Author Topic: Stolen car and trailer in Texas  (Read 6520 times)

CNorton

• View Profile
Stolen car and trailer in Texas
« on: November 06, 2013, 01:55:17 PM »
This post was picked up from another site.  I know Carl Battis, the owner, personally and can vouch for the fact that his car, his support equipment equipment, tools, and trailer were top-notch in preparation and appearance.  The car was setup for Stock Eliminator therefore the drive train components are typical to other competitive Stockers.  The drive train was an L78 configuration with an automatic transmission.  Carl and the rest of the Stock Eliminator community would be greatly appreciative of any leads.  Please be extra watchful at any swap meets and/or for Craig's List items that might be a part of this car.

Chuck Norton

This morning (11/3/13) at about 7:30 my 28' Vintage Outlaw trailer with my 1969 Camaro - Silver B/SA were stolen in Arlington Texas. A reward will be given to anybody with any information or details which leads to the recovery of the trailer and car.

The trailer had a NH plate - T 354028

The car is Cortez Silver and currently has no stickers on it.

I can be reached via email at nhrafan720@yahoo.com

Cell # is 714-858-1215

Thanks -

Carl Battis

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: Stolen car and trailer in Texas
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 02:33:50 PM »
Chuck, did the car still have its VIN (or the hidden VIN's)?

Ed

CNorton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 03:27:16 PM »
Ed,

I'm sure that it did but Carl was transferred out of Southern California a year-or-so ago and I have not talked with him lately.  His original post appeared on Classracer.com on Sunday.  I will e-mail him with the suggestion that he consider providing a bit more information.  Thanks for the suggestion

c

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 08:48:42 PM »
Please post any pictures of the car, trailer, and any other components that we would be able to identify if we saw them. thanks
1969 garnet red Z/28 46k mile unrestored X77
-Looking for 3192477 (front) spiral shocks 3192851 (rear)
-Looking for an original LOF soft ray windshield
-Looking for original Delco side post negative battery cable part # 6297651AV

CNorton

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 11:42:16 PM »
Many pictures can be found at:

http://www.autoimagery.com/gallery/v/2008_NHRA_National_Event_Photos/0846_Pomona_-_Auto_Club_Finals_-_Nov_2008/Stock/0846-02385.jpg.html

These pictures are most likely protected vigorously by copyright laws.  There are many from which to choose on the website.  Carl has stated that all decals have already been removed.  If a clean picture comes to me, I'll add it to this site.

c

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 12:52:30 AM »
If he sends you a pic and you are able to post it, more guys could see it easier. I checked your link very cool pic of it launching off the line. So a clean silver 69 with a front spoiler but no rear spoiler, cowl hood, it looks like weld wheels with hoosier pizza cutters in the front and slicks in the rear. it doesn't look like its been cut or mini tubbed so i would guess a 9" slick which fits with the car raised up a hair. Looks like it may have a cage? What did the car currently run? bottle or no bottle? a trailer pic would be helpful as well.

CNorton

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 02:36:48 AM »
Any pictures of the car or trailer I'm able to gather from Carl will be posted here.  I've reached out to him in search of more information.

FYI -

NHRA Stock Eliminator cars are limited to 9" tires w/no tubs or mini-tubs.  Roll bar is required in cars that run quicker than mid-12s, a full cage in cars that run quicker than 10.0 and in all convertibles.  The car must be able to pass a tear down inspection that includes removal of one head, carburetor, and (if required) the oil pan.  Parts such as head castings, manifolds, carburetors, cam (lift), pistons, etc., are held to factory-established specs.  In B/SA (Stock Automatic) Carl's '69 would be considered highly competitive if it is capable of 10.40 or better with no power adding support allowed.  It's all-motor, all the time with a 375 horsepower, 396 cubic inch motor.

c

CNorton

• View Profile
Re: Stolen car and trailer in Texas (update)
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 01:51:10 PM »
Carl Battis posted the following update to the drag racing community yesterday:

Nov 6, 2013 6:20CST Update

First off, I want to thank everybody who has called, emailed, texted etc. over the past few days to offer help or condolences. The drag racing community is special in that way - who else would loan parts to their next round opponent just because they are in need? Certainly not the norm in today's world - and it makes me proud to be a part of the drag racing community.

The trailer was recovered yesterday morning by the Grand Prairie, TX police department. I checked it out this morning at the impound lot - a bittersweet experience to be sure. All the good stuff is gone - my beautiful B/SA Camaro, the Honda Q3500 generator, a brand new transmission from Remac (thanks Leo - sorry I never got to run it!), a set of S&M lifters etc......you get the idea.

So now I have a trailer that needs a bunch of repair from the butchery inflicted to open it up and strip it - and no car to haul around or race. Detectives from several cities are coordinating the investigation as my car was taken by a well-known set of thieves who have been very busy in this area the last month. Let's hope they can find the car before too long.

In the meantime I have offered a substantial - no questions asked - $$ reward for the return of the car. I am hopeful that somebody knows somebody who knows somebody who can figure out a way to get the car out of hiding and returned in order to collect the reward. I just want to go racing again in my car.

The car (or its components) are still out there, somewhere.

BULLITT65

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 04:11:55 PM »
Great news, that sheds more light on the situation. Hopefully that leads to the car. I have had a car stolen, so I know the bad bad feeling that goes with it. I hope this turns out good for Carl.

anything