Author Topic: 1969 heater core removal w/ factory Air Conditioning...  (Read 9813 times)

Camaroon

• View Profile
1969 heater core removal w/ factory Air Conditioning...
« on: October 15, 2013, 08:27:44 PM »
Wow, that lower water hose connected to the heater core on my 1969 Camaro with air conditioning looks like a real beast to get to... I was hoping not to have to remove the inner fender.
Could someone take a look at the service manual to see if the procedure requires inner fender removal ?  Or, if anyone has tackled this fun (not !) job let me know any hints, or shortcuts/suggestions.  Other than the lower hose, the remainder of the project does not look too bad......or, am I kidding myself ?
 ???   

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
Re: 1969 heater core removal w/ factory Air Conditioning...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 03:19:19 PM »
it's much easier (possible?) if the inner fender is out of the way... :)   PS.  I once traded a '68 Z28 that I really liked because the heater core was leaking and I didn't want to disassemble that part of the car..

Via the internet, this link provides instructions on replacement of the heater core
http://www.worldwidecamaroclub.com/pdf/tech/heatcorerepl.pdf

09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 05:04:58 PM »
I think pulling the fenderwell is a must. Not only for the pain of a heater hose, but there are some fasteners down there for the heater box too. Be patient, the duct work under the dash may be fragile and the seals will likely crumble.
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20

Camaroon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 08:06:37 PM »
Thank you for the information and link. In the link, they say to cut a hole in the inner fender to gain access to the heater core hose connection(s). An obvious shortcut, which I will avoid.
Upon closer inspection, it appears removal, or at least moved somewhat out of the way, of the inner fender is a must. It looks like I'll need is to drill the pop rivets from the A/C hose bracket that is pop riveted to the inner fender. Then, after removal of all inner fender attachment bolts, I think I can just allow the inner fender to fall out and away from the engine compartment, and to rest on the top of the front right tire, while I work to remove the hoses from the core. Does this sound about right?

Petes L48

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 08:27:23 PM »
I think you can still download the 67 chassis service manual from here, not sure if 69 would be much different:
http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9433.0

My car has an access cut-out, from a PO or repair shop prior to 1986.  Must have been the thing to do back in the day.  I pulled my AC suitcase a few weeks ago to restore, it was a major PITA.  I still had to nearly remove the fender to get to all the box fasteners.  Don't have the kids around when you do this ;D.  If you pull the "suitcase", you'll need the strip caulking or whatever it's called to reseal the box.  You can usually get this from a local jobber.  As JK mentioned, you will likely need to replace other old seals as well.  Take your time, you won't want to go back in a second time.