Author Topic: Seatbelts from other vehicles adapted to Camaro?  (Read 4157 times)

sdkar

• View Profile
Seatbelts from other vehicles adapted to Camaro?
« on: October 07, 2013, 04:17:58 PM »
Has anyone properly adapted a shoulder harness seatbelt from another vehicle into a first gen Camaro?

Can a 2nd gen Camaro seatbelt bolt up to the ceiling (even with a little modification) and the plastic cover used to hide it.  Has anyone done this and how does it look?

What about from an entirely different vehicle?  Most of the newer cars have the seatbelt (roller/actuator) are mounted on a pillar, and the seatbelt goes up toward the ceiling, wraps around some pulley type arm, then comes down to bolt onto the floor or the side of the seat.  Where can we mount the roller so that the pendulum still works properly?  I was thinking under the seat, but this throws the angle off and the seatbelt stays locked up. 

I do not want to spend the hundreds of dollars for the morris setup when I have access to hundreds of late model vehicles from all the junkyards in my area, and Ican get just about any set for $10.  Surely I can make something work.  So, has anyone had any success with a particular model or adaptation process? 

vtfb68

• View Profile
Re: Seatbelts from other vehicles adapted to Camaro?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 07:27:32 PM »
  I may be missing something here but shoulder seatbelts came standard in later 68's and 69 hardtops.
    VT
68 05C LA RS/SS U2 712 L34 M21 BR
68 08E LA RS Y2 749 L30 M35
67 11B LA  RS/SS M-1 797-Z L48 M21  Convertible

sdkar

• View Profile
Re: Seatbelts from other vehicles adapted to Camaro?
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 08:08:01 PM »
Not the factory setup for a 69.  I am looking to find if anyone has installed a shoulder belt setup from another vehicle, for example, from a second gen (1970 - 1981) Camaro or Firebird.  I would think that a second gen seatbelt with the retractor on the ceiling and the plastic cover would look nice, and not out of place, and work better than what they had in 69.  Not to mention, I can find a 2nd gen seatbelt setup easier and at a much better price.  And not just from another Camaro, but ANY vehicle of ANY year that someone has successfully installed. 

anything