Author Topic: Water leak - need help  (Read 5820 times)

allthatnchips2

• View Profile
Water leak - need help
« on: September 13, 2006, 12:05:15 AM »
Hello everyone.  I'm new to the board and glad to be here. 
I have a 67 sport coupe I bought from the original owner 20 years ago and I still love it.  The only issue I'm having is a leak when it rains that drips onto the passanger floor board.  Not alot but enough.  It is not the heater core.  I believe it has something to do with the "vents" (don't know what they are called) on the hood below the wipers.  I have a feeling there is a gasket in there somewhere that needs replacing.

What is the best way to get to that gasket?

Could it be something else.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Thanks in advance

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Water leak - need help
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 12:24:21 AM »
Although it could be other things, more than likely you have a water leak at the base of the windshield. After all these years, the dash rusts away in the corners and the windshield seal get brittle. These two things will allow water to leak in under certain conditions with rain and washing your car being two of the most common. The only way to tell is to pull the chrome from the windshield and examine your dash.

Ed

allthatnchips2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 12:27:26 AM »
Thanks Bert, I'll do that.  I'm pretty sure that is not the case since I had the windshield replaced (no rust) about 8 years ago and it has been garaged since but it is worth a look.

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 12:31:17 AM »
The best thing to do would be to have someone hold a hose on the car (in different areas) while you start looking for leaks under the dash. Once they find the right spot, it should be easy to see water coming inside.

Ed

allthatnchips2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 12:41:02 AM »
Good idea Bert.  Do you know the technical name for those vent things so I don't sound like a fool?

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 01:54:05 AM »
There are a couple of vents in the car. The fist are the side kick panel vents. These are the ones that you open with the slider knobs. The second are the dash vents. These open with the knobs that look like door lock knobs. The final vent is the Cowl. This is where the windshield wipers are located. It's highly improbable that the cowl is the location of the leak because it drains to the sides, but you never know.

Ed