Author Topic: What Would You Do?  (Read 18162 times)

bertfam

• View Profile
Re: What Would You Do?
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2011, 04:13:48 PM »
When I put it back together, I assume the shifter gets bolted into place and then the stick gets put back in from the top?

Yep. If you have a console you have to remove the upper shifter plate and the boot to gain access, but after that it's not that hard to do.

Ed

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2011, 07:40:03 PM »
To remove the bayonet handle you will need a piece of thin steel to slide down the sides of the handle to release the clip.
I usually use 2 pieces of STEEL BANDING  3/4" wide 4-5" long. shove one down each side and pull the handle up and out.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

bertfam

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 11:52:25 PM »
I just rebuilt mine this weekend and as I stated above, it's very easy to do. However, PLEASE be very careful of the thin shim. You can cut yourself very easily if you're not careful (don't ask how I know).

Ed

Vince

• View Profile
Transmission gets locked in gear
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2013, 01:02:25 AM »
Twice now in the past 2 years my 1969 Z/28 with a M-21 trans (non-original) has after coming to a stop at a stop sign and then trying to put it into first gear to pull away has had the tranny jam in a gear, usually second, or stay in neutral without being able to put it into any gear.  The shifter handle will just freeze up and not be able to be moved at all.  I've had to have it towed both times.  The first time the transmission shop could find nothing wrong with it (it was stuck in second gear when it went into their shop they stated); they cleaned the shift rods, lubed them and everything was fine until this past Wed. when the same thing happened again.  It is currently in the same shop.  I haven't heard back from them yet.  I've owned this Z for 17 years and have had no problem with the trans prior to this first incident in 2011 and now again this week.  Any ideas?  I posted about this problem back in probably around Sept., 2011 but can't find my original post asking about this problem.  Thank you in advance for any advice, ideas, fixes, etc. 

Vince

• View Profile
What Would You Do?
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2013, 01:12:40 AM »
OK, I found my original thread.  It was under the title What Would You Do?  Sounds like I need a shifter and or linkages rebuild? 

69Z28

• 69 X33D80 Z28
    • View Profile
Re: Transmission gets locked in gear
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2013, 01:42:21 AM »
Could the problem be inside the trans?
GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver Z28 X33 D80

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2013, 04:19:56 AM »
Could be wear or broken "dogs" in the syncro sleeve area - there are three of the little alignment dogs riding in each sleeve, a break or advanced wear could cause them to misalign enough to hang it in gear. Does sound more like an internal problem rather than a shifter problem. Did the shop tell you they managed to free it up by removing the shift rods and manually shifting the gear from the selector back to neutral ? If they did, it might be a shifter problem. In any case, try rebuilding the shifter first, as it's cheaper to do, or you're doomed to pull the thing and go through it to isolate the worn/broken parts.

I had my M21 lose the ability to go into reverse one day long ago - I limped into the station I worked at, pulled the trans and found the problem when I pulled the tailshaft housing off - turned out the spring steel shim (keeper) holding the speedometer gear in place on the mainshaft had snapped, and lodged under the selector preventing the reverse gear from moving - I replaced it, stuck it back together, and 38 years later it's still in one piece. Muncie's finest, still one of the best ever four speed transmissions in my opinion.

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

69pace

• View Profile
    • TeamCamaro - Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2013, 03:35:32 AM »
Vince - So you have not rebuilt the shifter as suggested in this thread back in 2011?
That is where I would start.
Common for them to jam or lock out in 1-2 or miss 2nd when the old rubber bushings rot or the carrier gets sloppy.
Rebuild kits are about 100 bucks or you can send it to Hurst to be rebuilt. Also I suggest using the pit pack bushings that are steel or the hardened steel versions as the original rubber style or the later plastic ones are just bad news all the way around.

Your trans has been serviced a few times and if there was something wrong with the indents or the forks that would have been found if it is a good shop.

I've been in your shoes a couple times in the past 30 years. Always at night in less then "hey lets get underneath and see whats up" conditions.
I have been able to set it straight and get home by shutting down and going through the following pattern:

Start by learning how to double clutch.
Since you won't be spinning engine power you need to have some slight movement on the trans without grinding your gear box to scrap under engine power. 
The double clutching moves the spindle just enough to work out the jam. So clutch in, clutch out, then clutch in and SLOWLY try to pull her into neutral gate.
This may not happen the first few times so be patient and slowly move through the gates, brute force is not necessary, required or desired.

Once in neutral clutch out, then clutch in, clutch out clutch into reverse since reverse can actually be thrown while you are actually in 1-2 or 3-4 since there is no indent to lock-out for reverse in the tail like there is on 1-2 3-4 under the cover plate. If the 1-2 indent lock-out failed you would hear grinding into reverse if you were under engine power.

Once in reverse double clutch go neutral again then double clutch first, double clutch back to neutral then take a deep breath make peace with your God and double clutch second. If she grabs second you are more then likely clear of the jam. You can put her back in neutral, start it up and slowly clutch out and if you go nowhere you are clear and in neutral. Slowly crawl forward with first, then neutral, then backward in reverse, then neutral. Head home. Just be slow and steady shifting home cause the misalignment will still exist and could hit you at any 2nd gear shift you make.  Worse time I had it was about 40 minutes of footwork before she cleared.

If the jam doesn't clear the first sequence continue the pattern double clutch to third, back to neutral then up to fourth then back to neutral then reverse. Then start the sequence all over again. Eventually she will clear the jam and you can get home unless it is truly a mechanical failure.

The first time I ran into this I discovered that I had a mix of OEM factory Hurst Comp plus and Hurst Aftermarket Comp plus rods, levers and mount. The rubber bushings were also like goo. There is a difference between the factory hardware and mount and what Hurst sold as aftermarket conversion units under the Competition Plus name and you need the right set for your shifter. Once I set that straight I neglected to maintain the system and a loose lower mount bolt and sloppy bushings caused another incident a few years later when the plastic bushings cracked and bound 2nd up again.

The steel bushings, good lock washers on the lower mounting bolt and regular inspections are my defense against another incident.
1969 Z-11 350/300 with 4 Speed
TeamCamaro - Moderator

Vince

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 11:33:54 PM »
Thanks for your input and answers, guys.  When one knows as little as I do mechanically, your knowledge is greatly appreciated.