CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 20, 2014, 01:53:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
103272 Posts in 12153 Topics by 4689 Members
Latest Member: merle
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Maintenance
| | |-+  maintaining doors...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]  All Print
Author Topic: maintaining doors...  (Read 2797 times)
Sauron327

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2013, 01:30:17 PM »

Cars were not painted with glass installed. It makes no sense in painting and assembly procedure. They would have to mask the windows. Overspray on parts from poor masking is common during repaints. Many just papered off the windows and do not worry about overspray that the felts will hide when installed. Some don't even take the felts off. Big diifference in restoration painting and collision repairs.
69Z28-RS

owner since '76

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2013, 01:35:49 PM »

Cars were not painted with glass installed. It makes no sense in painting procedure. They would have to mask the windows. Overspray on parts from poor masking is common during repaints. Many just papered off the windows and did not worry about overspray that the felts will hide when installed. Some don't even take the felts off. Big diifference in restoration painting and collision repairs.

I think it's obvious that the glass would not be installed, as that would have required additional tasks to clean up, but the small amount of paint that went thru the inner panel holes would not affect the 'back side' of the inner mechanisms.  it's too bad we don't have access to the Fisher body procedures used (for any year) as I doubt they changed this sort of thing over the years.

My question had to do with the guides, channels, door latch, etc.   There was paint on my door latch, and some on the back (interior) side of the guides/tracks (corresponding to the holes in the interior of the door, making it seem that the internals were installed prior to paint, so when the door inner side got painted (lightly), some of the paint went thru the holes to the internal parts.   There was NO overspray on the glass or the parts attached to the glass.

Gary W.  /  69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood all tint
69 Corvette convertible, silver/black 350 hp,
60 Corvette white/red, 72 Corvette coupe (2), 
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55 Nomad, '57 Nomad, '57 B/A Sedan
Sauron327

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2013, 02:19:54 PM »

If a door is jambed with tracks installed, paint would be on retaining bolts. It is possible that the door was reshot before it was delivered to the customer. Without seeing it it's hard to tell. Many new cars on a dealer lot are repaired due to transport damage. The customer is not told, nor would they know. That $45K new car someone just bought may have had it's bumper repaired before they even signed the papers.
janobyte

1968 z/28

bajcer@msn.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2013, 05:31:19 PM »

be patient, I'll post some pics for you tomorrow,68 mind you.
JohnZ
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 01:40:29 PM »

it's too bad we don't have access to the Fisher body procedures used (for any year) as I doubt they changed this sort of thing over the years.

Fisher Body processes were highly standardized across car lines and body styles; other than door latches, any part inside the door that wasn't welded was installed in the Trim Shop, after Paint.

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG
firstgenaddict

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2013, 01:21:03 PM »

First I degrease everything then evaporust or Safest rust remover to remove the oxidation then boeshield, followed by correct lubrication according to the Fisher Manual.
I have not had issues with my windows rolling up with ease nor latches sticking etc.

Here are the set I recently refurbished from the 69 X66 conv I am currently painting, BTW this car had 2 repaints and nothing on the window mechanisms.

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"

Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://picasaweb.google.com/112392262205377424364/1969_Z28_Restoration
SgtHawkUSMC

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2014, 10:12:20 AM »

Here are a few more door pics that might help... from my 69 SS396 I have more if you need to see something specific.

Hawk
69 SS396 L34 M21 BS Hugger Orange
firstgenaddict

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2014, 01:24:18 PM »

door has had paint work at some point...

Biggest tell is...
The felt guides screwed (with little countersunk phillips head screws) to the outside of the door are completely covered in orange paint...

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"

Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://picasaweb.google.com/112392262205377424364/1969_Z28_Restoration
SgtHawkUSMC

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 01:28:38 PM »

door has had paint work at some point...
Biggest tell is...
The felt guides screwed (with little countersunk phillips head screws) to the outside of the door are completely covered in orange paint...
I believe the skin was taped off and painted at some point. It looks like the stripes were taped off and painted around. The strips are original, but not the paint around them... I don't think the paper on the inside of the door had ever been off.

Hawk
69 SS396 L34 M21 BS Hugger Orange
Pages: 1 [2]  All Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: