Author Topic: First time Camaro gen 1 buyer  (Read 18616 times)

Jbyer8

• View Profile
First time Camaro gen 1 buyer
« on: September 16, 2013, 03:37:06 AM »
Finally saved up enough money to buy one. I've done some research to learn a couple things but I'm a true novice. I found a 1968 Camaro, not matching. Before i make the 6 hr drive I'm just curious if things look correct. I learned from the cal tag that it was originally butternut yellow, black seats, black top ( converted to hardtop at some point l) and a V8. I'm post pics next.

Jbyer8

• View Profile
Re: First time Camaro gen 1 buyer
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 03:40:42 AM »
Cal tag

Jbyer8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 03:42:14 AM »
Engine

Jbyer8

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 03:48:32 AM »
Work performed

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 12:06:36 PM »
Welcome to the site and congrats on potentially becoming a 1st gen owner.  To answer your question; its kinda hard to tell you much about the car from just the cowl tag minus the paint color & interior.  What is it exactly that you are wanting to know? 

Jbyer8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 12:44:06 PM »
Does the cal tag above look correct? I hear stories about people faking them. I'm hopefully seeing the car in person for the first time this weekend. Is there anything I should look for to make sure I'm not getting a junker with fresh paint? On the inspection sheet it appears they replaced a lot of items. Are any of the repairs a good thing or are they just filler to make it appear its alot?

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 01:30:18 PM »
The tag looks beat up but seems fine.  I would need to see the vin to know if it falls in line with the tag.

Here is a list of things I would check.  

1.  Make sure the hidden vin matches the vin on the dash. -  http://www.camaros.org/numbers.shtml#VIN
2.  Look for all the areas of rust (since this was a vinyl top car definitely look around the front and back glass), floor pans, trunk area, rear quarter areas etc.
3.  If you are concerned if the engine is original to the car or not. - http://www.camaros.org/drivetrain.shtml#PadStamps
4.  Ditto on the transmission. - http://www.camaros.org/drivetrain.shtml#trans
5.  Ditto on the rearend - http://www.camaros.org/drivetrain.shtml#axle

Honestly, if you just want a good car that is a great driver that you want to enjoy then I would just verify #1 & 2.  These cars were meant to be driven regardless the rarity of them.  When I finish my 3 they all will be driven as much as possible (weather permitting).  If I were you I would spend as much time as possible reading over the info on this site before making a purchase.  If you do not find the answers you are looking for just ask.  Someone here will help you.

http://www.camaros.org

FWIW:
I would at least have the seller send as many pics as they could of the undercarriage, hidden vins, and whatever else you wanted to view before wasting time to look at a car..  

Jbyer8

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 01:42:40 PM »
Thanks for all the info. Included is vin on dash.

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 01:49:56 PM »
RED FLAG..

That vin does not line up with the build date...  I would ask the seller to get pictures of the hidden vins..

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 02:10:04 PM »
On my '69, I was able to see the hidden VIN under the cowl panel without removing the panel, by using a bright light and viewing thru the cowl vent slots...   From a 'legality' of ownership perspective, he should at least verify that the VIN he's considering purchase of is actually the original VIN of the car by checking at least one of the hidden VINs.   It appears he's not interested in a 'matching numbers' Camaro, or one with 'special mfg features', but just wanting a nice Camaro to drive.   And the car he's considering admittedly is a 'modified' car.    that said, and if he understands that then the only things he really needs to verify are:
1) Is the VIN correct (this is a legal issue wrt ownership of the car)...??  If this isn't true.. then RUN..
2) Does the car exhibit signs of improper rust or wreck repair? 
3) Does the modified car have the features he desires in a driver Camaro (ie. engine, trans, brakes, interior, etc)?
4) Were the modifications performed to his satisfaction?
5) Does he LIKE the way the car looks and drives for the price ...?

IMO the trim plate only states how Chevrolet built the car initially, and once a car is modified (and if the owner is happy with it), it really matters now at this point in time.
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Jbyer8

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 02:27:04 PM »
Little confused now. I emailed dealer and asked to see pic of hidden vin, should I be worried by his response of "what do you mean hidden vin"

If it matters I'm using JJ best and they said vin matches the title which I assume is a good thing.

Like 69Z28 said, I know it's not numbers matching and its been modified. It has all the features I'm looking for and car IMO looks really sharp. I'm just not sure if pricing is correct. I know everyone has their own pricing points but I'm not sure where to even begin or now what's remotely appropriate.

Could this be a firebird frame with Camaro sheet metal? I've heard that before. Thanks again for all the help

cook_dw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 02:35:36 PM »
On my '69, I was able to see the hidden VIN under the cowl panel without removing the panel, by using a bright light and viewing thru the cowl vent slots...   From a 'legality' of ownership perspective, he should at least verify that the VIN he's considering purchase of is actually the original VIN of the car by checking at least one of the hidden VINs.   It appears he's not interested in a 'matching numbers' Camaro, or one with 'special mfg features', but just wanting a nice Camaro to drive.   And the car he's considering admittedly is a 'modified' car.    that said, and if he understands that then the only things he really needs to verify are:
1) Is the VIN correct (this is a legal issue wrt ownership of the car)...??  If this isn't true.. then RUN..
2) Does the car exhibit signs of improper rust or wreck repair?  
3) Does the modified car have the features he desires in a driver Camaro (ie. engine, trans, brakes, interior, etc)?
4) Were the modifications performed to his satisfaction?
5) Does he LIKE the way the car looks and drives for the price ...?

IMO the trim plate only states how Chevrolet built the car initially, and once a car is modified (and if the owner is happy with it), it really matters now at this point in time.

That was kinda my point..  If the vin matches the title & you are ok with it & like the car then go for it.  I personally would not buy a car if the vin tag & hidden vin did not match.  Other than that ultimately if you are happy with the car then that's all that matters.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 03:01:46 PM »
Mr Byer,

I second what has been said before about getting as many photos as possible of the chassis, underneath, engine compartment etc.. AND talking to the current owner..  how long has he owned it, What work has he done on it, who did he get it from, where from?, etc..   ie. Find out as much as you can, and if you hear 'anything' that doesn't jive .. then be very careful.   If you like the photos, and the price, then take a knowledgable friend with you to serve as your 'consultant'..  Sometimes when we want something so badly we can 'taste it'..  we lose our perspective.. :)    The 'consultant/friend' will see the car much more objectively than you will.. :)

If you aren't sure about what you are seeing, or what you want, or what is 'correct' or not re an early Camaro, then I second/third what you've been told before re 'take some time on this site and the TC site'..  read all the posts... examine all the photos..   check out local Camaros for sale, find a club and go to club meetings..  etc..  in short.. LEARN all you can about these cars BEFORE you think seriously of purchasing a car.    With the price these cars can sell for, you can get seriously hurt (financially and emotionally) if you pay for a 'good car'.. and get something much less than that!
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Jbyer8

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 03:58:08 PM »
Cook DW

I read that the vin doesn't tell you anything about build date. Is that not true?

Jbyer8

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 03:58:49 PM »
On a 1968 Camaro that is

anything