Author Topic: Production Schedule around Holidays  (Read 7577 times)

cook_dw

• View Profile
Production Schedule around Holidays
« on: October 25, 2013, 12:26:23 AM »
Specifically Christmas 1967 & New Years 1968 timeframe?  Any differences between plants ?  More curious about Van Nuys..

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
Re: Production Schedule around Holidays
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 05:23:07 PM »
Specifically Christmas 1967 & New Years 1968 timeframe?  Any differences between plants ?  More curious about Van Nuys..

Both plants operated under the National Agreement with the UAW, which specified the paid holidays. As I recall, only Christmas Day and New Year's Day were paid holidays up through 1970; the big Christmas-through-New Year's Day holiday didn't start until 1971, and the extended Thanksgiving holiday didn't start until 1974.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 05:32:24 PM »
Thanks John!!

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 05:36:11 PM »
Another quick question.  Would they have worked Saturday to make up for the Monday which was Christmas?

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 03:45:47 PM »
Another quick question.  Would they have worked Saturday to make up for the Monday which was Christmas?

No. Their schedule recognized that as a contractual holiday.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

bergy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 12:33:52 PM »
Just for clarity - lots of employees worked on paid holidays including some production activities.  Contractually, assembly plants could have scheduled production activities on any of those days - wether or not anyone would show up for work might be another matter!  Working through holidays was very lucrative though - hioliday pay plus 1 1/2 to 2 times base rate.  I worked through those holidays - paid a lot of bills with the extra $$. 

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2013, 03:52:55 PM »
Most of the time, maintenance and engineering changes were done on those holidays. Mostly skilled trades were working.
Supplier plants might have some (smaller) lines running, but it would be unusual for assembly plants due to the # of people needed on the line. :)
Kurt S
CRG

bergy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 12:03:19 AM »
I agree Kurt - the time between Christmas and New Years was always a big maintenance period.  However, if Christmas fell on a Monday, it would not have been unusual to run production lines on the Saturday prior to Christmas (at least at Tonawanda).  It just depended on demand.  I could get sufficient manpower to run lines on December 23rd - it wasn't like asking people to work Christmas Eve.  My comments were just to clarify that there was no contractual prohibition from working on holidays.

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 08:46:46 AM »
It's all good - I was just trying to help explain what was happening in the plants. ;)
Kurt S
CRG

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 03:56:32 PM »
I would imagine that auto manufacturers operated their plants the same as any 'heavy' manufacturing operation, except they also had the UAW, and it's contract, to deal with.  :)   It's all about meeting demand, and making $$ (which means minimizing costs, and maximizing sales revenue).. :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 03:47:14 PM »
I would imagine that auto manufacturers operated their plants the same as any 'heavy' manufacturing operation, except they also had the UAW, and it's contract, to deal with.  :)   It's all about meeting demand, and making $$ (which means minimizing costs, and maximizing sales revenue).. :)

When I was a Chrysler assembly plant manager, the key metrics against which my performance was measured every single day were (in priority order) SQDCM - Safety, Quality, Delivery, Cost, and Morale; manage those, and the small stuff will take care of itself.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

VINCE Z28

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 04:31:09 PM »
It may suprise some to think safety ranked so high, but when I first started working in heavy manufacturing in the late 70's, It was common to see the older guy's missing a finger or two. As time went on an companies engineered more safety measures and employees took ownership of their safety programs things changed. Safety was a way of thinking... not a slogan or banner hanging on the wall. Terry 
" He who knows naught, knows not that he knows naught"  It's not you...  It's just the way my brain is wired.

bergy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 11:12:59 AM »
Unfortunately, it took witnessing some awful accidents to imprint the importance of safety indelibly in my mind.  Even after leaving GM - our plants in PA often worked 1,000,000 man hours without a lost time accident - and those are foundry man hours.

anything