Author Topic: Leaf spring removal  (Read 8330 times)

DyRally-Z1986

• View Profile
Leaf spring removal
« on: September 18, 2013, 12:14:46 PM »
Can someone tell me how I should go about getting the leaf springs out now that the 3 bolts on each side (that attach to the front of the leaf springs to the floor pan) have seem broke. I attempted to turn them last night and they are just turning and making a "crunching sound". I got the rear shackle bolts out with no problem but the fronts have got me stuck!

cook_dw

• View Profile
Re: Leaf spring removal
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 01:42:41 PM »
You have to forgive me cause its been a few years since I pulled the leafs out of one of my cars.

Are you saying the 3 bolts that hold the front leaf spring bracket are stripped or are the nuts that are on the inside broken their spot welds?  Arent there pockets in and around that area that would allow you to get to the once welded nuts?  If not and the nuts are spinning I would cut the heads of the bolts off and get the leaf & bracket out of the way to get to the nuts.   

Iluv69s

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 02:05:44 PM »
That is common. You need to cut the heads off the bolts...then you can fish out the remaining carriage nuts inside the frame once the leaf assembly is removed. I would use a cut-off wheel and try not damage the bucket. other option is a torch.

DyRally-Z1986

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 02:54:41 PM »
Yeah it's the front portion of the leaf spring bracket that has 3 bolts for each bracket. I was able to get one of the bolts out and now the other 5 have stripped of something. They just turn and don't even make an attempt to come out. The bolts go up into the frame or undercarriage and I have no way to grab the opposite ends of the bolts. So i guess grinding the heads off is my only option...

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 03:17:47 PM »
Those bolts screw into a 'captive nut'.. which simply clips into the frame bracket.   The clip portion of the captive nut is much thinner metal and can rust away before the nut does.. and when the clip (that holds it in place) is rusted, then the nut (and whatever portion of the clip that remains) just 'spins' when you try to remove the bolt.  As someone said, remove the head of the bolt (without damaging the other parts) using a cut off wheel or hack saw or chisel?).. and go from there..
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

DyRally-Z1986

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 03:20:26 PM »
Okay guys thanks a lot. I'm going to get on that tonight. I keep trying to attach pictures so you have a better idea of what I'm talking about but it keep saying error or too large.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 03:41:49 PM »
FYI on photos use something like photobucket.com to store your pics & use the URL in the post.  Plus it's free.

DyRally-Z1986

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 01:19:06 AM »
The leaf springs came right out with the reccomend advice. I used a grinder to cut the heads of the bolts off and the leaf springs fell right out. Thanks guys for the help. I'm just beginning my restoration of my Z/28 so hope you don't mind all the questions that will be forthcoming.

anything