Author Topic: Interior Door Panels  (Read 9422 times)

TonyHuntimerRaceHome

• View Profile
Interior Door Panels
« on: April 16, 2009, 01:21:40 AM »
Who makes the best quality reproduction interior door panels?  Standard and Custom.  Does anyone make them complete...with the upper window felt strips stapled...instead of riveted?

Thanks,
Tony Huntimer

RamAirDave

• View Profile
    • TheMuscleCarGuys.com
Re: Interior Door Panels
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 03:51:54 AM »
Most of the currently-available repo interior stuff leaves a lot to be desired.

But thankfully www.legendaryautointeriors.com is getting into the 1st gen Camaros.  Everything I've seen/used from them has been nice, I would assume their new Camaro parts will be just as nice.
"Build them how the designers and engineers envisioned them to be"

www.TheMuscleCarGuys.com

jmcbeth

• 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 01:45:01 AM »
It's been a while since anyone posted about the best source for pre-assembled interior door panels. I see that Lgendary Auto Interiors sells them. So does Rick's. Anyone have a recommendation for the best reproduction?

Thanks!
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 05:49:25 PM »
If you want staples you will probably have to install them yourself.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

scoop

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 01:36:27 AM »
I sent my cores to Legendary and they came back awesome and they are stapled.  Scoop

ban617

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 01:56:39 AM »
   You sent the metal tops to them? Standard door panels? What kinda price? Thanks

scoop

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 01:27:19 AM »
Yes I sent in the metal tops. I cannot find my receipt right now but they will give you a price over the phone. I am sending pictures to show they have the correct staples and the correct chamfered edging on the ribbing in the door panel designs. The PUI and other brands I looked at all had rounded edges on the designs in the panels.  If you need any other info let me know.  Good Luck.  Scoop

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 09:57:03 AM »
  I used PUI  pre-assembled panels on my '68. They're good quality but you'll have to cut out for the window cranks and punch holes for the lower screws. Also, the bright trim pieces are incorrect. if you want the factory look you'll have to reuse your old trim strips because the PUI pieces are snipped off on the ends--they are not molded and rounded like the factory pieces. They also do not come with the stick-on Camaro emblems--you'll have to reuse yours or buy some repro emblems. They do come with the correct rounded fuzzy window seals, however. Good luck!
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

jmcbeth

• 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 01:49:14 AM »
Thanks, guys. Very helpful information!
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

JKZ27

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 02:46:49 PM »
I just recently got the unassembled door and rear panels from Legendary and they are very nice.(68 htp standard) You do have to cut the holes for the window cranks and door handles but the board is punched pretty acurate. The holes at the bottom of the door panels for the screws were close but I didn't rely on them. The holes for the panel clips worked very nicely and lined up well. After assembling these panels though, and seeing Scoop's pics, I would almost recommend buying assembled panels or sending out what you have. Attatching the metal tops to the board is tricky because any fasteners tend to show through the vinyl. I used aluminum semi-tubular rivets and ground the heads down. Also, this is the point where I first noticed the top part of the vinyl was a separate piece from the rest of the panel and the new unassembled panels come with excess vinyl at the top where you can either glue it over the metal top and leave it all as one piece, or trim it off and fasten it under the top chrome like the original. I opted to trim and make it a separate piece. My interior had been customized a bit in the late 70s so I relied on my un-touched 69 standard for reference. I was not able to come up with any staples for the weatherstrips either so I went with regular rivets. I fastened the rest of the chrome and emblems using 3M .030" emblem tape and adesion promoter. Everything came out nice but it's a lot of work.

John
John
69 RS/SS Cortez Silver, L48 MC1
68 RS Ash/Ivy Gold 327EFI M20