Author Topic: goodyear polyglas tires  (Read 27087 times)

camaroman1969

• View Profile
goodyear polyglas tires
« on: October 20, 2013, 07:21:37 PM »
Hello everyone!!!   I have a issue with a set of goodyear polyglas tires I bought new from Kelsey tire.  When on the open road, car want to track left to right.  It seems its wanting to follow cracks in the road.  Any input would be helpful from this site.  I've had a guy tell me it the tire design.  These tires have a "square" edge not "round" like a radial tire.  thanks!      Don

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: goodyear polyglas tires
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 10:05:48 PM »
that's one of the 'characteristics' of bias belted tires...      Fun huh?  :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

lcmc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 10:27:23 PM »
Try tightening up the steering box. I did and it really helped
Danny
1969 Z/28 X77
1970 Nova L78 9300 original miles

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 10:35:58 PM »
X2... and alignment?
Were the alignment specs for your bias belted tires followed when the tires were put on the car? Toe-in?
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

camaroman1969

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 12:33:53 AM »
X2... and alignment?
Were the alignment specs for your bias belted tires followed when the tires were put on the car? Toe-in?
Thank you for the reply..  My Camaro had a alignment after car was frame-off restored.  Then came the goodyear tires.  I've never heard of "alignment specs" for goodyear polyglas tires. Can you give me anymore info on this matter??  Trying to resolve this issue with the car, because its not safe at high speeds.  Thanks!     Don

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 02:37:51 AM »
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=3913.0  
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=4656.0

Did the people you had rebuild your car drop it on it's feet before tightening all the suspension bolts?

camaroman1969

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 04:50:57 PM »
Don't know what you mean by that.....please explain further.        Don
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=3913.0   
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=4656.0

Did the people you had rebuild your car drop it on it's feet before tightening all the suspension bolts?

camaroman1969

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 04:56:25 PM »
Hi again!  I've never heard of "alignment specs" for these tires. Could you explain further please???  Don
X2... and alignment?

camaroman1969

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 05:00:01 PM »
How bad does your car wander on this rubber???

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 05:11:44 PM »
How bad does your car wander on this rubber???
I don't have bias belted on my Camaro, but I have other cars (older) with bias belted, and when I changed from Michelin radial X's to the repro bias belted on my '57 Bel Air.  it was like a different car.  I don't drive it nearly as much anymore..  I'd recommend a nice radial tire if you are going to drive your car.. The advent of radial tires was maybe more significant than modern brakes on the 'handling/safety' of cars..
biasbelts track grooves in the road, and if there's no grooves, they will find 'something' to track on .. :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Dusk Blue Z

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 05:56:32 PM »
You would want the full weight of the car on the suspension before the upper and lower control arm bolts are tightened. There are serrations on the ends of the bushings that will bite in place when the bolts are tightened.

After my frame off, where everything is tight and aligned right. Using the Goodyear’s, you kind travel in the general direction of where the front end is pointed. It certainly not like any new car of today but that is the fun part of driving a car that is 44 years old.

Mike
Mike

1969 Z/28 Legends Certified
1969 Z-10 Under Construction

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 06:10:52 PM »
 If I recall the earlier alignment specs, there should be a certain amount of toe-in so when the car moves forward the road will force it outwards to take up any minor play in the steering. If the toe in/out is perfect then the steering can be prone to wandering, which what it sounds like you are experiencing.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 07:32:45 PM »
If I recall the earlier alignment specs, there should be a certain amount of toe-in so when the car moves forward the road will force it outwards to take up any minor play in the steering. If the toe in/out is perfect then the steering can be prone to wandering, which what it sounds like you are experiencing.
Mike
X2
Don, sorry to be slow to respond, but I'm still having to work for a living.  What Mike said is exactly what I was "taught" back in the day.  (Thanks, Mike! Your explanation is a whole lot clearer than what I was told in 1965...)  I'm old enough to have driven several different cars on bias belted tires.  They did not wander all that much with a little toe-in setting. 
The alignment "specs" are actually for the car.  As for tracking, the alignment was considered "correct" if they did track just a little to the right (outward).  Or, again, that's what I was told the first time I went to buy a set of tires on my own.  I did wonder at the time, if the English aligned so that they tracked to the left...  ???
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

camaroman1969

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, 07:53:03 PM »
Mike, Thanks for taking the time to explain.  Some guys say "steering box" are "loose".  Rebuilders now use "Firm Feel" internals.  Don

Mike

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 08:26:07 PM »
The "alignment specs" are in the build book 67/68. If someone has a 69 maybe they can post a copy for him. And wow ,I have not heard about tracking to the right in years ! Did hear it however--- " would keep you from drifting left of center"  maybe an urban legend.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

anything