Author Topic: My '69 04C Z/28 has rear antenna and spoiler. What's up?  (Read 5517 times)

doomer

• View Profile
My '69 04C Z/28 has rear antenna and spoiler. What's up?
« on: September 20, 2012, 04:25:42 PM »
As I understand it, the D80 spoiler became standard on all Z28s by the time my 04C was built. I read in the CRG guide the following:

"The rear antenna option, U73, was not available from the factory with either of the AM/FM radios (U69/U79) or the D80 spoiler. However, the rear antenna was often installed by the dealer, even with these other options".

I'd like to be able to determine is this could be the case, or if the antenna was installed later in the life of the car. I do not believe that the passenger side quarter the anntenna is on is original to the car, so that may have something to do with the situation. Any suggestions on how to determine if this is a correct install or an error made sometime during the life of the car?

-D

x77-69z28

• View Profile
Re: My '69 04C Z/28 has rear antenna and spoiler. What's up?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 07:07:22 PM »
check the right door hinge pillar and see if there is a plug in the hole for the fender antenna. i t can only be one of two things. either the spoiler was added or the antenna was added. i dont think the spoilers were mandatory until the end of april.
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

doomer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 07:35:15 PM »
 ;D How about the antenna cable I just found hanging free there out of that hole? LOL!

So, now I am thinking the rear antenna is not correct, and the front fender is not original either? I wonder why someone would want to move the antenna, unless the body parts they used for a repair were from a rear antenna car, and just ran a new antenna?

Funny that I never noticed that antenna cable hanging there. Newbs... ::)

french69ssrs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 02:17:56 PM »
Hi Doomer
     I know this post is a little late but my 69 SSRS has the Antenna in the Left Rear 1/4. I love having it there and I am also adding the Rear Spoiler that was Not available with this antenna. Will install a Power Antenna when I get to that point. Will make putting the car covering on and off easer   :)

I also worked for a Chrysler Dealer back in the mid 70's and I have seen for our Cars - GM/ Chevy, The Rear antenna option, available after the fact, you would tell them Left Rear or Right Rear when installing. We hated this as from the Factory when built, it was a No Brainer, No Interior.
     We would have to pull Door Sills, Seats and interior Moldings to run the Cable to the Rear and the Salesman only wanted to charge the customer what the Assembly line Install price of like $12.93 as the option if ordered before the car was built.

I am not bringing my car back to Original, doing it Old School and my Son and I are Building a BBC 427 for our “Back Burner Restoration”. I am also doing 15” Tires, Cragar S/S and a Vinyl Top,  like I had in HS. Don’t care about Pro Touring/ Pro Street and “G” times on the Skid Pad.
     I want that 70’s stance I had when “I thought I knew it all”, then I got Married and had a Family. Even looked up Gabriel HiJACKERS.

Good luck with your Z-28, Looks Great !
Timmy (French69SSRS) Trumbull, CT

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 06:12:19 AM »
If it has a factory rear ant there wouldnt be a ant lead hanging out the cowl side. It would have the cable retained in the pass wire gutter using a clip which isnt reproduced. It slides down over the pinch weld and has a rubber coated finger which holds the cable down.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

anything