Author Topic: Right hand door mirror mounting holes location  (Read 11831 times)

Ue

• View Profile
Right hand door mirror mounting holes location
« on: November 01, 2013, 08:03:23 AM »
Hi All,
I've recently bought a 68 SS/RS and as I'm living down under in Australia, we drive on the left hand side of the road. I'm allowed to keep the Camaro left hand drive but I really need to install a right hand door mirror to keep it safe.

Can anyone provide a template, or hole location measurements?
I know it sits further back than the Left hand side but would like to install the mirror in as original location (by dealers only of course) as possible.

If anyone could undo the single screw holding theirs on and measure the holes that would be GREAT :)
Cheers,
Ue.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
Re: Right hand door mirror mounting holes location
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 03:58:43 PM »
Have you checked the AIM that Kurt has posted?
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55969979/1968%20CAMARO%20FACTORY%20ASSEMBLY%20MANUAL.pdf

It may show it in there as an option, and give the dimensions of where to drill the holes.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

Ue

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 12:47:55 AM »
Thanks Bullitt65,
I've got the manual in paperback already but having an digital copy makes it SOOOO much easier to search for things. I wish I could get the other manuals in PDF too.
Unfortunately the right hand side mirror is not mentioned. I suspect this is because, as many say, a dealer fitted accessory so os not included in factory manuals.

Anyone else with measurements or links to templates?
Cheers,
Ue.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 12:51:42 AM »
 Sorry I thought there might have been a visibility package option that would have had the day night mirror and remote drivers side mirror, and then a passenger side mirror. Somebody on here should be able to provide it here shortly.  :)
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 12:52:50 AM »
This may not be the correct way to do it.  On my car I measured the holes on the Drivers door and transferred the measurements.  (actually did this when my son had the car)
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois

Ue

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 03:20:44 AM »
Thanks MyRed67. I believe that they sat a bit further back than the left hand one for better vision. I'm not 100% on that but it makes sense.
Cheers,
Ue.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 09:11:29 PM »
Yes, it should sit back further. I've never seen installation instructions for it, but I recall someone else asking the same question a couple of years ago - either here or on TC.
Kurt S
CRG

ZLP955

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 01:04:28 AM »
This thread that I started over at Team Camaro a while ago may be the one Kurt is thinking of.
FWIW, I have started repairing the passenger door skin, but have yet to position and install the mirror yet, so can't provide a firm measurement at present.
Tim in Australia.
1969 04A Van Nuys Z/28. Cortez Silver, Dark Blue interior, VE3, Z21, Z23, D55/U17, D80, flat hood.
Sold at Clippinger Chevrolet in Covina, CA.
AHRA Formula Stock at Lions Dragstrip, NHRA E/MP at Pomona Raceway

Ue

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 11:00:02 AM »
    Thanks Everyone,
    I ended up following ZPL955 links advice to mount 1" further back than the Left hand side mirror. On a 68 that's fine though I suspect it may be in the way of the vent window for a 67.
    1- YES, have someone hold it where you think it should be and be sure it's right for you.
    2- Cover area with tape and the outer area with rubber or anything that can take a drills head slipping across the surface. Not worth the risk otherwise.
    3- 1" further back than the Left hand side suits a 68 and still looks symmetrical when looking at car from the front. Further back may not but personal choice.
    4- Aftermarket metal thread screws hold the mirror well enough though there is a upper reinforcement/brace a few mm past the door skin if you wanted drill through to that and use longer screws. You would have to be careful they are not too long and reach the window of course.

For anyone searching for this in the future....
    1-
Original left hand side door mirror hole measurements are thus... {in millimetres as it's often Aussies looking this up I reckon  ;) } I then replicated these and moved 1" (25mm) further back for the right hand side.
2-Straight line from centre of rear hole, through holes to front edge of door = 152mm
3-Straight line from centre of front hole, lined up through both holes to front edge of door = 110mm[/li][/list]
4-Distance between hole centres = 42mm
5-Front hole centre to edge of chrome trim = 22mm
6-Rear hole centre to edge of chrome trim = 20mm
* NOTE. when replicating these measurements to the right hand side THEN moving back 1", the distance from hole to chrome trim seems to even out to about 20mm.

While I was at it I covered the original remote mirror hole on left hand side with quality tape to reduce water entry. If you leave a 1-2mm edge it will hide under mirror base.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 11:32:30 AM by Ue »
Cheers,
Ue.

Luwi67

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 03:48:28 PM »
When you say mount the right side mirror 1" back you mean 1" closer to the front of the of the car right?

Ue

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 09:12:54 PM »
"Back" as in towards the rear of the car is the general consensus from the forums. Looks & works OK.
Cheers,
Ue.

Kelley W King

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 09:31:31 PM »
Just my 2 cents, I have a 69 with the passenger mirror located same as the drivers side. 1977 photos (last repaint) show it there also. My brother has a 68 very original that is the same way. No problems using them. I would say dealers did whatever they thought.
69 Z28 RS Scuncio Hi Performance
69 SS L78
67 SS Chevelle
64 Corvette
66 GTO Tiger Gold
77 Trans Am Special Edition

anything