Author Topic: 2013 Watkins Glen and Lime Rock HTA events  (Read 17981 times)

klvn8r

• View Profile
2013 Watkins Glen and Lime Rock HTA events
« on: September 09, 2013, 05:35:49 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, one of the Penske Camaros was wrecked at Watkins Glen this past weekend.  Pictures....thoughts????

klvn8r

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 10:32:50 PM »
Wow, I hadn't heard that.  I sure hope not.

I know "oldtransamdriver" Robert Barg went to that event so maybe he will fill us in on the happenings over the past weekend.
Jon Mello
CRG

MO

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 02:18:07 AM »
I hate to see that.

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 03:56:40 AM »
That appears to be the '68 Sunoco Camaro Bill Bryan bought from Don Lee.  I hope Bill is OK.  Looks like a heck of an impact.
Jon Mello
CRG

1109RWHP

• View Profile
Re: 2013 Watkins Glen and Lime Rock HTA events
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 04:27:03 AM »
I pitty the photographer. Too close of a call.

69Z28-RS

• owner since 4-Apr-1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 01:24:14 PM »
It sounded as if the photographer was working on the outside of a corner; any idea if that's true?   That's a dangerous spot...
09C 69Z28-RS, 72 B 720 cowl console rosewood tint
69 Corvette, '60 Corvette, '72 Corvette
90 ZR1 red/red #246, 90 ZR1 white/gray #2466
72 El Camino, '55-'56-'57 Nomads, '55-'57 B/A Sedan

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 01:32:43 PM »
Yes, that's how I read it.  A tragedy to wreck the car and hurt yourself, made even worse by seriously hurting a bystander.  I hope everyone makes a full and complete recovery.
Jon Mello
CRG

billgodwin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 11:27:43 PM »
I just heard from Bill's friend Pat Ryan that "Bill is home.  Nothing was broken. Bruised ribs and blurred vision. Lots of pain but he will be OK."
It was scary being on the track and seeing the aftermath thru the windshield. After the red flag condition had been lifted and we were getting ready for the restart a huge lump in my stomach formed after seeing two helicopters leaving the track. My prayers for a speedy recovery go out to Bill and photographer Ron Levanduski.
Bill Godwin #23 Camaro

it was

oldtransamdriver

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 01:01:16 AM »
Yes, too bad about the accident but these things happen in racing.  I had a great time tramping around the paddock and visiting some old racer guys I hadn't seen in many years like Waren Agor and
Dan Furey.  Warren had his last IMSA Monza entered but had mechanical problmes and didn't race. Dan was there with his Mustang and so was Jan Nelson and his Mustang.

It was great to meet up with Ed Wheatley and the old Hoffman camaro which Ed drove very well.  Bill and Jan looked good out on the track also.

On the way home we had to stop in at the Village Variety store and found 3 original new 70,71,72 T/A programs which I had to buy. Had sold the 68 Kent program to Ike who now has
the Tatum/Pendleton Cougar that was in that race, and also got Warren to buy a 74 IMSA/Can-Am program in which he drove both his McLaren and Camaro.  I almost broke even ha ha.

There was also a great media lunch on the Saturday hosted by SVRA and m c'd very well by Mike Joy who had a guest drive in the race.

Robert Barg

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2013, 03:56:27 AM »
Bill and Robert, thanks for your thoughts and observations from the WG race weekend.
Jon Mello
CRG

gbvette62

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 10:57:35 PM »
Hi, this is my first post here. I discovered this site a few weeks ago, while trying to do some research for a customer who's restoring a 69 Z/28. I have a Corvette parts business, and normally I'm a Corvette person. In spite of my addiction to Corvettes, I've always been a fan of the Trans Am series, and the first generation Z/28's. The first road race that I ever attended, was the 1969 Watkins Glen Trans Am, and I crewed for a Trans Am/IMSA GTO team, in the 80's.

I was at Watkins Glen last weekend, crewing for one of the Historic Trans Am entrants. Jim Glass, of Kingston NY, is a friend of mine, who vintage races Corvettes. I crew for Jim, when time allows. Besides his Corvettes, Jim also has a 67 Camaro, that was raced in a couple 1972 Trans Am races, by Jocko Maggiacomo.

Below is a link to a post I started on the Corvette Forum, that features some of the pictures I took of the Trans Am cars, at Watkins Glen. The first group of pictures, are some of the vintage Corvettes that raced at The Glen (after all, it is the "Corvette Forum" ;D). If you scroll down, you will find quite a few pictures, of the Trans Am cars there too. The shots included aren't limited to the Camaro's though. I believe every TA car entered, is included in my post; including the Mustangs, Cougars, Challenger, Javelin and the 63 Falcon!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-and-c2-corvettes/3338799-watkins-glen-us-vintage-grand-prix-warning-lots-of-pics.html  

Jon Mello

• CRG Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 05:32:47 AM »
Thanks for signing up and making your first post. I appreciate you providing a link to your pictures from Watkins Glen.
You must have a good camera, those are some nice shots. Very cool that you were there at the '69 Trans-Am race. I
imagine you had a feeling of deja vu seeing the large group of Trans-Am cars there last weekend.

Robert Barg was kind enough to send me the link to a 25-minute video on the SVRA website showing last weekend's race.
This video is pretty neat and includes in-car footage as well as shots from lots of different areas of the track.
http://www.svra.com/video/svra-historic-trans-am-race-at-watkins-glen-2013/

Also of note, the Historic Trans-Am website has put up 10 pages of Jimmy Huston's photos from the 2013 Lime Rock vintage
race weekend. Very neat to see Sam Posey at the track checking out his old Dodge Challenger.
http://www.historictransam.com/racephotos/2013LimeRock-1.html
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 06:09:15 PM by Jon Mello »
Jon Mello
CRG

mls68z28

• View Profile
Mitch,1968 Z28 03C Norwood,03/18/68,Seneca Falls NY,Z/28 Emblems.Purchase 05/04/78

anything