Author Topic: brake line leak..pulling my hair out!!  (Read 7535 times)

nlpirr

• View Profile
brake line leak..pulling my hair out!!
« on: September 21, 2006, 03:06:36 AM »
okay..I did a disc brake conversion (front only) to include replacing all brake lines on my 69 camaro. I finally get through this after several weekends and the darn line that goes from the front to the back (two piece) and goes into that valve type thing mid way,will not seat and leaks every time I attempt to bleed the brakes. Ive tried everything to get the bolt and flare to seat and seal into this darn thing but its still leaks no matter what I do.

I cant even find the part on line (which I dont know the name of ).I cant find it in any part book or the complete disc set I have for origional camaro parts either????

does anyone out there have any idea on how I can get this new front brake line to seal into this junction piece that links the front to the back line????? so I can bleed these brakes and get on the road again..I'm going through withdrawl  its been so long since I've been in my car..

help.

nickp

lakeholme

• 68-12D L30/M35
    • View Profile
Re: brake line leak..pulling my hair out!!
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 03:09:44 PM »
Niick P,
I'm just offering sympathy and hope:
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=263.msg1434#msg1434
I had the same problem...  Never got any real "fix" suggested for it.  But after trying about a dozen times, I finally got it seated right.
I know why I had trouble seating it: I'm not a plumber and that's what this is... a plumbing problem. 
Here's the hope: I got it fixed in January and no leak since!

I should add that my brake lines appear to be original...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 04:32:57 PM by lakeholme »
Phillip, HNR & NCR-AACA, Senior Master, Team Captain, Admin.,
Spring Southeastern Nationals chair, AACA National Director

mrdetails

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 04:13:07 PM »
The part your talking about is the proportioning valve (keeps the rear brakes from locking up before the front) and is available as a repo from inline tube. They have a web site. price about $59.00. If you are using stainless brake lines, the stainless is harder than original style lines, and needs to be tightened more to seal. Unless their is a problem with the seat in the valve os the flair in the line.
Good luck...

nlpirr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 04:37:25 PM »
thanks guys, I called the dealer I purchased from and was told that there should have been a coupler to link the two lines (front to back) and to exclude the valve. But, the coupler was not in the box of lines and was a slip from the manufacturer. This is good news for me for sure. You know when you have been working on the project for so long you just need to get it going agian and one little problem stops you weekend after weekend..

thats me..

NP

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 08:08:03 PM »
Did the manufacturer offer any logic for eliminating the proportioning valve and replacing it with a union coupler? Sounds like someone doesn't understand the brake system.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG