Author Topic: Heater Hose Nipples  (Read 4445 times)

Camarocards

• View Profile
Heater Hose Nipples
« on: September 24, 2013, 03:11:06 AM »
Were the heater hose nipples (not the bypass nipples) on the intake manifold and water pump on a '68 BB installed and painted at the time the engine was built?

Thanks,

Bob
Bob
'68 SS L35 01D

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: Heater Hose Nipples
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 12:09:30 PM »
That is a good question.  Here is a few pics of an original L78 car.  My guess is the one on the water pump was painted and the one on the intake zinc?  Extremely hard to tell on this one due to all the rust and I do not plain on removing them anytime soon.  Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Camarocards

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 01:18:43 PM »
Many thanks Darrell.

When I was at the Camaro Nationals in Frederick, MD this summer I saw a survivor L78 which appears to have the nipple on the water pump that was unpainted. I'm not at my home computer now but will post a picture of it tonight.

I'm also trying to unravel which type of nipple was used on both the intake manifold and water pump. Unfortunately the '68 AIM does not list the part numbers for a BB.  It would, however, appear from your picture and also the car that I saw at the Camaro Nationals, that the water pump nipple used a long hex type fitting and the intake manifold used a short type fitting. Not surprisingly all the Camaro vendors websites I visited have what appear to be the wrong type hex nipple for the big block water pump nipple. My car is an L35 but I would suspect that the L34, L35 and L78 all used the same type nipples but as you say, let's see what other say.

Thanks again,

Bob
Bob
'68 SS L35 01D

JohnZ

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 06:37:32 PM »
All heater hose fittings (at the intake and water pump) were installed at the car assembly plants - the fittings were unpainted zinc-plated (that's why the fittings and their part numbers show in the Assembly Manual).

Everything that shows in the Assembly Manual with a part number callout was installed on the Chevrolet side of the plant; parts without part number callouts came into the plant as a detail part of an assembly.
'69 Z/28
Fathom Green
CRG

Mike S

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 08:33:30 PM »
Bob,

Both of my '67 L35 BB's have the long hex body on the water pump side and the short on on the manifold side.
I agree that the parts outlets are wrong in their description.

Mike
67 04B LOS SS/RS L35 Hardtop - Original w/UOIT
67 05B NOR SS/RS L35 Convertible - Restored

Camarocards

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 01:27:20 AM »
As mentioned in my earlier post, here is a picture of an L78 survivor that clearly shows the unpainted hex type nipple on the water pump.

Many thanks to all for your help!

Bob
Bob
'68 SS L35 01D

anything