Author Topic: First attempt at Zinc Plating  (Read 34645 times)

cook_dw

• View Profile
First attempt at Zinc Plating
« on: October 04, 2013, 12:12:28 AM »
Well I finally got around to try out my zinc plating process.  Everything seems to have gone ok for the first prelim run.  I believe once I get more parts and the process down I think these parts will come out great.  Figured I would try it out on a broken clamp.  I only worked on the outer ring portion of the clamp and nothing else.  I also think once I blast these parts they will take better.

Before

After first dip.

After third dip and scrubbing.

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: First attempt at Zinc Plating
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 01:40:18 AM »
Changed around my settings & I like this one even better..  Much cleaner & uniform.  

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 01:59:28 AM »
that's not bad Darrel..     How much is your $$ and time investment so far?  :)
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 12:01:12 PM »
Its not too bad.  Once I get this process down if anyone wants me to do some parts for them just pm me and we can go from there.   ;D

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 11:37:32 PM »
Darrel your work looks good. I have found a real fine SS brush works well to even out the finish on some parts great for screws. 0000 steel wool works also. It is nice to plate at home so you can clean & plate as needed. George

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 05:27:57 PM »
And the chromate conversion.

George, thanks for the tips.  I'm really starting to enjoy this.

z28z11

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 02:33:39 AM »
Not bad - in fact, not bad at all. Did you bead the chromate version ? I bet if you top coated with clear it would be dynamite. Probably last forever, too. Great job -

Regards,
Steve
1968 Z28 M21/U17 BRG/W 1967 Chevy ll Nova SS 
1969 Z28 X77/M20/VE3 LeMans/W
1969 L78 X66/N66 Cortez/BVT
1969 Z11 L48/M35/C60/C06  1949 3100 5wd 235/6

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 12:17:43 PM »
Not bad - in fact, not bad at all. Did you bead the chromate version ? I bet if you top coated with clear it would be dynamite. Probably last forever, too. Great job -

Regards,
Steve

Thanks!!  I guess it is sorta a bead process.  I havent tried it with these parts yet but in the past when I have cleared chromate parts it tends to wash out the rainbow coloring.  It may have been my process.  Ill try to clear this clamp and see what it looks like after.

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 02:21:48 PM »
Darrel, I would think the clear would really change the finish. I try to polish the Zinc plating as much as possible before the chromate or Yellow cad dip. That should give you a brighter finish.Try to dip it for a shorter time blow dry and check the results. Ten seconds plus or minus really changes the color. Here are a couple pictures of some AC fittings I restored in this link.  http://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php?topic=9859.msg77826#msg77826  George.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
Like I said my past experiences turned the chromate finish to just a gold finish after clearing.  That was my first attempt with the conversion process.  I hope to get a few other pieces finished before this weekend.  Ill post them up once I am finished.  Since that piece I showed of the clamp I do not allow the part to soak any longer than 15 secs..  Those AC fittings look great btw.  How many times do you strike your parts in the zinc bath?

scoop

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 01:12:53 AM »
This looks really good.  Did you use some kind of kit?  Thanks, Scoop

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 02:07:49 AM »
Thanks!!  Nope just made up the process after reading several websites & how-to's.. 

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 02:24:07 AM »
Nice job...that looks great!

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 11:21:01 AM »
How many times do you strike your parts in the zinc bath?
Just once, but sometimes I have to plate for a longer time frame to get good coverage. George

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 03:44:19 AM »
That looks like a CASWELL plating job to me.
http://www.caswellplating.com/kits/index.html
I purchased a kit in 2000 and built a variable power supply. I found the finish difficult to obtain (I lacked the necessary brighteners) and got a  dull gray finish. A Lot of the problem can be in your prep. AVOID sandblasting of any kind. You need to clean and polish the surface to obtain a smooth fresh plated part.
Your progress looks good.

I gave up and found a Local Plater who plates the equivalent of a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood part's for 130$ per lot near a local airplane manufacture in North Seattle.

Jim
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

NoYenko

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 11:52:56 AM »
Caswell plating kit is what I use also. Jim is correct if you sandblast the part it will rough up the surface too much. I glass bead all my parts with fine grade grit.
Having the ability to be able to plate just a portion of a part I find very helpful like the horn relay base and contacts. I really enjoy all the different plating process's.
The finish I would say looks comparable to the NOS relay. George

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 12:02:29 PM »
My process is not a Caswell kit.  ;)

Im too cheap to buy a kit and I enjoy trying to figure out my own way of doing things.  With the help of the internet of course.   ;D

KurtS

• CRG Coordinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2013, 05:15:07 AM »
Kurt S
CRG

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2013, 12:30:11 PM »
Kurt, I actually posted that link a month or so back in another thread.  That is the same style setup as I am using.  Great info there.  I pretty much copied his setup  with very minor changes.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2013, 06:03:53 PM »
After a week off for home improvements   ::)   and cleaning up the garage due to the improvements I got back to doing a little plating..  I also polished the parts like Jim suggested.

Heres before

After cleaning

Then plating finished

janobyte

• Before it was called Day 2 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2013, 07:16:11 PM »
WOW ,looks like you might have a little business going ! When I get to the sub frame I'll give you a holler !   caliper brackets ,dust shields ,horn relay
68 Z/28  born with: 302, drive line, etc..

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2013, 08:15:37 PM »
Ok sounds good just let me know !!  :-)

scoop

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2013, 01:20:42 AM »
Those look great Darrell.  Are you interested in doing my seat parts?  Thanks, Scoop

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2013, 01:20:18 AM »
This piece was rough..  It took a lot of wet sanding to get the metal smooth..

Before:

After & still drying:

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2013, 10:23:52 PM »
After making my last post I was just not happy with the results of the master cylinder cap...  I guess you can chaulk it up to the OCD in me..  So over the past couple of days off and on I redone the piece to the point when I was satisfied.. 

After doing a little metal work on the cap..

Compared to the one I have one the 67 now..

Installed on the spare master cylinder..

Next will be the booster once I order more chemicals and setup a new larger container..

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2013, 02:31:32 AM »
Looks great ,good for you ,will be sending my brackets out this week---steve.  Than post the finished product ,prior already online.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2013, 01:06:45 PM »
Ok sounds good..

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2013, 01:30:07 PM »
Shipping out tomorrow--FedEx , I'll email you the prior pics so you can do before/after. I'm going to start playing with phosphate next weekend---my fasteners. Palmetto appears to be the way to go.

169INDY

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2013, 04:17:59 AM »
Great work, this makes me want to activate my tanks again.
THis is a wonderful example of DIY, step AWAY from the Eastwood plating in a spray can guys.

Your OCD is a good thing when you produce results like that.

Cheers,

Jim
Jim
68 SS/RS L35 Th-400 LOS
69 Pace Car L48 Th-350 LOS
68 Z28 M21 LOS

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 02:41:00 PM »
 The Eastwood spray finishes make a car restoration look cheap, IMO.
Aside from chrome, home plating for zinc and phosphates (Parkerize) is very easy and affordable for DIY.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2013, 03:36:04 PM »
Do the colors remain uniform during phosphate coating ? When my hood hinges came out of the blast cabinet, noticed OE color varied. Never any rust on them , just paint and undercoat overspray. Varies from dark to light gray. Springs light gray throughout. If  that's the way they are suppose to look, I'm leaving alone--but I don't know. Also is it a one time use with chemicals, once heated ? 

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2013, 12:30:17 AM »
  Hi Janobyte,

Surface prep is THE most important factor in the outcome of the final finish with phosphate. Just like when painting a car.
I will wash a part in a degreaser first, sand or glass bead it, another round of degreaser, then I will put the parts in a semi-boiling water pre bath to float off any remaining oils (rarely none at this stage) then directly to the phosphate solution that has been preheated to 180-190 degrees. After the fizzle slows or stops or if I feel there is enough deposited then I remove the parts and run them through another clean water rinse. Quickly dry and then right to the Dri-Touch oil treatment.
  If you have any oil on the parts then it will show as blotches.
Yes, you can reuse the solution over many times until it is exhausted. I store it in a plastic container when not in use. Use a stainless steel container to heat the phosphate solution. I recommend either a copper bottom or a metal diffuser under the pot to avoid any hot spots that can lead to scale buildup at the bottom.
  The nice thing about a DIY is you save money and there is always that part you missed and now you can treat it at home. I use a Coleman camper burner in the shed so as not to bring the fumes in the house. I got the SS pots at a dollar store and also use stainless steel baskets to hold the small parts for the bath.
Try it. I think you will be pleasantly surprised how easy it is.

Mike

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2013, 01:39:27 AM »
  Hi Janobyte,

Surface prep is THE most important factor in the outcome of the final finish with phosphate. Just like when painting a car.
I will wash a part in a degreaser first, sand or glass bead it, another round of degreaser, then I will put the parts in a semi-boiling water pre bath to float off any remaining oils (rarely none at this stage) then directly to the phosphate solution that has been preheated to 180-190 degrees. After the fizzle slows or stops or if I feel there is enough deposited then I remove the parts and run them through another clean water rinse. Quickly dry and then right to the Dri-Touch oil treatment.
  If you have any oil on the parts then it will show as blotches.
Yes, you can reuse the solution over many times until it is exhausted. I store it in a plastic container when not in use. Use a stainless steel container to heat the phosphate solution. I recommend either a copper bottom or a metal diffuser under the pot to avoid any hot spots that can lead to scale buildup at the bottom.
  The nice thing about a DIY is you save money and there is always that part you missed and now you can treat it at home. I use a Coleman camper burner in the shed so as not to bring the fumes in the house. I got the SS pots at a dollar store and also use stainless steel baskets to hold the small parts for the bath.
Try it. I think you will be pleasantly surprised how easy it is.

Mike
Thanks, I'm going to start this weekend following above-verbatim.

Camarocards

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2013, 02:01:06 AM »
I just completed my lower hood latch assembly using the Palmetto phosphate. I'm very pleased with the results.
Bob
'68 SS L35 01D

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2013, 02:47:59 AM »
 That looks great, Bob. After a few years it will start to turn to a nice greenish/gray hue.
What did you use for a container?
How did you finish the latch return spring?

Mike

Camarocards

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2013, 04:26:41 AM »
Thanks Mike. It took me a while to find a big enough container but believe it or not I finally found a 21 quart stock pot at Walmart for $22 that was just big enough to handle the whole latch assembly. It has a ceramic type finish which is important since you don't want to use a container that will wind up being coated with the phosphating solution (e.g. galvanized steel or aluminum). With a container this size just be prepared for a long heat up time (about 30 minutes) to bring it up to the proper phosphating temperature (approx. 200 degrees F).

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Granite-Ware-21-qt-Stock-Pot-with-Lid/17165786

I used the Palmetto zinc phosphate solution on the assembly which gives it the proper gray appearance. For the two springs located on each side of the assembly I used the Palmetto manganese phosphate solution which results in a more darker finish, almost black in appearance. I'll try to snap a few pictures tomorrow to show you the end result.

Now if I can only find a big enough container to phosphate the hood spring assembly I'll be a happy guy.  ;D
Bob
'68 SS L35 01D

Camarocards

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2013, 03:02:06 AM »
Mike - Just a quick follow up from my previous post. Attached are a couple of pictures of the springs that I used the manganese phosphate on. As you can see, the manganese solution produces a slighter darker finish.
Bob
'68 SS L35 01D

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2013, 03:08:38 AM »
 That looks very good, Bob. The springs are a nice touch to show the details.
Is that pot you use large enough to hold a Z-bar? I may go to the store and get the same one if it looks like it will work for that.

Thanks!
Mike

Camarocards

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2013, 03:27:05 AM »
Mike - I don't think it'll be big enough for the Z-Bar. The pot measures 9 inches deep by 13 inches wide. This is the problem I'm having with the hood spring assembly. I haven't found a pot large enough to handle them unless you pay an arm and a leg for a large stainless steel one. For the price you'd pay for a pot that size it would be cheaper to send the part out phosphating. I thought about getting an immersion heater and using a heavy plastic type container but the cost of an immersion heater that will go up to 200 degree F also gets very pricey.
Bob
'68 SS L35 01D

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2013, 08:53:42 PM »
The Eastwood spray finishes make a car restoration look cheap, IMO.
Aside from chrome, home plating for zinc and phosphates (Parkerize) is very easy and affordable for DIY.

Mike

Also unacceptable with the Mustang crowd (points deducted )

Same issue with the Z bar ,I'm assuming you are talking about the RS hood release, also hinges are tall--may have figured it out. Looking around my shop today right in front of me is a SS large square pan ( 6-8 " deep ,didn't measure) I use under engines when they are on the stand. The base for a turkey fryer would work perfect underneath and kicks the BTU's to raise the temp. It can be turned down once 200 degrees achieved. Point being ,alternatives vs. tall round pans. Emailed the owner of Palmetto yesterday questioning if parts can be finished in 2 steps also.

May be a mute point because I'm still debating on refinishing them at all and just oiling . Mines not 100% uniform from the factory, but VGC. I'm really excited about doing the small parts--next week. Shooting the underneath of my F250 with POR 1st. Moving at a snails pace with the Z ,but progress none the less.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2013, 09:29:06 PM »
 The Z-bar I meant was for the clutch.
My hood hinges and RS hood striker w/large handle were done in the 80's and still look great though they now have the olive green/gray appearance which the phosphate coating will change to after a few years. The Z-bar and clutch push rod didn't survive as well so I'm looking to redo that.

Speaking to my friend, he said he knew someone who used an old rectangular stainless steel kitchen sink he found in someones trash and used that for larger parts. He must have made some sort of plug for the drain but the idea sure sounds good and not as costly.
Time to travel around the neighborhood on recycling day!  ;D

Mike

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2013, 09:49:55 PM »
Ahh , wasn't thinking in that area  :) Glad you mentioned it because while the kettles cooking..

68camaroz28

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2013, 12:03:03 AM »
Mike - Just a quick follow up from my previous post. Attached are a couple of pictures of the springs that I used the manganese phosphate on. As you can see, the manganese solution produces a slighter darker finish.
That works well in giving the attaching screws/bolts a little different look as different suppliers had different shades of phosphate to a degree.  As you have found different materials react differently to outcome in color/shade but I try to work that in whenever possible so things do NOT look the same shade. :) Nice work Bob........
Chick
68 Z/28 NOR 01B Orig motor/trans/rear
69 Z/28 NOR 07A Orig Block & GM Cross-ram/carbs
69 L34 Rest. Nova Father/Son Car
69 L78 Surv Nova Purch 4/69 31K miles
67 L89 Corv Tribute
68 Corv 427/400 Orig motor
07 Corv Z06
R 68Z build- http://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=182584

janobyte

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2013, 03:36:59 PM »
Product came in yesterday from Palmetto , included was a page each of detailed instruction ,adding what has been tried and proven by you guys, I'm really looking forward to start this weekend with some bolts first.

What also arrived yesterday were my parts from "Red Gorilla Restorations" even mailed some change back ! They look great , better than the pics. Even more important to me is another guy out there who not only can be trusted with your irreplaceable parts ,but treats them with the same detail as his own---speaks volumes. I've followed this site many years( almost since it's inception" before becoming active . I've noticed a pattern of the same people--always positive and quick to offer help. Sending my parts out to Darrell was sort of like "paying it forward" good luck in your endeavors ,use me as a reference.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2013, 12:00:16 AM »
Product came in yesterday from Palmetto , included was a page each of detailed instruction ,adding what has been tried and proven by you guys, I'm really looking forward to start this weekend with some bolts first.

What also arrived yesterday were my parts from "Red Gorilla Restorations" even mailed some change back ! They look great , better than the pics. Even more important to me is another guy out there who not only can be trusted with your irreplaceable parts ,but treats them with the same detail as his own---speaks volumes. I've followed this site many years( almost since it's inception" before becoming active . I've noticed a pattern of the same people--always positive and quick to offer help. Sending my parts out to Darrell was sort of like "paying it forward" good luck in your endeavors ,use me as a reference.

I truly enjoy helping others with their restorations.  It gives me pride to say that I was responsible for something on a beautiful car.  I guess it was something my father implanted in me.  Thank you for giving me the opportunity to do work on your Z. 

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2013, 02:55:13 AM »
RED GORILLA Restorations eh?   There must be a story there..  :)

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2013, 01:14:40 PM »
Not really..  The fiancee and I were sitting here one night (long before any plating) and I told her I wanted to own a business one day but I didnt know what to call it..  She said; "Well you look like a big angry redhead gorilla...  You should call it red gorilla restorations.."  And there you have it..  Something we both thought was funny and it had a good ring to it..  RGR for short.   ;D

So when I made out a receipt for Steve I went ahead and put that on there and figured I would give it a try as something on the side and see where it goes.  If it fizzles out then no harm.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2013, 01:46:31 PM »
I just knew there had to be a story... :)   I like it.. and we found out what your wife thinks of you..   J/K... :)

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2013, 03:47:59 PM »
I just knew there had to be a story... :)   I like it.. and we found out what your wife thinks of you..   J/K... :)

Yeah apparently she likes big ugly gorillas..  lol

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2013, 03:50:49 PM »
Good response!   ;D  ::)

anything