Author Topic: NEED HELP ASAP!!! Photos of 69 Hockey Stripe - Baldwin Motion stripe too?  (Read 17049 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
Hey guys, I am going to the paint shop tomorrow (Thursday, Oct 10) to lay out the stripes on my Camaro.  I have lots of decent photos, but cannot find any good close-ups of the hockey stripe on the door.  If anyone can send me a couple of good photos of this area, as well as maybe some measurements (ie: how wide at the fender/door area, how far from the back edge of the door, etc.), I would be forever in your debt. 

Also, since this is going to be a Baldwin Motion paint scheme, if anyone has any photos and/or measurements of the BM stripes, please forward to me.  Most of all, I am looking for pics of the BM stripe on the trunk lid and how it curves into the large painted stripe area. Any and all photos and measurements are welcome. 

Here is what I am going for. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CJVmY8ee44

Thanks for any and all help.  I promise to post photos next week when its all done.

Send pics and info to:

sdkar@bellsouth.net

Steve

sdkar

• View Profile
C'mon guys, surely someone has one close-up pic of the point of the stripe on the door.  I just need to see how it's pointed. 

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
SS Hockey stripe should be documented in the aim. Can't help with the Motion stripe. Not home so I can't tell you what page. Pretty sure I have sen it in there.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

sdkar

• View Profile
Most of all, I need just a single photo of the end of the hockey stick stripe on the door.  I know it has a unique point, and need to try and match it as close as possible.  If anyone can send a close-up of this one single item, I would be forever in your debt.

Thanks,

Steve

x77-69z28

• View Profile
Steve, just get it from stencils and stripes. The fenders are painted and the doors are decals. Their stripe kit is supposed to be dead on. Just let them know what color. Send me some pictures of your progress! If you search BING for 69 motion camaro stripe, the rally green one comes up with the stripe up the hood, over the roof and down the decklid. I couldn't find and specs, but it looks like 1/4" border stripe.
Buddy
69 Z/28 X77 burnished brown, 711 int 05A bought in 78
70 Z28 forrest green, green int, M40, bk vinyl roof PROJECT
99 SS hugger orange 6spd NO TTOPS bought new 1 of 54
15 z/28 Arctic white, A/C 505 HP #251

KevinW

• View Profile
Here was a decal under some primer on my car

And pay close attention to the marker light, engine callout and stripe, they must all be aligned with each other!  Anything that is off it very noticable!

My car is an Oct 68 build so that is the reason for the extra inch inder the seam.

This was a stencil and stripes full paint under clear version. Painter was really pissed about it, the join is right in the middle of the fender, difficult to get seamless!

Oaklyss

• View Profile
original paint, original stripes:

69 RSSS ZL-2 4 speed, mint unrestored 04A LA built-SOLD
1968 GTCS mint unrestored original paint
1972 AMX 401 4 speed, cowl induction, twin-grip, A/C, unrestored, original paint
1963 Oldsmobile Jetfire factory Turbo and Methanol injection, 4 speed, posi, 1 of 4 known to exist

sdkar

• View Profile
Got what I needed.  Thanks guys.

sdkar

• View Profile
Got the Baldwin Motion Stripes setup great.  However, I could not get the hockey stick stripe to look proper.  I got the door and fender part looking almost perfect, but could not get the curves of the front of the stripe to look quite right.  I kept making it look like the letter "L".  I finally gave up and ordered the stencil kit from Stencils & Stripes Unlimited.  I went with them because they sell the hockey stick stripe without the engine ID cutout, as I want simple the hockey stripe with no interruptions as I have no emblems on the car.

For everyone who helped, I thank you immensely.  Getting the sizes of the BM stripes was very helpful.  Also, I hope I got the curves on the rear stripe rigth, as there are no photos anywhere on the internet that I could find that showed how the striped curved toward the rear window. 

Here are some pics from this morning to show the progress so far.  What do you guys think?  What is the opinion on blacking out the tailpan and the rockers?

tom

• View Profile
    • Discount Internet Services
Black out tailpan may get lost behind the black Motion stripe. So far looks fantastic.
69 X11 Z21 L14 glide
looking for a 69 export model (KPH) speed
o

sdkar

• View Profile
Re: NEED HELP ASAP!!! Photos of 69 Hockey Stripe - Baldwin Motion stripe too?
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 05:11:26 AM »
Actually, it's not black, but charcoal gray metallic pearl.  Looks dull with this lighting, but in the sun...OMG.

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 11:34:40 PM »
I ordered the stencil kit from Stencils & Stripes Unlimited and I have to say, I am not impressed with the quality in the least.  First, the fender stencil part of the stripe is in three (3) pieces, instead of one stencil.  This means that midway along the fender, you have to either butt the stencil stripes together, or overlap them, which means there will be a small section of the stripe where paint bleeds over giving a less than optimal result.  Why this is not in one long piece is baffling to me.  Also, the die cut portion was not cut all the way thru on the stencil part from the curved part of the hockey stick on back.  It kept tearing the stencil every time I tried to pull away the portion of the stencil that is supposed to be removed.  I kept cutting where the die cut mark was and would pull back only to get about an inch or so, and tear the stencil at what should have been a die cut line.  This happened about 5 times before I just gave up and tore off the stencil altogether and simply free handed the stripe.  This was on both sides. 

Next, there was a big issue with the door part of the stencil.  I am not sure if it was a mistake, but it looks like I got the stencil for the DX1 stiriping for the hood instead as the stencil is about 18" longer than the door stencil.  Normally, this would not be a problem, as one would think they could simply cut the stencil to proper length so that the point of the stencil at the door handle is correct and the stencil gets cut off at the door edge for proper length.  However, because the stripe tapers down and gets smaller as it goes toward the rear of the car, the width of the stripe where the door ends at the fender is not the same as the stencil on the fender itself.  Again, this was an issue on both sides.  In order to fix this, I had to pull the stencil from the fender all the way back to the door handle and free hand it back to the fender in order to get the proper width that will meet up correctly with the fender stencil.  At this point, one must wonder why a stencil is being used, as everything that is supposed to be the benefit of using a stencil is lost, due to the fact I have to keep pulling the stencil back several feet and free handing it so it meets up correctly.

Finally, the top of the stencil along the fender that is supposed to be aligned with the top edge of the fender is not straight at all.  The top alignment cut of the stencil goes from 5/8" to 1/4" and back to 5/8" again.  If I had laid the stencil as instructed and used the top body line as a guide, my stripe would have been high at the front, dipped down in the middle, and raised back up toward the rear of the fender.  This would have looked terrible.  Again, what is the benefit of a stencil kit, if I constantly have to keep pulling back and free handing the tape line.  Of course, this last issue was not really a problem in the end, as even though I corrected this when laying out the stencil, the die cut line was not cut all the way thru and I had to remove the entire stencil and free hand the entire stripe with my own roll of 3m tape.   I could not use the fender stencil, as the stencil lacked of proper die cut would not allow me to peel back the area that was to be painted along the stripe portion of the stencil that was to remain in place. 

All in all, I would never again buy this kit from them.  The stencils are not properly die cut, are not the correct length, do not have the proper guide line at the top for following the edge of the fender, the directions are horrible, and the only measurements they give is from a copy of a copy of a copy of the assembly manual, which is to say, quite poor looking.   

What is really sad, is that I spoke to Ralph who works at Stencils & Stripes Unlimited, before I purchased and was assured by him I would receive nothing but a top quality stencil kit  This is NOT what I got.  Me and the painter ended up spending more time trying to lay out this stencil and making it work, only to end up doing most of it in free hand with a roll of 3M tape.  If we had simply free handed to entire thing instead of relying on the stencil kit,  I would have saved time and money.  The paint shop was supposed to paint the stripes and clear them in a single afternoon.  But due to the time it took to lay out the stencils, diiscover the defect in the stencil kit, remove the stencils, and free hand everything, there was no time to do the painting and clearing before the end of the work day.  So now my Camaro is in paint jail an extra day and will have to be painted and cleared tomorrow morning.  I have also been reminded by the paint shop owner that they had budgetted a certain amount of paint booth time in my estimate, as they planned to have my car out of the booth tonight and another car scheduled for the booth tomorrow morning, that will now not be happening.  I will have to compensate them for this additional timeas well as the additional time the paint shop spent correcting this mess with the stencils to begin with.   

At this point, I am going to call Ralph and request an entire refund and will gladly send him back my unused stencils, along with photos of my issues encountered and my free handed striping, to show his kit was not used entirely.  I hope they will make this right.  I will report back and let you guys know the outcome. 

hgger69

• Hugger orange rules!
    • View Profile
    • Håkans Motorsida
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 06:49:19 AM »
Looks fantastic this way!  ;)
But you don´t think it´s too much with the added hockey stripe as well?
I would have lhad it like this for a while and then maybe add the other stripe, just my cup of tea! :P
Regards,
Hakan from Sweden
1969 Camaro X44, hugger orange, 427 ZL-1 tribute, TH350, 4:10 12 bolt Posi, RPO Z87, black/white houndstooth, 14" steel wheels & dog dish, 02D built
www.hakansmotorsida.com

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 03:15:01 AM »
Steve, I am so sorry you were not happy with the stencil and stripes hockey stripe. My 67 bumble bee stripe was perfect. I hope they give a full refund. The car looks great.
Buddy

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, 05:47:00 PM »
In the end, I had to repull almost the entire stripe using my own tape and my car came out NICE.  I am sure this issue is not common, as Stencils & Stripes have been around quite a while and I have heard good things about them.  So, I have to chalk this up to an isolated incident, where there is some ultimate entity or force out there that has it in for me.  The number of "This almost never happens with our product/service" has been way to high to be just coincidence it seems to me.  I guess that's why car building is not for the faint of heart.  It is also why we can REALLY appreciate a when a Camaro is finished and the job comes out as good or better than hoped.  Non-car guys or guys who have never done any significant restoration work can NEVER understand what really goes into getting these things done and done right.   Only those that have traveled that road can truly appreciate the hardships of the journey and the reaching of that destination.

Anyway, I spoke to Ralph who asked for photos to be emailed to him.  He seemed to understand my situation, and will hopefull take care of it.  For me, a good company is all about the service.  Anyone can sell you something, but what makes a seller truly terrific, is what they do when problems occur.  If they do nothing to help, well, we have all been there.  But, if they step up and take ownership of the problem, and do whatever it takes to make things right, well, that is the action of a business that I will remain loyal to and gladly spread the word and recommend them to all that ask.  I Will keep you all posted. 

Anyway, the Camaro comes home tomorrow, (Friday 10/25), and from there the rest is up to me.  Now the real fun begins.

Charley

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 12:13:37 AM »
The factory paint on the fender had a break in the stripe so maybe that is why they did it.

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2013, 06:24:41 AM »
Here is a pic of it after the paint shop and going back together...

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2013, 04:17:16 PM »
Steve, it looks fantastic! Any resolution with stencils and stripes?
Buddy

sdkar

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 05:38:26 AM »
Ralph over at Stencils & Stripes took care of the situation and gave me a full refund.  I was sad to see that the stencils were not up to the quality I was expecting.  It was just as much as a surprise to Ralph as well, and I am sure he will look into it to make sure it doesn't happen to any future customers. 

I will say that even if the stencils were not defective, the directions should have been more descriptive as you really need to be quite familiar with the stripe itself to get them right.  Also, why they made the fender stencil two part instead of one continuous stencil is awkward to me.  I noticed that joining up the two stencils dead smack in the middle of the fender allowed for paint bleed out and had to be corrected prior to clearing.  Nothing too horrible, but a one piece stencil would have cured this.  Also, the DX1 hood stripe stencil being used as a door stencil makes little sense, and in the very least, they should tell you that you have to cut this stencil down to size and repull the tape to get the proper width to match up to the fender.  There is no mention of this anywhere, and if I simply installed the stencils as they were, the lines would have been off.  I guess they use the DX1 stencil as there really is no GM door stencil to copy from since originally, the door stripe was tape and the fender stripe was a stencil.  I little re-engineering of these would make these absolutely perfect. 

If you think buying the stencil kit means you don't have to worry about being precise, and all you have to do is stick them on and paint away, you would be wrong.  I know there are other stencil suppliers offering the same item and I wonder if they have improved on this or not.  I would like to hear from others who have bought this kit from other places. 

Again, Ralph did make it right in the end, but to be honest, having to discover this issue with my Camaro in base coat, all masked up sitting in the paint booth getting ready for stripes and clear, the last thing you want is issues with your stencils.  Hopefully, future stencils are improved. 

x77-69z28

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 03:58:49 PM »
Great to hear that Ralph did the right thing. In my dealings with him, I felt that he was a good guy and would stand behind his product. Let's see some more pics Steve. That car gives me goosebumps!

anything