Author Topic: Window regulators - clean up or replace?  (Read 4899 times)

randfr

• View Profile
Window regulators - clean up or replace?
« on: August 19, 2013, 08:55:21 PM »
There are several online posts about how to take windows out of first gen camaros and how to put them back together--much better than the Fisher Body instructions.

So now I've got the front windows and vent windows out, but not sure exactly where to go from here.  The seals on the vent windows are shot, so I know I have to take that apart and have new seals enroute.

As for the regulator, rollers, tracks on the front window:

The rear main roller that goes up and down the vertical track is just a stub.  I've ordered a replacement from Ground Up that claims to be a Camaro roller part number (WR-068).  Has anybody used the part; how do I attach it?

I've cleaned the gunk out of the tracks.  I've cleaned the gunk out of the regulator teeth.  All in all it was pretty clean and rolled up an down fairly well before disseambly.  The rollers on the regulator are intact, but don't really roll well.  I put a bunch of white lithium grease on the tracks and the rollers yesterday hoping the rollers would loosen up.

Should I put the grease on the teeth also and wind it back and forth to lube the mechanism?

How much grease should be in the tracks when I reinstall them?  Thin film or well lubricated?

How much cleaning should I do of the regulator teeth themselves.  The regulator itself looks like it has a galvanized finish.  Avoid chemicals and wire brushes?

At what point do I consider the regulator replaceable?

thanks

ban617

• View Profile
Re: Window regulators - clean up or replace?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 02:09:11 AM »
    How are the splined ends ? I cleaned some regulators for a 55 chevy that were rusted ..2 of them were stuck... Bead blasted them and turned the stuck part out blasted that ....Washed them up in the parts washer and they operated smooth ... Put a coat of duplicolor rattle can DP green primer on them and they worked and looked new....

jmcbeth

• 1st and 5th Gen Camaros
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 02:29:49 AM »
Randfr,

Mine are '69 Camaros, so I don't have the vent windows. For me, I replaced the rollers. The reproduction ones are fine. I had to replace the quarter window regulators because the teeth were shot. The repos also work fine. I kept the tracks, just wiped them off. I used white litho and used it liberally.

As to how you install the rollers, there is a tool (Rick's part number HW-26) that is a must.
John
1969 Camaro Z/28 RS
Numbers Matching

hotrod68

• almost finished
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 10:00:19 AM »
Beware--some repro door window regulators have weak springs that make the glass a bear to roll up. Good luck!
HotRod'68  1968 SS350 coupe undergoing frame-off resto/rod. 386/350/4.11s
Butternut Yellow    black standard interior

firstgenaddict

• caretaker of 1971 LT1's 11130 & 21783
    • View Profile
    • Groome Family Automobiles
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 06:50:58 PM »
IF they are not bent or sloppy worn, then you can clean them then use white lithium on the rollers and tracks and I use a Mobile1 Open face gear lube (hi-tac).
When properly lubed and adjusted your windows will roll up and down with-out "needing help" or requiring the user to hold their mouth just right.
James
Collectin' Camaro's since "Only Rednecks drove them"
Current caretaker of 1971 LT1's - 11130 and 21783 Check out the Black 69 RS/Z28 45k mile Survivor and the Lemans Blue 69 Z 10D frame off...
https://plus.google.com/photos/112392262205377424364/albums?banner=pwa

anything