CRG Discussion Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2014, 01:18:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Welcome to the CRG Discussion Forum!
Forum registration problems: Make sure you enter your email correctly and you check your spam box first. *Then* email KurtS2@gmail for help.
103301 Posts in 12154 Topics by 4689 Members
Latest Member: merle
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  CRG Discussion Forum
|-+  Camaro Research Group Discussion
| |-+  Originality
| | |-+  Original 1969 standard grille
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Original 1969 standard grille  (Read 1278 times)
bergy

View Profile Email
« on: September 23, 2013, 11:31:17 AM »

I've tried to post this subject twice, but it didn't appear to show up on the discussion board.  I apologize if it's redundant or if it has been discussed before.  I was looking through some of my old parts stash over the weekend & noticed that the original grilles all had round ejector pin scars behind the rectangular cut outs in the grille.  In fact, a couple of the ejector pins must have been removed from the mold in one of the grilles, because a long plastic projection was left on the part where the ejector pin should have been.  I've always looked for the "bone" colored plastic to ID original grilles - is this another way of IDing them? ( i.e - looking for the round ejector pins?).  I don't believe that I have seen the round pins in that location on repro grilles.

Edgemontvillage

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 12:34:56 PM »

That molding detail doesn't appear on my original RS grill:

Lloyd
1969 RS Z/28 10 10 Preservation
69Z28

69 X33D80 Z28

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 02:39:20 PM »

Hey Lloyd, your bracket on the grill emblem looks to be installed wrong. Shouldn't it be flipped around? Was it this way on the RS grills?

GaryC

'UNRESTORED' 1969 Cortez Silver X33D80 Z28
bergy

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 03:01:34 PM »

I'm not sure about RS grilles.  Repro standard grilles do have ejector pins, but a lot fewer & different locations.  Repro pins are also well adjusted - really flush with the mold cavity - harder to spot. 
69Z28-RS

owner since '76

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »

Hey Lloyd, your bracket on the grill emblem looks to be installed wrong. Shouldn't it be flipped around? Was it this way on the RS grills?
I think Lloyd's emblem retainer is flipped and rotated, as it should be 'square' with the grill, and with the 'lips' registered around the grill bars.

Gary W.  /  69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood all tint
69 Corvette convertible, silver/black 350 hp,
60 Corvette white/red, 72 Corvette coupe (2), 
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55 Nomad, '57 Nomad, '57 B/A Sedan
Edgemontvillage

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 01:26:29 AM »

I think Lloyd's emblem retainer is flipped and rotated, as it should be 'square' with the grill, and with the 'lips' registered around the grill bars.

You can see by the undisturbed speed nuts (previous photo) that the backing plate has been on there a long time. The grill is original to the car and the emblem is in the correct position. I'm not suggesting the backing plate is correctly installed, however it appears the emblem has never been off the grill.  

Lloyd
1969 RS Z/28 10 10 Preservation
ZLP955

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 04:02:15 AM »

Interesting detail, if that's correct. The non-RS grills have the emblem centered on the gap between vertical dividers.

Tim - New South Wales, Australia
04A VN '69 z/28 69-69 715 ex-E/MP
JohnZ
CRG Member

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 01:42:31 PM »

I've tried to post this subject twice, but it didn't appear to show up on the discussion board.  I apologize if it's redundant or if it has been discussed before.  I was looking through some of my old parts stash over the weekend & noticed that the original grilles all had round ejector pin scars behind the rectangular cut outs in the grille.  In fact, a couple of the ejector pins must have been removed from the mold in one of the grilles, because a long plastic projection was left on the part where the ejector pin should have been.  I've always looked for the "bone" colored plastic to ID original grilles - is this another way of IDing them? ( i.e - looking for the round ejector pins?).  I don't believe that I have seen the round pins in that location on repro grilles.

My original non-RS grille has plenty of ejector pin locations, but none are longer than flush with the back side of the grille.

'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG
bergy

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 05:26:02 PM »

There are two rows of ejector pins missing on the repro grilles.  I guess that I'm making it too complicated though.  Here are the same areas on repro versus original - differences are easy to spot:

firstgenaddict

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 01:45:13 PM »

As a caveat I am also not claiming it to be "correct" however I can attest to the fact that Lloyds car never had the grille emblem removed from the time my buddies dad saw the car in the garage and told us about it to when it left Greenville. 
Here is the photo of it the first day we saw it... If you look real close you can see the corner sticking down below the emblem

James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"

Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://picasaweb.google.com/112392262205377424364/1969_Z28_Restoration
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: