Author Topic: Did 67 door skin edges have seam sealer?  (Read 4199 times)

Mike S

• View Profile
Did 67 door skin edges have seam sealer?
« on: October 03, 2013, 04:20:27 PM »
   I'm at the stage of readying the car for final primer and was getting the door skin folded edge ready to seam seal. Normally I look at the unrestored '67 I have to get what is correct for finishing but was surprised to see no seam sealer on either door along the folded edge. The skins on the car I am working now have been replaced and I don't remember if there was sealer or not because I assumed the other '67 provided the answer. I looked at a few Camaros in my area and they to have had the skins replaced and sealer applied. The difference between the two '67s I have is one is NOR (being restored again) and the original is LOS (original).
It will be more for visual function because I used the 3M epoxy adhesive to mount the skins and put enough in to flow out the edges when rolled so I know it is sealed inside. I searched the CRG archives but could not find a conclusive answer.

Thank you,
Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Sauron327

• View Profile
Re: Did 67 door skin edges have seam sealer?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 12:18:11 AM »
No sealer on any original doors I have or had. Sealer may be applied cleanly and minimally, leaving only enough to seal the hem. After paint it would not be detectable. Your use of adhesive would eliminate this step if sqeeze out provided full coverage. Adhesive prevents the usual corrosion. Without it, other hem rust prevention measures are needed. I'd still use cavity wax even with adhesive, just like all cavities.

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 06:27:57 AM »
 Thank you, Sauron. The epoxy can out the edges when the seams were folded. I was sort of expecting to see the usual factory seam sealer slop on the door.
I'm glad it wasn't used because I like the clean look. I'll look at getting the cavity wax too.

Thanks,
Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Sauron327

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 10:37:52 AM »
3M Rust Fighter I is a cavity wax. SEM and Transtar have it too. Wurth also makes good products. You can buy a 3M 3 foot application wand for a Schutz gun to do the rockers.

plumL78

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 09:19:53 PM »
Sauron is right Maybe a little solvent to smooth it out and they will look great