Author Topic: Storing Tires  (Read 6909 times)

Vince

• View Profile
Storing Tires
« on: November 20, 2013, 04:59:53 AM »
What is the preferred or best way to store a set of  tires?  I plan on keeping a set of reproduction Goodyear bias ply tires in my cellar where they will not be exposed to any sunlight.  The cellar is also ventilated and not a lot of moisture accumulates even in the winter.  Is it best to store them upright not touching each other like they commonly do in tire stores?  Should they be rotated every so often?  Is it better to store them mounted on wheels than not mounted?  And if so, how is the best way to store the wheel-tire combination?  Stacked, upright, etc.?  Thank you.   

z28z11

• View Profile
Re: Storing Tires
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 05:34:01 AM »
I stored two sets of Goodyear originals, one set for 20 plus years, stacked flat (first tire on wood), separated by a single layer of plastic to keep the carbon black from penetrating the white letters. Light coat of protectant on the tires, otherwise they sat in one spot for all that time in a frame garage, not climate controlled, and were dry-rot and check free when I sold them a couple of years back. If you store them for a long length of time upright, they'll probably flat spot (my B.F. Goodrich T/A's were terrible after 19 years in the same spot, no dry rot amazingly, but were quite square). The Goodboots were not mounted; the T/A's were on my LS5 Chevelle, sold in 2011.
BTW - the T/A's did not rot, either, but I sure wouldn't have run them on the street - felt like a Shriner's clown car when I pulled it out of storage.
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 01:37:22 PM »
UV kills tires. I have all 5 "born with " tires for the Z with no sign of dry rot ,however 4:88's and a heavy right foot have left less than desirable tread. They were on the rims but off the car since 69-70. In 90 I wanted the rally's back on  and had radials mounted. Those are still on and display no rot. Also my slicks are still in VGC. My spare had a tire cover on it and had not been uncovered since 76. Sidewalls look new but signs it had been used in tire rotation. (anybody still remember when the spare was integrated in :D) I used no treatment or special way of storage other than keeping them stored in the attic. Dry and sunlight free. We have a large set of wrinkle walls  on the Anglia ,and I always keep the rear off the ground enough to relieve  sidewall pressure while being stored---off the thread but something to keep in mind for those who might be running a street slick ,which have softer sidewalls.
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 04:08:18 PM »
UV kills tires. I have all 5 "born with " tires for the Z with no sign of dry rot ,however 4:88's and a heavy right foot have left less than desirable tread. They were on the rims but off the car since 69-70. In 90 I wanted the rally's back on  and had radials mounted. Those are still on and display no rot. Also my slicks are still in VGC. My spare had a tire cover on it and had not been uncovered since 76. Sidewalls look new but signs it had been used in tire rotation. (anybody still remember when the spare was integrated in :D) I used no treatment or special way of storage other than keeping them stored in the attic. Dry and sunlight free. We have a large set of wrinkle walls  on the Anglia ,and I always keep the rear off the ground enough to relieve  sidewall pressure while being stored---off the thread but something to keep in mind for those who might be running a street slick ,which have softer sidewalls.
I remember that time very well, Jano.. but I was too *poor* for a five tire rotation, meaning that when they wore out, they ALL were worn out, so you had to buy five tires (or buy four and keep the 'best' of the worn ones for your spare).   I followed the alternative, which meant I didn't use the spare, until the original four tires wore out, then I bought only THREE new ones, and used the original spare for the 4th, and used the best of the worn tires for the spare.   It minimized how much the poor airman and/or student had to shell out for new tires in one whack!!  and I typically traded in the car before the 3rd set was needed... :)

PS.  and you are right it's the UV rays that kill tires and other rubber/vinyl items.  The only improvement I'd suggest to the original poster re 'keeping tires for a long time' in storage, would be to put each of them into a large black garbage bag and seal it up, and then store it in the dark place (basements are good and where I keep mine).
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 04:51:40 PM »
If you ever walk through the pits at the drags and wondered why everyone has their rear slicks covered ,that's the reason. UV protection. Thin sidewalls made to "wrinkle" Tire pressure fluctuation is not the reason being it's checked one final time before staging. I do anyway.

And to add yes ,cannot hurt to cover those tires up in storage. Good point.

Last post, got a promotion to study for ;)
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 05:53:11 PM »
I agree with storing them horizontal. I have had a couple of older original motorcycle tires for Sporters and Triumphs, and I could always tell the ones that were stored upright because they would end up having a flat spot. You think it is noticeable on a car, man try putting a tire with a flat spot on a motorcycle! I have a few sets of original tires for various vehicles and when I have stored them for longer periods of time horizontal is the way to go, piece of wood on the floor first sounds like a good idea, also the bags over them another good idea.
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

jeff68

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 09:05:01 PM »
68 L30/M20 Convertible, Ash Gold
N10, F41, N34, Z21, ZJ9, Z87, D55, G80, P01, U17

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 06:20:48 AM »
I mounted one of these on my wall of the garage.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=164&category=Tire+Storage

Mounted and aired up wit cardboard inbetween,,,,,,

Jim
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

Vince

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 12:42:40 AM »
Thanks for the info, guys. 

MyRed67

• SZZLN 67
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 05:27:20 AM »
I think what creates the greater flat spots is having the weight of the vehicle on them.  I don't think the weight of the tire, or tire/rim combo will do that much damage if properly inflated.   Myself, I prefer laying flat with cardboard in between.
1967 Camaro  LOS  11A
Original Engine   Z - Tribute
Mike C.    NW - Illinois