law and I have a hanger where I keep the Camara and a few other vehicles, the area where the heat escapes is the main door and the ceiling. Both are insulated but where the door opens ( on the sides and top and bottom) there is rubber there but it isn't a strong air tight seal. Heat rises obviously so if you have any areas in the ceiling where heat can escape I would recommend  insulating as best you can to fill in any gaps.
So with all that said, I would recommend an install that pushes all the hotest heat away from the door, and directed down. You will have some heat that will escape through the door and ceiling but without seeing a picture of your garage this would be my best advice based on my experience.
FYI we also have some ceiling fans in our hanger and when we crank up the heat in the winter we use those to push the hot air down to the floor, this seems to raise the temp throughout the hanger about 5 to 10 degrees.
We keep the thermostat set at 40 degrees during the winter, and if we are going to be there a while we may crank it up to 50. When you come in from temps in the teens or below outside to 40 or 50 it feels awesome.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 07:01:57 PM »
Note where most heat ducts are placed inside the house: near the outside walls, windows, etc.
X2 to a ceiling fan to bring the heat down and keep air moving.
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 08:21:02 PM »
 The garage is newly insulated with an insulated rear entry door on the short wall, new main front door with thermo glass on the top row and insulated panels in the rest of the door plus a fully ground contact bottom seal and ceiling insulation as well. I plan on having a fan in the opposite corner to circulate heat downwards and towards the other end of the garage to keep a downward/circular air flow. The inside temp stays approximately 11-13 degrees above the outside temp and this is with no heat yet. So, the main house has an effect too on the warmth. I am leaning towards aiming away from the main door towards the back (angled down from the ceiling). But I have read that there will be a more uniform room temp overall if blowing towards the door which would be the coolest area and then circulating towards the warmer parts.
  I'm not going to live in it of course so having it "human comfortable" may not necessarily need to apply.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored